I can't wait

Citrus Heights, CA(Zone 9b)

Here is another good one waiting for Spring. Mr. Thunbergia gibsonii (Orange Clock Vine)

This message was edited Dec 7, 2004 10:32 AM

Thumbnail by RichSwanner

This is it's cute little pod it pops out of.

Thumbnail by RichSwanner
Deep South Coastal, TX(Zone 10a)

I love that color!! OK, who has that one for sale? Kartuz? I gotta find one. You have the most beautiful plants Monterey.

Grass Lake, MI(Zone 5a)

I need one of those ... great color.

in Houston, TX(Zone 9a)

Monterey,
Wonderful picture .The color just pops out at you. Where did you find this one? Thanks for sharing your pictures.
Patti

That's from The Monterey Bay Nursery company. It is gibsonii rather than greggii. Almost the same plant with just slight variations.Rich

I found the tag.

Thumbnail by RichSwanner
Bushland, TX(Zone 6a)

Monterey,can you give me a flower size and color variation comparing it to the mexican love vine?
Don

Ventura, United States(Zone 10b)

Don, the flower is slightly bigger than the Mexican Flame Vine flower. I found mine at Home Depot in one-gallon containers. It roots easily from layering.

Mine is still blooming. This one blooms year round for me. This picture was taken on November 14. It climbed my arbor, then my wisteria, and is now working on climbing my magnolia. It is a good grower and is best grown in full shade.

Thumbnail by Clare_CA
Bushland, TX(Zone 6a)

Thanks Clare,
Can you tell me how many days the flowers stay open,or is a one day flower?
Looking for vines that stay in flower for most of the summer more than a one day affair.
Wanting the long lasting color,fragrance would be a plus also.
Don

Hi Don, I've never noticed how many days, but I would guess at least a week. Unfortunately, there is no fragrance from this one. I can easily root you a cutting of this one and send it to you with the other thing.

Bushland, TX(Zone 6a)

Thanks,I love the tropical orange color,first thing the eye catches first!
Yours is rooting also,well I hope it does....
Don

It is a lovely color. Consider it done. If mine doesn't root this time, I'm sure you'll get it the next time. Just don't cut your vine to pieces on my behalf, especially if it is pretty small. You have the Mexican Flame Vine, don't you? Did I send you that one?

This message was edited Dec 10, 2004 12:08 PM

Thumbnail by Clare_CA
Bushland, TX(Zone 6a)

Yes I have the mexican flame vine, I got from you last spring thanks, I had some new growth,which is what I was waiting on to start your cutting. I waited until it reached a pretty nice size,now I just hope it roots during the winter time,using the wet foam and water method,with a clear dome for humidity.Keeping my fingers crossed!!!

Jackson, SC(Zone 8a)

oh what a pretty color. see my home depot is lacking in flowers. i guess i am on the wrong side of the Usa. would love both vines maybe i better talk to home depot and tell them we need flowers like you all get.

pretty

Bushland, TX(Zone 6a)

I heard the reason the don't bring in a large selection of tropical flowers to
wichita,kansas,is that they have the 1 year free replacement ,if the plant doesn't make it,not being hardy zone 6,they would be broke replacing them.
So they just mainly have perrinals hardy to zone 6.
Even Lowes have the regular houseplant selections,and will probably carry a few more tropicals than Home Depot.

Good point! I wondered too.

Modi'in, Israel

we have that thunbergia here too and I've got a special spot to put it in once spring comes around and the garden centers carry it again. I wanted to put it in the garden last month, but they stopped offering this one in September apparently. Oh well....I'll just have to be patient! LOL

Jackson, SC(Zone 8a)

well i know ours has that replacemnet policy so i guess there goes the vine. okay lets see a source for it. its gotta be out there somewhere. off to hunt for it?

I am going to move mine. Last year the sun pretty much killed the blooming show once it got really hot here. I would suggest that early sun then shade is the best if it's hot at all.

Thumbnail by RichSwanner

Imzadi, Kartuz has it for $6: http://www.kartuz.com/floweringvines.html

Did it produce seeds yet? If so would you be open to trading?

Joseph

Des Moines, IA(Zone 5a)

I'm guessing thats a 'full sun' vine? I see Tropicman grows it in zone 6, would it work in zone 4/5?

I've never seen seeds on my Orange Clock Vine, Thunbergia gregorii. Orange Clock Vine is hardy to Zone 10 and needs to be protected from frost so it would have to be brought into a greenhouse during the winter. It does best in part sun or full shade.

Chariton, IA(Zone 5b)

I grew it last year and collected a few seeds from it. They are very sparce for as many blooms as it had. I love the velvet look to the blooms and the soft leaves. I did grow mine in full sun. Now, I'm crossing my fingers that I'll be able to get some of those seeds to germinate.

Des Moines, IA(Zone 5a)

I probably wont have the room, LOL! A few people on these threads have been very generous with seeds, If I have any left in May I'll bring them to share and/or trade at the Iowa Roundup.

Greensburg, IN(Zone 6a)

if anyone have seeds I would sure like to have a couple, I have never seed this plant, and I love the colors.

Doris

Chariton, IA(Zone 5b)

Doris, if you are unable to find anyone with seeds to share, here is where I bought some last year for $3.75 each in three inch pots. http://www.mountainvalleygrowers.com/orderform4.htm They were very nice when they came, but I don't think my lights were strong enough to hold them over the winter.

I'm starting some Thunbergia fragrans if you had an inclination to make a trade. I ought to know about germination of my seeds by the end of the week. Here's a link to a picture of one of last year's flowers with a zinnia species (latter is the composite with the yellow) http://users.rcn.com/jdespins/Pictures/2004/September%202/Thunbergia%20fragrans.jpg

Joseph

This message was edited Jan 2, 2005 7:33 PM

Winnipeg, MB(Zone 4a)

monterey would you have a few seeds of the orange clock for me to trade you for? I've never seeds anywhere and I can't buy plants from the US nurseries unless I pay big bucks to have US Customs say everything is okay.
:) Donna

I bought this plant from Plant Safari, and WOW they sent this massive vine full of flowers; it arrived in the mail just yesterday and I can't wait to see it grow through the summer! Such a pure, intense orange color!! I highly recommend Plant Safari, I have bought many plants from them, mainly salvia species, and each one is a well established plant with a HUGE root system...can't praise that company enough.

Joseph

Thanks, Joseph. You might add that lovely positive comment to the Garden Watchdog for others to see as well when they go to order. Here's a link: http://davesgarden.com/gwd/c/3729/ They are right between Ventura and Summerland in Santa Barbara County where I grew up! I've never been there, but I might stop one of these days.

Thanks, Clare, I had meant to do that...you made it easy to enter the comment and it is now on their record. I tell no tale, the main stem was maybe almost 1/2 inch in diameter. Must be nice to have them so close to where you live!

Joseph, I will have to stop there one of these times. My mom has told me that there are some really nice nurseries in Carpinteria. By the way, the Orange Clock Vine will form roots at the nodes anywhere where the vines lay on moist soil so you can start new plants easily that way. I have two of these vines growing up an arbor in almost full shade. The leaves look a little tattered after winter, but they will drop and new ones will form. When pruning, you may want to wear long sleeves as the little hairs on the leaves and stems can irritate the skin when they touch you.

Thumbnail by Clare_CA

Thank you for the tip on propagating it, Clare! That's an impressive plant in the picture! I am taken by how robust this species is; in comparison, my T. fragrans and T. battescombei are quite petite. Nevertheless I love 'em all.

Sure thing, Joseph. Here is a better picture of it below. In the earlier picture, it had crawled up a wisteria and the even higher into the magnolia trees. When I moved the wisteria, I had to cut it back some. This is what it looks like now. Yes, you are right that it is a very good grower and does seem to grow faster than the other Thunbergias. I had a problem with spider mites living on the back of the leaves for a while. I think they are gone now, but you might want to be on the lookout for them if those things are a problem in your area like they are for me. I'll be checking on that soon. The vine in the picture is growing from a container up the arbor. I have read that it likes to have its roots crowded in a container.

Thumbnail by Clare_CA

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.