Got a P. quadrangularis at a bargain

Mesilla Park, NM

Well this is a plant that was returned to Lowes and this is what the label looks like.

Thumbnail by Gourd
Mesilla Park, NM

I am just hoping that it is what it say's it is. This is the label on the container (and it was 5.00) ...

Thumbnail by Gourd
Mesilla Park, NM

Here is the tag for P. Alata "Ruby Glow" also from Lowes.. it is faded as it has been out all summer.

Thumbnail by Gourd
Mesilla Park, NM

Now here it is blooming on Thanksgiving day.

Thumbnail by Gourd
Mesilla Park, NM

Clare,

The photo on the first tag does look an awful lot like the bloom in the third photo. Could they be the same plant?

Well, I am very happy to have found this return last night, now just will wait till next year to see the flowers.

Chariton, IA(Zone 5b)

Whatever it is, you got a good deal. Pretty bloom.

Bushland, TX(Zone 6a)

Hi Gourd,
Is the stem shape of both vines square or round in shape?
Or are they different.
Don

Mesilla Park, NM

Don,
The Ruby Glow has a square looking stem.. gotta go check the other vine, have it recuperating in the detached garage area. Took this photo yesterday. It is pretty tall, I hope it makes it. Exuse my mess, this is one of the rooms that flooded three times last month, I just swept some of the mud that dried out, but it is still there.

Thumbnail by Gourd
Bushland, TX(Zone 6a)

Ok,
I thought the song says never rains in southern california...LOL!

Mesilla Park, NM

lol... yeah, that's what the song says... It never rains in CA..

The one with the quadrangularis tag is also square.

Here is the rain from last month, only took pictures the first time, the other times looked exactly like this..lol Our trees have gotten a few good drinks this year, that is really good, and the weeds are growing fast. I guess I have to go get that old car out of there, had to wait till the mud got hard, only it rained a little today too.

Thumbnail by Gourd
Bushland, TX(Zone 6a)

Thanks,I was hoping that might be able to distinguish between warmlands and alata ruby glow.

Is there a creek or river near by,or is that just rain water?
We get floods over our curbs when it rauns hard here up to the sidewalk,about 2ft deep or better,lucky the house is built up higher.
This is very unusal to get that much rain there right?
Is this the regular rainy season now?

Mesilla Park, NM

We live in a FEMA flood zone, it is supposed to happen only every 100 years..lol hopefully soon (next two years) our problems will be solved, 115 homes are going to be built behind our house and some kind of drainage will be put in. Now we will just have to worry about the front of the house.

The passie looks like it is recovering some, I think it had been planted before, then they dug it up and put it back into the pot when they took it back. So it has double shock.

Bushland, TX(Zone 6a)

Hopefully it will make a full recovery.
Good luck

Ventura, United States(Zone 10b)

Hi Antoinette, I just saw this thread tonight. I'm sorry that I missed it earlier.

You are right that the flowers look similar on the tags, but I wouldn't worry about that because in fact the P. alata "Ruby Glow" flower does look like P. quadrangularis flower except I think that the "Ruby Glow" flower has longer threads. P. alata "Ruby Glow" should have four pollen glands, and P. quadrangularis should have six pollen glands. You can find the yellow pollen glands at the base of each leaf. They look like little butterfly eggs, but they are attached! Go count and let us know!

Edited to add: If you do indeed have P. quadrangularis, it is very cold-sensitive and needs to be kept above 45 degrees.

This message was edited Dec 11, 2004 8:55 PM

Deep South Coastal, TX(Zone 10a)

Gourd, when you live in a 100 year flood plain it actually means you have a 1% chance of being flooded. The chances you will get flooded are greater than the chance of winning the lottery.(Interpreting flood zones is part of my job).

Mesilla Park, NM

Clare, the darn leaves on each of the plants only have two bumps, one on each side. Maybe I am looking at the wrong things. Do all the leaves have them even when the plant is young? or do they get more as it matures? I will check again.

Hi Cala, gosh, does that mean EVERY time it rains, there is one percent chance I get flooded? Oh man. We are in trouble here, although it had not happened since we moved here almost in spring of 2001. Normally it is like desert and we pray for rain here.

Antoinette, I think I made a mistake. I just checked my leaf stems on P. alata "Ruby Glow," and I have two pollen glands on that one also. Then I checked my P. quadrangularis "Warmlands," and it has four. I think P. quadrangularis has four and sometimes six pollen glands. Sorry for the mistake. I think you might have P. alata, but it is still a great deal on one of the most wonderful passiflora flowers. Yes, even small leaves should have them at the base. They shouldn't get any more than they all have now. I sure hope you win the lottery and that you don't get flooded!

Gourd, not every time it rains, but in any given year you have 1% chance of a flood, so that's not bad, lol. We have flood zones here that have a greater chance of flooding in any given year, (we are sea level and below in a lot of the county) and they don't flood every year, only when we have monsoon rains.
Clare, the passionflower book says that P. quadrangularis has 6 glands on 90% of it's mature leaves and 4 glands on the remaining 10%, so to get a true count, you need at least 10 mature leaves on the plant.
My P. decaisneana has 4 glands on 90%(or more) of it's mature leaves and 6 glands on a few leaves.

Mesilla Park, NM

This is really great, I am learning alot from you all. Now when visiting Lowes or HD, I will know what to look for. Thanks for all the info you all gave me. Antoinette

Thanks, Susie, for clearing that up. That is good to know! I learn so much here:-)

I didn't know till I looked it up and wouldn't have done that if Bugfreak hadn't questioned the one I posted a few days ago. I learned something too! That's what I love about DG, learn something new all the time. I didn't know the Ruby Glow had 2 glands and that wasn't in the book, so your experience sure helped.

Bushland, TX(Zone 6a)

You all are great teachers,has tissue cultures being done with passifloras yet?
Don

I feel like we should have a group hug:-) LOL!

Hi Don! I have no idea about that one!

Bushland, TX(Zone 6a)

I agree,but my arms can't reach from coast of Texas to the coast of Californy!!
If sterilization is the key to sucessful tissue cultures,are they doing these in labortories or greenhouses?
Does anybody know where they are being done,for any plants?
I know they do orchids ,in a big way down in Florida.

Agri-starts and Winterberry Farms(one is in Fla and one is in GA) are big time tissue culture of a variety of plants. I think they both have websites and I know Agristarts does a good bunch of tropical plants. Terra-Nova is on the West coast and does TC of lots of perennials and some tropical plants.
OK, if everyone comes to my house we can have a group hug.

LOL! I'm packin' a bag!

Bushland, TX(Zone 6a)

Saddling my horse!!!

Mesilla Park, NM

packin my bags and passies..llol

We're having a cold spell right now(was 48 this morning, brrr), so wait till Monday to come over. It's supposed to be warmed back up by then(and I'll have time to clean the house, lol)

Bushland, TX(Zone 6a)

Cala,48* would feel like a heat wave to our16* here this morning!!!
It might warm up to 40* today!
Toasty 87* in the sunroom,and 73* out in the greenhouse.
BTW,we aren't coming to see how clean your house is,were coming to frolic in the warm sunshine until April!!! LOL!
I checked out a few places that do TC,and a place in Va.has 14 acres under greenhouses.
I believe a lot of TC.are done more over seas,Austraila does a lot of them over there,I think the banana and orchid trade is where its done the most,there was a place in North Carolina that does it heavy in hostas.
Tissue Culture,might be a little expensive up front cost,but the amount of volume selling pays off big in the end results,I believe that is what it will take someday to be able to have the amount of plants ready availible for tropical gardners up north from the south and coastal regions,and yet make it profitable for the growers and retailers to provide them for retail.

For a fee Agristarts will TC custom orders of any plant that can be propagated that way.

Bushland, TX(Zone 6a)

I think I remember somebody one time from GW,that was trying to get enough people ,to go together to get ae ae banana tissue cultures done there,never heard how that went thru..
Hmmm,wonder if I could sell a couple thousand of them!!!

The AeAe doesn't TC easily, lots of times it's pure white or pure green, not a good percentage of true variegated ones(guess that's why it costs so much). I've heard the TC ones are best if you can find one though.

Bushland, TX(Zone 6a)

Well maybe someday,my ship will come in,but before it does,I'd better move closer to water!!! LOL!

When my ship comes in, I'll probably be waiting at the airport!

Bushland, TX(Zone 6a)

LOL!
Story of my life too!!!

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.