Watermelon Radish

SE Arky, United States(Zone 8a)

Do any of you grow Watermelon Radishes? I would love to learn about growing them and I would like to purchase plants or seeds - do you have any idea where I might locate them???? TIA!!

Augusta, GA(Zone 8a)

The Shinrimei (Rose Heart or Watermelon to westerners) is a chinese radish available from Evergreen Seeds. It grows to about three inches in diameter and is white with a bright red interior. It is considered a spring radish. Sow like a turnip and thin to about six inches apart.

Thumbnail by Farmerdill
SE Arky, United States(Zone 8a)

Thanks for your prompt and informative response!!! Do you think I could grow it in the greenhouse this winter??? Have you grown them and, if so, any pointers??? TIA!!!!

Augusta, GA(Zone 8a)

N o I have not grown it. Once grew the Chinese Rose winter which is a bout as close as I have come. Shinrimei is a little shorter season as I understand about the same as a turnip. If your zone 8a is anything like mine you will need to grow them in the winter. Either a September or Febrary planting as they cannot tolerate heat. I see no reason you could not grow it in a greenhouse except that it would hog valuable space that could produce a greater amount of produce.

Carmel, NY(Zone 6b)

Wow! Who knew? What a beauty! Thanks for the info. (ANOTHER for my shopping list... I'm afraid I'm going to have to move to a farm!)

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.