Thunbergia Grandaflora and "Alba"

Seale, AL(Zone 8b)

Would anybody be kind enough to tell me how to try and get these to root. I need to cut them all back for winter here real quick and they have vined all through my fence. Earlier in the year I tried taking some cuttings and putting them in water, but lost every one of them before they even got roots. Dig I try to root to long of a piece? Did they need to be started in dirt instead? I am doing something wrong for sure. Appreciate it.

Piedmont, MO(Zone 6a)

Hi starlight,
I root almost everything in a mix of 2 parts perlite to 1 part peat moss, with a clear plastic bag over the pot to conserve moisture. I place them in good indirect light and keep them warm. If the vines are woody, the rooting could take 2 -4 months, whereas other plants like coleus can root in a couple of weeks. Some plants root better in summer than in winter, too.
Hope this helps a little.

Niceville, FL(Zone 8b)

I root my thunbergia in peat moss. It is slow to root but other than that, I have no difficulty.

south of Grand Rapid, MI(Zone 5a)

I was a failure at rooting these- I went out and got new seed and started them - they were beautiful!! Just gonna do the seed thing this year too

Seale, AL(Zone 8b)

Thanks so much for the help. I gonna give it a try. I had grown the alba from seed. They took a long time to get going to, but I hate to cut al that vine back and not try and root some of it.

Thanks for th etime frame too so, I won't worry if nothing happens for a bit!

Appreciate the help!!!!!!!

Piedmont, MO(Zone 6a)

Good luck, and if you get overrun with rooted vines, let me know!

Seale, AL(Zone 8b)

I most certainly willl Toxic will be glad to share. Keep your fingers crossed for me. LOL.. I think I gonna need it. :)

Piedmont, MO(Zone 6a)

I'll cross my toes, too, if it will help!

Summerville, SC(Zone 8a)

Okay Ella and that should include the blue right ? All right I know go cut my white one right ? out the door before the frost , running out of containers here . LOL
Carolyn

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.