Couple of ??s about planting Asiatics

Central, KY(Zone 6b)

I just rec'd some Asiatic Lilies (last minute impulse purchase); measuring the lily bulb + the roots, they are 8 to 12" long. Am I supposed to dig a hole that deep plus the 8 inches to cover the bulb? A total of up to 20" deep? The other lilie bulbs I've planted this year haven't had long roots like that.

Also, what is the best way to handle all the tiny white bulbletts that are lose in the peat used for packing?

Thanks for your help!
Vicki

Lincoln, NE(Zone 5b)

Well, aren't you a lucky dog! How tall is just the bulb?

Here is how to deal with those bulblets http://www.landspro.com/page2.htm Scroll down about half way to "Scaly Bulbs" and proceed to the second page for further instructions.

Central, KY(Zone 6b)

Thanks Moby : )

The bulbs are about 2" tall, the roots are sooo long! Wasn't sure what to do, if I can cut them back some or what and I only have a small window of time to plant, they are calling for a major rain late tomorrow followed by another mid week, on top of the TONS of rain we've gotten already this fall. I don't know if I can get down 20" in this clay.

Greenwood, IN(Zone 5b)

Sadie,

Don't worry about the roots. Dig a hole about 6" deep (make sure the soil underneath the hole is not compacted and can drain and breathe) and plant the bulb...the base of the bulb should be at the bottom of the hole. The bulb will generate new roots and the old ones will decompose. Lily bulbs root initially from the bottom of the bulb, and then form roots also along the stem as it grows, so the hole should usually be about 3x the height of the bulb. You'll also notice after this season that new bulblets will develop along the stem above the bulb, and the main bulb itself will after a few years divide. The key with lily bulbs is to make sure you have good drainage and that water doesn't stand.

Lincoln, NE(Zone 5b)

Steve, I'm SO glad you came along! :)

Central, KY(Zone 6b)

Thanks for the info Steve! 6" holes are much more doable than 20", looks like I'll be planting lilies tomorrow!

Lincoln, NE(Zone 5b)

What kind of lilies did you get, Vicki?

Central, KY(Zone 6b)

Cote d'Azur "Fuchsia color" (5 bulbs)
Medallion "soft creamy yellow" (5 bulbs)
Magento "Soft pink" (5 bulbs)
Also got 10 Remembrance & 10 Silver Coral crocus

I ordered them from Pinetree Gardens Seeds' fall sale. I didn't know what to expect for the price, but they look pretty good to me, guess I'll know next summer! Plus all the little bulbletts : ) probably 10 or so total.

Lilies seem to be sneaking up on me like the daylilies did earlier ; )

Cedar Rapids, IA(Zone 5a)

Lilies have a way of doing that...

After seeing some DH member gardens on a private tour this summer, I added 48 colors with purchases & trades! Nothing like friends to get you into trouble....

Greenwood, IN(Zone 5b)

Thanks Moby :-)

Central, KY(Zone 6b)

LOL Wanda, friends can tend to do that! Between purchases and a very generous Ms. llilyfan, I increased my lilie colors by 12 this year : ) can't wait to see next years blooms!!!

I'm stocking up on film.... :)

Central, KY(Zone 6b)

I'm glad I practiced so much with my digi camera this year. If all goes (grows) well, I should have plenty of new blooms to take pics of next year!

Just doing my part to make America more beautiful--one garden at a time.

Greenwood, IN(Zone 5b)

Sadie,

I think you're going to love standard lilies (lilium). You did well by starting with Asiatics, since they're the easiest. They will multiply and perennialize like daffodils, and the bulbs are extremely tough in all weather conditions (although a late hard freeze can ruin an emerging sprout) so it's a shame they don't get more press. Many of them have extremely high bud counts, and you sure get more flower power from a single lily bulb than ANYTHING else I can think of...both in terms of flower size and number. Don't be alarmed if you just get a few the first year; that'll change. Also, make sure you try some Orienpets or Orientals. Their size and fragrance will blow you away. Just remember, key to success with any lily bulb is good drainage. Here are some Asiatics in my garden on around May 15.

This message was edited Dec 20, 2004 6:31 AM

This message was edited Dec 20, 2004 6:32 AM

Thumbnail by SteveIndy
Central, KY(Zone 6b)

Hi Steve,

I have a few unnamed Orientals and just love them and have just started branching out to the Asiatic and other types. I do love the scent of the orientals but wanted something that would multiply quicker. Your lilies are lovely, I am looking forward to my first new blooms next summer!

Steve, your lillums are lovely! Name of the peachy pink ones?
I like the variation in height & foliage that the lilies give me. Thanks to DG friends & a couple of purchases, my July gardens should look totally different next year....

Thumbnail by Wandasflowers
Greenwood, IN(Zone 5b)

Thanks Sadie and Wanda,

Wanda, I think those are Maribelle..I always get those and Philos confused for some reason, but I'm pretty sure that's it. Got them from B&D. I like the way your mix your flowers....gives a much more "natural" and I think more attractive look than the formal beds you so often see. Very nice!

Western, WI(Zone 4a)

Steve, are your red asiatic's "America"??

Maxine

Greenwood, IN(Zone 5b)

Hi Maxine,

I think they are called "Stones" - got them from Van Engelen :-)

You'll see alot more lilliums in my photos next year, hopefully.
That group of DG Des Moines area Lily Society (anahi, Iowaron, lilyfan) got their hooks into me and dragged me to 6 gardens late last June. I was knocked over by the colors & shapes. I dug out alot of my duplicates, widened beds & made room for more lilies. My poor iris all had to move forward a couple of rows or get smothered!

Lenexa, KS(Zone 6a)

Oh, Wanda....I hear tell them Iris love the company of Lilies.....

And daylilies and asters and mums and whatever else I throw in? Lilies are tall and above it all--they give me no trouble. We'll see what happens in the newly arranged beds this summer....

East Greenbush, NY

Hi all, just got hooked on lillies last year and have order oodles of asiatic and oriental..oh and I forgot, several dwarf versions.

?--live in New York State and am curious about our beautiful deers...do they like lillies and what can be done to discourage them for dining in our gardens? jeani4

Lenexa, KS(Zone 6a)

Hi Jeani and WELCOME to DG!!! I've been absent from DG for the last month or so as I bought a new home and have been getting settled in.

Deer in this part of the country (Kansas City area) LOVE my lily buds! Haven't really noticed them going for opened blooms though. I got so frustrated last year that I finally got some of that really smelling Deer Off stuff and sprayed it around. Almost made me get physically ill when I sprayed it, so I'd use a mask or something to protect your nose. Once it dries it has no odor though and it really did the trick to scare off my deer problem. I think it has coyote or bear urine or some such thing it it that is suppose to ward off the deer. Works good on getting rid of bunnies eating new perennial shoots too.

This message was edited Mar 22, 2005 11:39 PM

Norwood, MO(Zone 6a)

Welcome to DG, Jeani4!

Welcome to our Lily Forum, jeani4! New addicts & new trades? (wiping hands together & greedy grin)

No deer here--just the omnipresent Walker the wonderdog chasing rabbits thru my beds...

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.