Nemesia

Orangeville, PA(Zone 6a)

Hi! Had this beautiful plant for the summer. Where and how to harvest seeds? Are they microscopic? Should I just take a flower head and plant the whole darn thing and hope for the best? *grin* Any info much appreciated, as I just looooved that plant!

-gt-

Castro Valley, CA(Zone 9a)

Thanks for asking this question, I wonder the same thing!

San Jose, CA(Zone 9b)

The seeds are paper thin and white. When they dry in the little flat pods, if you don't get to them in time, the wind distributes them all over the garden. You may have missed the pods this year, but you'll probably have lots of extra plants next year.

Castro Valley, CA(Zone 9a)

Well I hope so, lol, thanks for the tip, Annie

Brookeville, MD(Zone 7a)

Do some cultivers not make seed?

San Jose, CA(Zone 9b)

Captmicha, not all of mine made seed.

Brookeville, MD(Zone 7a)

Oh, because I have this yummy nemesia parfait sachet I was hoping to make more of! Darn. Is there any other way to propagate?

Brookeville, MD(Zone 7a)

Bump. Cuttings?

Fenton, MO(Zone 5b)

oooo, just looked that up in the plant files and ran across you picture of it Capt. How lovely is that?! I have some seed, but I don't know which one it is, which color it is. Thats ok though, I love its habit and I'll take any color. :)

San Jose, CA(Zone 9b)

CaptMicha, I am sure it would be easy to take cuttings. When a branch is lying in the soil it easily roots itself, so you can also try that.

Brookeville, MD(Zone 7a)

If you think it looks good, it smells 100 times better! I hope I'll be able to get cuttings off it. It just doesn't do well from an over wintered plant.

Lewiston, CA(Zone 7b)

I had several different colors of this plant last year & it did nothing. It was the first year I had seen it & thought it was pretty, I wouldn't buy it again, it did that bad! I don't know what the secret to growing it is, but I didn't have it!!!

Brookeville, MD(Zone 7a)

It likes cool weather, so it will kind of languish in the hot CA sun. Mine is always the best during spring and early summer. And fall. I have trouble growing poppies for the same reason.

Seward, AK(Zone 3b)

Here's a 'not so good' photo of a nemesia seed pod. They are quite papery, about the size of a pencil eraser, but flatter. They have three points on the end, like a child's picture of a tulip, and they are filled with flat, fuzzy seeds. I've never grown any that don't put out seeds, but I've grown all mine from seed, so I can't speak for other cultivars. Even if you get seeds, some hybrids may not be viable or come back true.

Nemesia do extremely well in our climate... mild summers. I grow several different colors. I like Carnival mix because the colors are so eyecatching and the blooms are large. I also grow red/white and blue/white.

Thumbnail by Weezingreens
Brookeville, MD(Zone 7a)

Your link seems to be broken. I forgot about the not coming true thing, maybe it wasn't worth it. I'll stick to cuttings.

Seward, AK(Zone 3b)

CaptMica, what link are you referring to?

Brookeville, MD(Zone 7a)

It works now... hmm.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.