mystery lily

Port Harcourt, Nigeria

I posted this on the identification site and a knowledgeable person thought it was a lily, I was hoping a lily watcher might know which species, there seems to be an awful lot.

Thumbnail by portharcourt
Palmyra, IL(Zone 5b)

I sure don't know.If you have to much just let me know I'll take those extras off your hands.LOL.Do you have a photo of the whole plant?Thanks,Jody

Winnipeg, MB(Zone 2b)

Hi there.
Questions.
Where is Port Harcourt, what zone? In US or????>
Does it bloom like that every yer or not usually?

Can you post a picture of the whole plant - even if not in bloom now?

Where did you get it from? I mean a swop or a nursery or????
Inanda who HATES not to be able to ID things.

Port Harcourt, Nigeria

Port Harcourt is tropical, Delta region, SE Nigeria. It is my neighbours shrub, she inherited the garden before it bloomed so it came as quite a suprise, it has now bloomed continuously for several months. Will see if I can get a picture of whole plant. cuttings root easily, have just planted one out in my garden. We are waiting hopefully for an ID. There are hardly any native flowering plants in the gardens here, nearly everything has been introduced from the Americas/SE Asia over the years, so we were hoping someone would recognise it.

Fremont, CA(Zone 9a)

Just got a very nice new Wayside Gardens catalog. It shows Lilium majoense. Check http://www.waysidegardens.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/StoreCatalogDisplay?catalogId=10067&storeId=10151&langId=-1&mainPage=prod2working&ItemId=7123 and see if it looks like a match.
I also just ran across this site with some very nice Lily photos. My German is more than a bit rusty, but by clicking around you will find a very nice assortment of lily photos and scientific names. http://members.surfeu.de/fuliro/ga.htm click on "lilien" below main picture

Welcome to DG, PortHarcourt.

This message was edited Dec 4, 2004 6:10 PM

Springfield, MA(Zone 6a)

i haven't a clue what it is, but i don't believe it is a lilium because it doesn't have the stamens & anthers of a lilium, from what i can see in this picture. however, the petals do resemble a lilium don't they? and what gorgeous coloring on this flower. you must be extatic that it is blossoming so freely and well.
i hope you find out what it is. i will be watching this thread to see what happens. good luck
debi z

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.