Last of the fall harvest

Bethelridge, KY(Zone 6a)

Picked these on November 25th, Snowball cauliflower.

Thumbnail by Big_Red
Bethelridge, KY(Zone 6a)

And these on the 14th, Bonnie Hybrid cabbage.

Thumbnail by Big_Red
auckland, New Zealand

I've never heard of pickled caulis and cabbage before.
How do you do it?
Can you do it to any vegetable?

(My grandmother used to pickle Eggs ((yes pickle not suck))

Bethelridge, KY(Zone 6a)

ashchignell,

You misunderstood me. I said I 'picked' these, a term we use for harvesting. However, cauliflower is used in some pickles such as sweet mixed pickles. I'm sure you can find recipes in the Recipe Forum.

By the way, welcome to Dave's Garden! You'll meet lots of friends here. ☺

auckland, New Zealand

Sorry, Big Red

My mistake
Thanks for the wlcome

Lewisville, MN(Zone 4a)

ashchignell
Not far from here we have a company that pickles eggs, turkey gizzards, & pork hocks. They are sold in grocery stores & also every bar & tarvern around has them for customers to eat with their drink.
We ran a small bar for 1 year years ago, sold lots of these things, especially the eggs!
Welcome to Daves!
Bernie

Augusta, GA(Zone 8a)

Actually pickled cauliflower is my second favorite sweet pickle , right after watermelon rind. Use basicly the same formula as sweet cucumber pickles. Red; still have the cabage and broccoli producing, picked the last of the bell peppers 11/30. Are you still getting side shoots from the Early Dividend.

Efland, NC(Zone 7a)

Yummy! Guess I better get out with the camera today...cabbage is heading up nicely and so is the broc.

Looks good, B_Red! (Didja ever get some onions and garlic set out for the winter?)

ashchignell...A hearty Welcome to DG! Be seeing you around the site!

Bethelridge, KY(Zone 6a)

Farmer, still getting a few 'buttons' but the cold weather is really slowing them down. I picked just enough the day before yesterday for a feed for the little woman and me.

Shoe, nope, all we've had is rain here and the garden is muck! I bought some garlic but it doesn't look like I'll get it in.

Lewisville, MN(Zone 4a)

Gee, I had to buy a cabbage at the grocery store tonight!
At least they are still local grown ones.
Bernie

Pembroke Pines, FL(Zone 10a)

WELCOME ASCHIGNELL, HAPPY TO HAVE YOU ABOAORD! When is your growing season? What are you growing?

BIG_RED You've done it again! A beautiful crop. Took my pictures in today for development.I'm growing tomatoes,cucumbers,peppers, peas, strawberries,(ate three beauties already)and stringbeans. I guess I'll have to post some on tomatoes and some on vegetable forum. Stay tuned ya'll for more South Florida news...

Bethelridge, KY(Zone 6a)

Tplant,

What variety of peas are you growing? Strawberrys also (?).

Don't forget to post those veggie pics, a welcome change other than flowers!

Kannapolis, NC(Zone 7b)

I would just like to extend my 'your welcomes' to all the rabbits and deer that enjoyed my entire fall 'crop' save for the container of lettuce on my deck! :-) Hope you enjoyed all my chard, spinach, and the like. Just want to point out to you greedy little bunnies though that if you would let the seedlings actually GROW we might be able to share 'em!

Oh - and to my 2 large doggies - BAD DOGS! You are supposed to be on my side!!!

Sorry, just had to vent a bit!!!! Nice crop there BigRed! Maybe I will be able to post a pic other than one of DIRT next fall!

Nicole
:-))

Efland, NC(Zone 7a)

Nicole...it's rabbit season now....time to set out some box traps! Heck, you fattened them rabbits up, time to harvest them!

Kannapolis, NC(Zone 7b)

Poor little seedlings didn't get enough time to fatten anything up! Even a greedy ole bunny! I would be with you on the rabbit eatin' except my mother would KILL me... She has had several pet rabbits that she litter box trained and took on leash walks etc etc.. My dogs got one a few years ago (before I had a veggie garden of course) and I didn't dare tell her even that! Course what you don't know won't necessarily hurt you....

My DH is having a hard enough time filling up the freezer with deer anyway. The score is currently DH one - me one (with car.) lol Got mine a couple of days ago unfortunately there wasn't enough left to scrape off my car to make even a decent sandwich! Sorry - I get silly when it gets late!

Nicole

Bethelridge, KY(Zone 6a)

Thanks Nicole. Too bad about your garden, I had the same problems with rabbits this spring but I turned them all into rabbit stew and haven't seen any for months.

I know lots of people won't shoot them, or can't, but I can't sit by and let them ruin my entire garden, too much work envolved.

Kannapolis, NC(Zone 7b)

Hey, I know what you mean! My bleeding heart does not extend to anything that touches my plants!! I've speared moles, fed beetles to the spiders, yelled at my dogs, and banned my DH from setting out deer corn anywhere near here! My little one has to watch where he steps too!

Sorry I missed all this but I put in a good part of the day working at a leisurely pace in my garden so I retired early.(Actually collapsed early) Spent $85.00 at Lowes. Bought a trellis for my sugar snap peas. That's the name on the package.(Big Red's question) Can't wait to go out there and get started but I must take it easy cause tiring myself is the worst thing a post polio victim can do for it weakens our remaining good muscles.

Anyway , I am real pleased with my garden so far but I am still improving and beautifying it as I go along.The pictures that I will post will be ready mid-week. Wish I could afford a digital!
Well anyway, I am real excited and happy to share with you. I know the dulldrum feeling when your off season. I used to live in New York thirty years ago and go nuts during the long winter.

Enough rambling for now. Hope I haven't bored ya'll...

Efland, NC(Zone 7a)

Tplant...you'll luv those Sugar Snaps! Those are the kind you don't even have to shell...eat the pods and all! Great as hand-to-mouth snacks, in salads, in stir-fry. (I bet you'll eat quite a few of them directly in the garden bed!) Plant a lot of them; if you don't you'll sure wish you had've!

Have a good day!

Rocky Mount, VA(Zone 7a)

Shoe - clue me in on the sugar snaps, seed source etc, have seen them in the burpee cat., are there others?

Lewisville, MN(Zone 4a)

We found a great one, although it's a snow pea (flat podded) rather than a sugar snap. It's called Ho Lan Dow & you can get it from www.stokeseeds.com
Produces like crazy & is very good flavor.
For sugar snap we plant Sugar Ann. Usually only get 2 pickings off of it but is a huge producer. Some leave them get bigger & shell them out, I have no reason why you would want to though!
Bernie

NEW CUYAMA, CA

I'm planning on making an archway out of cattle panels so I will be able to walk underneath them and collect the cucumbers, green beans and sweet peas.

I think I better place each of these in different areas so there isn't any problem cross pollinating and mess up these vegetables. I don't think I want them getting mixed up either....lol.......I guess I'd know the difference and maybe it wouldn't hurt any thing to put all together....

Have any ideas?

Efland, NC(Zone 7a)

Eddiegirl....your cukes, beans, and peas won't cross with each other, so you're safe there! (If they did I'd luv to try one of your delicious "cucumbeapea"!)

Luv the idea of the cattle panel trellis/archway. Sure would be a nice place to place a nice bench and sit and admire your crops! Easy pickin's and easy relaxin'!

Shoe, You got the right idea ! Tell me ? What is a cattle trellis ?

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.