Yakon / Yacon tubers zapped by frost & dug up today . . .

Acton, TN(Zone 7a)

Tried a new root vegie this year, very sweet & crunchy. Received two starts from Seeds of Change this Spring (2 for the price of one for $8.95) and look what they turned into! You eat the white tubers and break-up the pink rhizome (eyes) for replanting. The stocks were just starting to get little orange daisy-like flowers at the top before the frost zapped them. They're suppose to have lots of health benefits, too. Also called Bolivian Sunroot. Latin name Polymnia sonchifolia, from the Andes region of South America. Related to Dahlias & Sunflowers.

Edited supplier name.

This message was edited Nov 27, 2004 9:00 AM

Thumbnail by jozeeben
So.App.Mtns., United States(Zone 5b)

Here's a thread I ran on these early in this year. http://davesgarden.com/forums/t/423953/

Acton, TN(Zone 7a)

Darius - Thanks for the hyperlink. I was too lazy to figure it out! Here's a photo of the plants in October-2004 before they got the little orange flowers. They're about 4' tall but can get as big as 10'.

Thumbnail by jozeeben
Atascadero, CA(Zone 8a)

jozeeben. . what do they taste like? Will be interested in how you use this. Read your post darius and related article from Seeds of Change. Thanks for the link.

Acton, TN(Zone 7a)

Raw in salads they're sweet with a texture & crunch lighter than water chestnuts. Probably similar to Jicama but it's been years since I had Jicama and my memory is fading . . . ? Flavor is subtle (which is a nice way of saying bland). Sweeter than carrots and not a hard.

Cooked they reminded my wife of turnips, rutabaga or carrots which are things she doesn't like . . . . I liked it OK but it was a little "mushy". Might be better if they weren't overcooked and cooked quickly in a stir fry. They store well and pests don't seem to bother them so they'll make a good staple if you can keep the moles & voles away from them. Joz

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.