A Couple Pictures to Share

Archer/Bronson, FL(Zone 8b)

A couple of my passions this year have been violas & gaillardias. I've been patiently waiting for the gaillardias to finish up growing there greenery and get to the blooms.

2 have finally done it this week. This one is called "Goblin" and the colors are really as bright as they look.

Thumbnail by MollyMc

This one seems to want to do one flower at a time. She's called "bergundy". It's the red one in the front of the picture.

Thumbnail by MollyMc

And this one is a viola, "Bowles Black". Cute little flowers.

I also have some Viola "Freckles", White Czar" and Fuji Dawns. Still waiting on blooms from these.

Molly
:^)))

Thumbnail by MollyMc
So.App.Mtns., United States(Zone 5b)

Molly, I had 'goblin' in my Asheville garden. Loved it and it was better the second year.

Lewisburg, KY(Zone 6a)

Hi, Molly
Cute flowers. I have had Goblin but lost it some way. Did you raise your from seed? I love viola too. The dark one is different.

Bay City, MI(Zone 6a)

molly i wont even tell you i have been pulling and throwing them
I have all yellow and then a burgundy,goblin and then several of the normals!!!

what is the plant in the second pic to the left-wmall leaves-i have a pinch of this started that i pinched somewhere(shhhhhhh)

thanks muchoooooooooo!+

Darius, That's good to hear they get better. I have 2 more over in the side yard by that new wooden fence, but it will be a while before they bloom. I just planted them in October.

Theresa, I bought these as plants from Flower Scents, I think. Good thing too because I don't do well from seeds.

Dori, what does a "Normal" look like? That green plant on the side is an Artillary Fern. It's an easy one to grow.

Molly

Western, WI(Zone 4a)

Molly, you should have asked for this gallarida goblin, as I pull excess plants out all the time.
They put on a spectacular show from July thru Oct. sometimes into Nov.

Would love you get different varieties of this species.

Maxine

Bay City, MI(Zone 6a)

in the spring i should have all kinds-email me then maxine(i will never remember)

Normal is the indian blanket ones! one of the first ones i bought
willl look through my pics

I tried to grow some of the Indian Blanket ones from seeds, but had no luck.

I would love to expand my collections, yall know that I'm sure. In the spring........

Molly

Seward, AK(Zone 3b)

Molly, gaillardia is a push here, but violas do quite well and reseed like crazy. Our cool summers keep them blooming all season. Last year I ordered several types of the cornutas, and it was fun to see how they all turned out. I also had some wonderful crosses from Velour Blue Bronze and Eye of the Tiger... they are such fun.

Western, WI(Zone 4a)

Notmartha, wrote it down, but its a good guess whether I will remember also.

Thanks for the offer.

Maxine

Bay City, MI(Zone 6a)

heres one

Thumbnail by notmartha
Bay City, MI(Zone 6a)

yellow

Thumbnail by notmartha

Dori,

I absolutely love those!!!! Thanks for sharing. The one is Fanfare isn't it?

Molly
:^))))

Bay City, MI(Zone 6a)

i have never bought fanfare-but i thought it looked like it too-it mutated to that i guess!
will look for more later-starting my cleaning the basement-makin DH help today! mwhaaaaaaaaaa!

**snows all melted already! :)

Lewisville, MN(Zone 4a)

I use Gaillardia as a waterstopper on our sidehill. Also Rudbeckia in there.
They were in their 3rd year this past summer. Was very pretty all summer.
I went through them twice for weeds. This row is about 200' long. They certainly are carefree!
Bernie

Normal, IL(Zone 5b)

Gaillardia is prone to powdery mildew (fugus). When watering try not to get the leaves wet.

Yucaipa, CA(Zone 9a)

I'm sending you some pics of my new &
beautiful "Fanfare", and a little saga to go
with them.

Thumbnail by KE6KAD
Yucaipa, CA(Zone 9a)

When I ordered this I had no idea what
the plant looked like. It was bare-root.

When it started to grow I thought they'd
made a mistake and sent me a WEED.
But I persevered and lo and behold--
one day there was a bud and when it
opened I loved it. There was another
bud ready to open when--

Pics coming--

Thumbnail by KE6KAD
Yucaipa, CA(Zone 9a)

A freak snow storm.
In So. Ca.
In Nov.
9" to 12" of snow.
Not in 50 yrs!!

See the canopy?

My beautiful "Fanfare" is under there.

More pics coming--

Thumbnail by KE6KAD
Yucaipa, CA(Zone 9a)

See the COLLAPSED canopy?!!

My beautiful "Fanfare" is under there!!

More pics coming--

Thumbnail by KE6KAD
Yucaipa, CA(Zone 9a)

Oh, Good!!

Kinda raggedy, but should be all better
by next spring.

But, wait, there's more!!

1 more pic coming--

Thumbnail by KE6KAD
Yucaipa, CA(Zone 9a)

I went to check on my beautiful "Fanfare"
(well, it will be), after the canopy was removed--

AND--

IT'S GONE--just GONE!!

I agonized over whether I should buy it or not!

I LOVED that plant!!

That *@$#* gopher took it--JUST TOOK IT!!

Anyone know how I can AVENGE myself??!!

Thumbnail by KE6KAD
Moab, UT(Zone 6b)

Can't hardly believe you got that much snow, and how mean of the gopher to steal your fanfare after it had survived the elements. That is a great plant and I want one too now.

I have the regular ole ordinary gallardia that's been reseeding itself around the yard for ten years or so. When I carry the trimmings to the pile seeds drop and here and there new ones pop up. This one is in a crack by a rock.

Thumbnail by BloomsWithaView
Yucaipa, CA(Zone 9a)

To: BloomsWithaView--Thank-you.

That does it--100 plants (give or take a few)
for the price of 1!!

I'll be ordering another 1 NEXT year. I'll try putting
it into another area where, hopefully, that @#**
gopher won't be.

I have a few other things I want to order,THIS year.

Have to space things out a bit so it doesn't
look like I'm spending so much $$. Lol.

Just a quick question here on the Gaillardia. When the petals fall off and it leaves that big puffy ball in the center, it that the seeds?

Right now that part of the Goblin is hanging over the sidewalk. I would love to have them reseed themselves, but the bed in front is already full of plants. At what point can I pull the puff balls off (if those are the seeds) and spread them in another bed?

I want to see lots more of these. The Goblin put off all those blooms where "Burgundy" only blooms one at a time.

Thanks,
Molly

Western, WI(Zone 4a)

Molly, watch your seed head very closely. when it looks brown and feels dry to the touch the seeds are ready to be harvested. Use a paper bag to catch them if you don't wish them spread all over.
I usually take my hand and enclose it around the seed head and then drop in bag.

Hope this helps.

Maxine

Thanks Maxine, will do.

Molly

smithton, MO(Zone 5a)

lol...haha...snicker, snicker.......im glad you like the gaillardia....lol....sorry, just being cutesie......i LUV gaillardia's....:)

cindy

Cindy,

With any luck on the plants sowing their own seeds, I may have some in the spring to share. Isn't that great?

And you now have my curiosity working overtime.

Molly

smithton, MO(Zone 5a)

lol.....:)

cindy

Lexington, VA(Zone 6a)

Molly, add G. 'Summer's Kiss' to your garden next year.
http://davesgarden.com/pdb/go/69830/index.html. Although its colors aren't as dramatic as some of the others, its soft apricot color blends with most anything in your garden and it blooms forever!

RCN,

That's a lovely color. I'll have to watch for some of those this spring. Thanks for showing them to me.

Oh goody, I just got a box from the mailman and there are Fanfare seeds in there.

Molly
:^)))))

Hawkinsville, GA(Zone 8b)

In your second post.....MollyMc......what is the green plant to the left. I had some that got caught in the frost this year. Didn't make it. It is a succulent I think.

Lana

Lanan,

That is an artillary fern. I'm not totally sure, but I think it's probably more a tender tropical than a succulent.

I looked it up in the Plantfiles but there were 273 matched to look through. I don't know the botanical name for it.

Are you going to the North Florida Round up in April? I will be bringing some of these with me.

Molly

Hawkinsville, GA(Zone 8b)

I am in Georgia and will not be going. Too bad : (

Lana

Moab, UT(Zone 6b)

Ga not that far from north Florida - unless you in north Georgia... there's a thought... hope it's not the only one I get today. it's early yet.

Cedar Rapids, IA(Zone 5a)

Molly, just stopped in to drool over your early flowering plants. Starting to thaw here in Iowa, but all my Gallardia are wisely hiding yet. I deadhead & they bloom all summer for me.

Thumbnail by Wandasflowers

The Goblin seems to be finished blooming for the time being, however, the Burgundy has now taken off. Been blooming for the past several weeks.

And boy do I have the seeds. I pulled the seed heads off when they were dry and put them into baggies. Now I just have to sit down and sort them out.

Wanda, I'm glad you enjoyed the pictures. I'm hoping things warm up for you soon.

Molly

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.