hey babies!

Haydenville, MA(Zone 5a)

You guys inspired me to try something new. I scaled some of the lilies I planted this year....some 11/7 some 11/14. I checked today and some are actually sprouting little bulbs! How cool is that? Now I just need to figure out how not to let them die before I can plant them out into the garden in the spring. I am amazed that this happened so fast!

Haydenville, MA(Zone 5a)

had to get a pic

Thumbnail by esw
Haydenville, MA(Zone 5a)

one more....so far, Amethyst Temple, Allegro, American West and a couple I managed not to label correctly are on the move...the others look ok too. I am dumbstruck.
edited for really bad spelling/typing...

This message was edited Nov 23, 2004 10:56 PM

Thumbnail by esw
Lincoln, NE(Zone 5b)

Cool! Now just throw them back in till they have roots and you're off to step 2!

I'll have to post some 'baby pics' here when mine are ready.

Lenexa, KS(Zone 6a)

I need to check on mine.

Tellico Plains, TN(Zone 7b)

Interesting.

Where can I find info on this process ?

TIA

Lenexa, KS(Zone 6a)

Scooter - here's the site I use.....scroll down a bit.....

http://www.landspro.com/page2.htm

Neat - O

Tnx Linda

Haydenville, MA(Zone 5a)

Yes, do post your pics Moby.
scooterbug, B&D lilies also has info on scaling as do other suppliers and some of the the lily organizations' websites have info.
Sue

Cedar Rapids, IA(Zone 5a)

And to think I used to just throw the scales away. The longer I stay in DG, the more I learn. Great pics esw!

yup a great place DG is for sure.
Floored me when I found the little plantletts on some old Daylily blooms could be grown.

Cedar Rapids, IA(Zone 5a)

Yeah. I can't believe I cut off & threw away proliferations on my Spiders in past years. STUPID!

Springfield, MA(Zone 6a)

scooterbug ad wanda,
what are you talking about when you say the proliferations & plantletts on your daylily blooms? do you have a thread or web site i can refer too?
thanks debi z

Winnipeg, MB(Zone 2b)

Lots of interesting info on our lily site

http://www.manitobalilies.ca

Inanda - shamelessly advertising

(Arlene) Southold, NY(Zone 7a)

debiz - proliferations are natural clones. Scapes where bloom has occured normally turn brown and you cut them off for the compost pile. Some stay green - watch and see as it develops a baby plant. Then after it's well formed you cut it off about an inch to two inches below where it is growing and put it either in a separate bed or somewhere near the mother plant - or you could give it away. They're so much easier to plant for handicapped people or those who can't spend a lot of time on their knees. Give it mulch to get it through the first winter. I always mention if a daylily gets proliferations when I give them away so people will know what it is and what to expect.

Springfield, MA(Zone 6a)

that is really coool. you can put me on your list for folks who like to get proliferations. i come under the handicapped and can't spend time on my knees. i normally bend to do most everything.
thanks pirl.
i love coming here, i always learn something new from somebody each and every day.
debi & franklin

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.