Planting Columbines

Palmyra, IL(Zone 5b)

Can I just scratch up the soil and drop columbine seeds on it cover lightly and have babies in the spring?I live in zone 5/6. Thanks,Jody

Woodland Park, CO(Zone 4b)

You can but they do seem to germinate better with light and the cold stratification.
I scatter them on top of a snow anytime from now till April (for here)
They will not wash away and the birds won't eat them.
This way they get repeated freeze/thaw and the light they seem to want in the spring as soon as the snow melts.
I get exceptional germination this way....

Palmyra, IL(Zone 5b)

caron, I'll put them out when we get a light snow.That way they'll stay where I put them.Thanks,Jody

Think you will be happy with this... not much different that winter sowing outside in containers. I'm just way too lazy to do all that transplanting in the spring
Good gardening!!!

Palmyra, IL(Zone 5b)

I definately want to do what ever to be a lazy gardener.LOL. Jody

(Zone 7a)

Wow! LOL Jody..I have never cold treated my columbines. I may try it this year...Mine always germinate within 30 days without stratification.

Pickering, ON(Zone 5b)

I have just finished planting two kinds of Columbine seed outside " Danish Dwarf " and " Viridiflora " I hope they sprout in a few months...

Anna

Palmyra, IL(Zone 5b)

Can I plant them in the sun.Jody

Jackson, SC(Zone 8a)

shoot i just let them drop of the main plant and have babies next year. never cold anything or cover. i think these are one of the easier things to grow.

I have mine in partial sun to shade.

imzadi
If you have any temps in low to mid 30's over the winter, then your seeds do get cold stratification over the winter.

Kim
Cold stratification will decrease germination time some as well. It's not that they won't germinate at all without cold treatment, it's just the the germination rates tend to be higher and germination time shorter. Also I find that the longer the germination time in warm humid conditions the more potential problems with damping off (inside).

(Zone 7a)

Jody, You may have to see what works best for you. All my columbines are in shade. They do best there for me and the leaves don't get burned by the sun. I haven't had a columbine damp off yet...But different strokes for different folks! LOL LOL

Palmyra, IL(Zone 5b)

I'll just toss some seed by the woods and hope for the best.Jody

Sorry Kim
Must not have been clear. I've not had any problems with damping off on columbines.
Just find that the longer the germination time when starting seed indoors, the more risk and incidence of damping off it seems....

Piedmont, MO(Zone 6a)

Hmmm, I was collecting columbine seeds in late May but neglected to bring them in. They spilled into the gravel path and germinated promptly in July. I potted some up and now they are big enough that I believe they will bloom next spring.
In the past, I always started columbine seeds during late summer because I heard the seed needed to be really fresh. Maybe the need for stratification varies with the type of columbine being grown?

I think it varies with the age of the seed. I also get columbine seedlings in late summer around the base of my plants.

Sand Springs, OK(Zone 7a)

Poppy's and columbine and all small seed to best planted on top of soil .When snow melts pulls them to just right depth .Can improve on mother nature

Piedmont, MO(Zone 6a)

Well, if I hadn't spilled ALL my columbine seeds, I would put some out when we get our first snow, LOL. I had several colors and they all got mixed together, so I don't even know what I have growing as seedlings.

Thanks for bringing up this subject. I will try stratifying the next seeds I get and perhaps the germination rate will improve.

Archer/Bronson, FL(Zone 8b)

Hi All,

I have these Christa Barlow's I got from ebay in October. I have tried the Columbines before and got some purple blooms. They were lovely, but they got left at the old house.

So now these new ones are blooming. When they finish, they will drop seeds? And since it's so warm down here will they not germinate? (I took this pic a few minutes ago)

Although we don't get snow here, we can get some night temps in the 40's in Jan.

Molly
:^)))

What's yall's thoughts on this?

Thumbnail by MollyMc
Piedmont, MO(Zone 6a)

That's pretty, Molly.
I have had seeds germinate without any cool temps (see above) so my guess is that yours would sprout if sown promptly after ripening.

Yeah, It seems that fresh seed does germinates readily but once dried needs the cold stratification. Molly, yours should be fine too.

Thanks for your advice. I believe I will just let them reseed themselves. That will surely fill in the blank spaces in the flower beds and multiply for trading.

Molly

Seward, AK(Zone 3b)

I grow lots of columbine, and I collect lots of seed. They also self seed. When you consider the number of seeds in a columbine pod, the germination rate of self-seed isn't spectacular. However, when I start them under lights indoors, I get a good rate. I've tried chilling the seed and not chilling the seed. Chilling may improve the rate of germination, but it isn't necessarily a requirement for germination.

Dampening off usually occurs indoors when you don't use sterile planting medium and sterile containers. It's a bacteria, I believe. You can also kill young seedlings during transplanting by gripping the stems. This damages the vascular system within the stems. Always lift a seedling my it's cotyledons (first leaves).

That's a lovely columbine, Molly! I often forget that these are an off season plant for warmer climates. In my cooler climate, the columbine bloom in the spring and summer, setting seed towards the fall. If I let them self-sow, they will germinate the following spring. It must be just the opposite for you. Do your columbine die back in the summer?

Weez,

You know that is a very interesting question. After thinking about it, you might be right.

I had one columbine at the other house. I had planted it in the spring and it bloomed during the early part of the summer. In August when I had to move, I didn't take it with me because it looked like it was dying. But then, it also was in full sun. I didn't have time to continue watching it or question the cause.

I have 3 of the Christa Barlows, 2 of which are blooming now. I also have 3 semiaguilegia ecalcarata, False Columbines, columbine relative. The foliage looks the same, but are evidently slower growing. No signs of any blooms (which will be pink to purple) yet.

We'll have to wait another season to see if the theory is correct I guess.

Molly

Seward, AK(Zone 3b)

It seems I've heard before that aquilegia die back in the heat of summer if the summers are hot. The same is true of bleeding heart and oriental poppy. Here they all stay green throughout the summer, since we seldom get temps above the 70's. I can also grow them all in full sun. I think the trick is that you need time for the seeds to germinate and the resulting seedlings to build up enough root mass to survive the off season. In my case, it is winter cold, and in your case, I think it would be summer heat. I start my columbine indoors in early spring, and they are well established outdoor plants by fall. They don't bloom until the following summer.

Actually damping off is a fungus.
Non sterile medium can be the culprit and will exacerbate the problem. But, poor growing conditions in the indoor environment are the more likely blame for damping off problems.
Excessive humidity, too high or too cold temperatures, poor air circulation and chronic overwatering are fungi's paradise especially when seeds have longer germination times. And damping off fungus exists virtually everywhere!!

Here is some additional info: http://www.extension.umn.edu/distribution/horticulture/DG1167.html

Seward, AK(Zone 3b)

Ah, caron, I knew someone with some expertise would show up! My understanding of fungi is sadly lacking. Thanks for the corrections and the additional information.

Palmyra, IL(Zone 5b)

What a great link.I love the site.
Lots of good information.Jody

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.