Square Tomatoes?

Madison, WI(Zone 4a)

Has anyone heard of these? A friend said they heard they were developed for easier shipping. Hmmmm............. Amy.

Benton, KY(Zone 7a)

That's about all they are good for I'm afraid.

The breeders were going for such a specialized trait that taste was traded for durability and shipping ease.They don't care what it tasts like as long as it gets to market looking pretty. Sadly that's the case with most commercial varieties of tomato.They look great in the produce section,but taste like cardboard.

San Lorenzo, CA

Maybe I'm just getting old and set in my ways, but square tomatoes are just...WRONG. :>

Lyles, TN

Essensia: You are absolutely right ! Most of us gardeners grow for the homegrown taste, smell etc., so we don't really want a skin on our veggies that's like leather. I know it's important to people who have to ship, but I always thought if you want to maximize the space in the carton, just pack 2 sizes in it. As the kids say "you do the math".

Madison, WI(Zone 4a)

I was hoping the "friend" was pulling my leg. They have to look very weird! I wonder if they would be any different homegrown? Can you imagine how they look hanging on the vine? Certainly worth a good laugh perhaps? Amy.

Well, the subject of this thread drew me in... I'm growing a family heirloom tomato called "Federles". They are a paste-type tomato with a good taste and not extremely juicy.

Anyway, the fruit is elongated (much like a jalapeno) and boxy, with 4 distinct sides. This is fairly close to a square tomato (perhaps rectangle) :)

Dave

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.