Local Weather Part II

Gordonville, TX(Zone 7b)

Part I is getting slow to load so here is Part !!.

64* right now which is much warmer than it was last week. But, we have not seen the sun for some time and it is raining tonight.

Taylor Creek, FL(Zone 10a)

John,
Well, it's 56* here,go figure. Oh yeah, you've got all that cloud insulation. Clear here,but cooler. Low so far this fall is51*.
Sidney

Gordonville, TX(Zone 7b)

Our low so far was 38*. I think were getting gulf moisture now after last week's cold front.

Enjoy that, have you quit yet?

Gordonville, TX(Zone 7b)

Waiting to hear from darius.

So.App.Mtns., United States(Zone 5b)

Thanks for the new thread, John.

We had a hard frost while I was in the hospital. I was actually on the way to my old house to get 3-4 plants that would not survive that freeze but never made it. Guess thay are toast now.

Atascadero, CA(Zone 8a)

TY John. . it's 52 degrees with dewpt of 50*. . forecasting drops into the upper 30's at night starting Sunday. . . weatherman explained something about the formation of this tule fog when out temps drop down and then hit the dwpt, fog forms. . .we're seeing alot of it because of all the moisture from the storms last week. Normally we don't have that much rain so early and fog begins in ernest around turkey day. I've been sitt'n in this stuff every year for the last 50+ and can honestly say it's not nearly as bad as it used to be. The 'zero visibility' days are far less often and temps don't get down as low as they used to. . .not using statistics here, but just 'by the feel of things'. . .but then I'm not standing outside for 20 minutes waiting for a school bus to appear out of nowhere in the fog . . . .brrrrrrrrrrrrrrr! as in much younger years. . . ;-D Janet

Gordonville, TX(Zone 7b)

My father used to talk about having to drive with the car door open so he could follow the white line. I've had to that too back in the 60s & 70s but, by that time the line color had changed to yellow. Haven't driven in tule fog since!

Merced, CA(Zone 9a)

I only drove once in that thick of a fog, we literally could not see to cross a 50 mph road so I actually turned around and went another way. Never want to do that again. Those stories are scary, John! High fog here, the ground looks like it rained lightly. I love getting up in the morings and see what my new temp reader says. 58 now, the winter greenhouse was 68 to 48 yesterday, not too bad for the babies. Expecting it to freeze soon, which will get rid of these doggone flies. Gotta get the big Christmas lights wrapped around my precious plants this week!

Atascadero, CA(Zone 8a)

Know lots of people who had similar experiences. . .incl. myself John. I lived ( folks still live there) 20 miles from town and the further you got from town, the narrower the roads got and the county did not maintain them. . .add to that, no lines, white, yellow, solid, broken after you got off the main road on side roads. . .about the last 2 miles to our house. The weeds were encroaching on the pavement from lack of upkeep and half the time, if you didn't open the door to look, you couldn't tell where you were. . . very disorienting. One friend of ours rolled down his window to look and bumped his head on a telephone pole. . .he was getting up in years and it was probably one of many reasons he finally quit driving the fog. There's nothing quite like it for disorienting one. The only thing I've read that might come close is when pilots lose their sight of the horizon and get disoriented. Both can result in BIG CRASH!

Atascadero, CA(Zone 8a)

This was the pic on the front of our paper this AM

http://www.fresnobee.com/

Gordonville, TX(Zone 7b)

It is scary! The visibility can be reasonable and then become zero immediately. When driving on a quiet country road in those conditions you can only hope that you're not on such a boundary! Its best to stay home when its like that.

Having your own little weather station is a lot of fun. Do you have a rain gauge yet? You can find reasonably priced and fairly accurate ones at feed stores.

Estimating wind speed is free: http://www.zetnet.co.uk/sigs/weather/Met_Codes/beaufort.htm

A weather vane will give you wind direction. Its posible to have a very inexpensive weather station!!

Merced, CA(Zone 9a)

Janet, that was hilarious. When I clicked on the link all I got was a dark grey blank screen and I thought, yup, that's what it looks like. LOL!! Reload the page and you get the actual photo, quite neat, actually.

I have found another rain gauge, we have many hanging about, but will check out the wind speed asap - thank you!

What I have found to be interesting the last few days is that the actual temps were, for example, 56 to 50, and the winter GH was 68 to 48. I am thinking about moving that gauge base out to the GH and moving the remote to outside the GH. That will be interesting.

Merced, CA(Zone 9a)

Ah, we have those as we were heavily into kite flying a few years ago. I love my list. It says "90 mph = anvils fly." LOL!!

Driving in heavy fog is scary but the scariest I have ever driven in was a "white out" coming back from skiing in Cortland Valley, NY. The road was covered with snow and snow was blowing so fine that everything was white so that you could not even tell road from land to the side, nor where the horizon was.

I'll take my mountain fogs, thank you.

Gordonville, TX(Zone 7b)

Oh, yeah, I know about white out conditions! Like having vertigo. Not a good thing at all while trying to drive!!

You got that right!

Morning folks, sunny, but crisp. 59*.
This is what happened here yest. First this is what my front door looked like Tuesday morning.
Sidney, Canon Powershot A75

Thumbnail by sugarweed

This is what my front door looks like this morning.

Thumbnail by sugarweed
Merced, CA(Zone 9a)

This is like finding Waldo....let's see, the step stool is missing, pots have been added to the steps, the mat is moved in tight to the first step. Did we clean? Lordie, was there a cleaning bug loose yesterday? I was looking for something in the disaster in the bedroom and eight hours later the windows (and screens) were sparkling, the entire room spotless. LOL!! OMG, I see it!! LOL!! Sugar, what have you been up to in the garage???

We had a 54 high and a 50 low yesterday, 55 and 52 in the greenhouse. Interesting. Talk about mild weather.

Oh, does anyone else get the happy California cow cheese commercials on the telly? They are hysterical, like the "Got Milk?" commercials, we can't wait to see the next one.

Rocky Mount, VA(Zone 7a)

No but we have lots of cows here, they aren't that funny though, don't do alot.

Lady, here is a picture a little less "cleaned-up" See the new porch post? We had to mini-crown mold the tops to finish them.
I have a great discount bargan wood shop 1 mi. away. I figured we needed 6'. I bought 20'. I couldn't watch and keep my handyman as a friend. He had 11" left. Darius will relate.

Thumbnail by sugarweed
Merced, CA(Zone 9a)

It's a wonderous job. Looks so grand. My first posting proved to me that I was in need of more coffee!!

Atascadero, CA(Zone 8a)

G'morning. . . Ladyannne, you going to do that 'Turkey Trot' run up there in Merced Saturday? Saw it on the news this AM. . . gotta be out there at 8:15 to join in the run, fun, whatever at Applegate Park. . 50* right now. . .high fog. . .will see sun later today. I forgot about whiteout conditions. . .that's bad news too when you're driving. . .best to be at home by the fire.

Merced, CA(Zone 9a)

Turkey trot???? Not! LOL!! I didn't turn on the news at all, but then I rarely do. I heard about 911 from my hunnie on line after it was all over. I am a devoted ostrich.

Atascadero, CA(Zone 8a)

Probably just as well off being an ostrich sometimes. . .

Count me in the ostrich club! I have a good friend who has the responsibility to inform me if we are at war, and who is president, LOL.

Sidney, love the new posts! Yes, I can "relate" about the crown molding installation, LOL. I've seen too many use up almost 20 feet for a small job like that...

Moab, UT(Zone 6b)

Love the new posts on the porch. Makes it look more like a porch enclosure, joins the roof to the ground. Like your shutters tool.

Ladyanne, love the latest happy cows where they lose tract of the race to get the dandylions. heehee

Gordonville, TX(Zone 7b)

Sidney has been busy. Nice touch.

Merced, CA(Zone 9a)

Utah has happy cows? How grand!! We do roar to see the newest one. Another mild day here, 55 to 50.

Here too, 69* at 9;30 est.,, 68% humidity. Good day for painting. make that perfect day for painting.

Moab, UT(Zone 6b)

Well we dropped from a lovely 62* degrees yesterday afternoon to a nippy 28* this morning. I will not complain as we've had a coupla Indian summer days for doing outdoor stuff. And the reason it is so cold is the skies are cloudless.

whatcha painting sugarweed?

Blooms, Brrrrrr
The frame around that big new picture window seen in the first picture above. Its to the left of the porch.
Maybe. lol

Rocky Mount, VA(Zone 7a)

64.2 gotta get out....

Gordonville, TX(Zone 7b)

57* now after a lo of 55*. Hi of 66* forcasted. Still no sun for what must be 2 weeks now. Mostly cloudy is the forcast so maybe the sun will show itself. Reminds me of PNW weather.

Merced, CA(Zone 9a)

Pretty Near Wet?
Parsimoniously North West?
Practically Not Worthwhile?
Pleasantly Not Wearisome?

Gordonville, TX(Zone 7b)

Pacific North West, silly. ;-)

Merced, CA(Zone 9a)

Tee hee.....

Rocky Mount, VA(Zone 7a)

only one word (three times) wet, wet, wet 60.4* 92%

Moab, UT(Zone 6b)

Just now watching a weather channel tv program about what they are calling "the Alaska Meltdown" Beautiful photography and ome pretty sharp realism.

It stayed right around 28* last night and is FOGGY and 40* at 2 in the aftnoon. Not sure it qualifies as fog as it appeared as a low hanging cloud rolling down the cliffs into the valley - watched it act almost like waterfalls. Too white-out for pics. minor drizzle early on. Strange to have such a moist laden day in our arid clime.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.