Onions

Simpsonville, SC(Zone 7b)

I am new to DG (my first day at posting) and am just learning my way around. I posted this in another forum as a reply to another message and then found this forum so I will try it here.

I have never grown onions from seed and would like to know when to start them for spring (green) onions, and what are some good types.
Thanks George

Chariton, IA(Zone 5b)

I start mine in February if I can. It takes quite a while from seed to get them large enough to eat as green onions. Even then, they are pretty small until they have been in the garden for a while. I start mine in the greenhouse. I've had good luck with Kelsy Sweet Giant. Last year I tried another sweet onion and my luck was horrible. I think my greenhouse may have been too warm for them. As my baby onions got taller, I would cut them back to about 5 or 6 inches. Otherwise they would all get tangled up. I hope you have good luck with them.

Conway, SC(Zone 8a)

I usually plant from sets in the fall, but seeds in the spring. If you plant in the fall, it will generally get to cold for them to get a good start. It takes a while, especially for seeds. Most onions tend to bolt when it get to hot. some I know plant seeds in late August for pulling in the spring. If you time it just right August is very warm so they get off to a good start. then the cool weather keeps them from bolting. Hopes this helps. (conway sc)

Atascadero, CA(Zone 8a)

Hi George. . .first things first. . . .Welcome to DG's. . . you'll be amazed at the wealth of info here from experienced gardeners. . .click the forums tab at the top, and you'll see all the choices . . .I would recommend posting this on Vegetable Gardening forum. There are some very knowledgeable veggie people over there who live right in your 'neck of the woods' who could recommend some good varieties for your area, and some more good advice like strangebob and bruggie gave you. Searching the PDB (the Plant Data Base) tab might also be of some help. You're on your way to getting some excellent help. . . ;-D Janet

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.