Let's Post our favorite pictures from this season!Pt 5

Lincoln, NE(Zone 5b)

Air Potato? I heard of an air biscuit...

Tellico Plains, TN(Zone 7b)

Air Potato Vine _ Dioscorea bulbifera

I also have Cinnamon vine _ Chinese Yam
Gives off cinnamon fragrance when brushed against.

Thumbnail by scooterbug
Lincoln, NE(Zone 5b)

Sounds divine......

Sand Springs, OK(Zone 7a)

what do you do to get the little yams to start had mine a month in pots not a thing yet ?
tazzy cant grow tatters ?

its snowing .and i am bored so heres flowers of all kinds
Hybrid tea (PRINCESS OF MONACO )

Thumbnail by tazzy

#2 My first brug. from seed ( ISABELLA X unknown )

This message was edited Nov 24, 2004 2:12 PM

Thumbnail by tazzy
Norwood, MO(Zone 6a)

very nice Tazzy...

b.Shirley's Peach taken on a beautiful early Summer morning.

Thumbnail by scooterbug
Cedar Rapids, IA(Zone 5a)

8ftbed--LOVE Your Artic Palm! LOL If I had one to do it to, I would tell all the neighbors it was a new exotic just to watch their heads spin. (I have been known to pull their legs occasionally...)

Terrie--Naked ladies keep their blooms for over 2 weeks if they have a bit of shade. You can stick them in most anywhere. And they pop up in the wierdest places, don't they Moby? (snicker)

Tazzy, tea roses hate me , but they might be worth growing just to give Walker a surprise in the flower beds! I'm lazy--I grow shrub roses.

Thumbnail by Wandasflowers
Farmington, ME(Zone 4b)

Kathys999-- my hydran. bush was suppose to look like yours. I ordered it mail away, offer stated 3 color and a tree not a bush. This is what I got! I keep cutting it back. It just keeps getting taller. I'm thinking about cutting it down! any advice? By the way yours looks great!!

Thumbnail by hooked

Wish I had that. I never am unhappy when they get so big and keep on going.
In some poeples eyes you are lucky.
Must have some great soil there too (-;

Farmington, ME(Zone 4b)

Don't know what makes it grow! It awful soil. I think it's where an old driveway used to be, mostly gravel. Well drained any way. I cut it back so badly last fall, I thought I probably killed it. This spring it got so tall I cut the top off and it turned into a mushroom. Someone here told me he just cuts his to ground in the fall, and it comes right back!

Moab, UT(Zone 6b)

My MIL had one that size which she never cut back just let it grow, I remember it as sixteen feet tall and about 12 wide. Then the flower heads would get heavy in the rain and hang over the sidewalk. LOL

Farmington, ME(Zone 4b)

Oh NO! Too tall. I want to be able to see the daylilies in the garden on the other side of it. Probably need a bucket loader to get the roots out now?

Moab, UT(Zone 6b)

But if offer said tree.... it *would* be tall.????
Seriously, I've seen bushes / this one has reached shrub status/ survive radical pruning of both branches and roots. So pick how much you can seriously handle and dig just that much --

or declare it dead and chop out the center - Really the 'Plant Police' will not show up and arrest you for plant-slaughter. Giggling behind hand;)

Farmington, ME(Zone 4b)

If it was a tree, would it have just one stock/trunk? This has MANY.

prolly caused but all the chopping, each branch muliplied every time you chopped it

a lot say tree but have to be pruned up truck to keep that way and cut any up shoot off just leave biggest trunk .??

Farmington, ME(Zone 4b)

Thanks everyone sorry to take over this thread. Tazzy I think I'll try your idea next! Thanks

Fenton, MO(Zone 5b)

hooked... WOW, its huge and very pretty... this is what I found out about color....

The soil pH indirectly affects the color by affecting the availability of aluminum in the soil. When the soil is acid, aluminum is generally more available to the roots. When the soil is alkaline, the availability of aluminum is decreased and the flowers are more pink.

To gradually change flower color from pink to blue, broadcast 1/2 cup of wettable sulfur per 10 square feet and water it in. To make the flowers pink, broadcast one cup of dolomitic lime per 10 square feet and water it into the soil. It may take a year to see a noticeable change in flower color from this treatment.

I didn't do anything to my bush. I tilled in compost to a mostly clay soil and planted them. I think its getting varried nutrition which is causing the pink/blue color.

Farmington, ME(Zone 4b)

Kathy thanks,Does anyone know if I can prune now?

Fenton, MO(Zone 5b)

I can't help you there hooked, you have to find out if it blooms on old wood or new wood. If it blooms on new wood, you can prune it in the fall or very early spring. Do you know the specific name for your hydrangea?

I really want to buy an "endless summer" this coming year, I hear they bloom all season. I would love to have big hydrangea blooms all season long!

My Mom just pounds an old iron crowbar into the ground to change the color of her hydrangea. She's like that.

Moab, UT(Zone 6b)

Wanda, snorted my coffee on that one. heehee

Just for fun here's my 'Desert Penstemon' one more time. Can't remember which of dozens I already posted, this is one really gorgeous plant and I've not had one photo that really did it justice.

Thumbnail by BloomsWithaView
Fenton, MO(Zone 5b)

LOL, I've heard that too. Some old timers use coffee grounds because their acidic. Some say it works, then I've heard other people say it doesn't. Everything is trial and error in the garden.

This message was edited Nov 24, 2004 2:08 PM

Fenton, MO(Zone 5b)

Wanda that is gorgeous! I love pink and purple togther.

Moab, UT(Zone 6b)

Shoot, meant to send this one.

Thumbnail by BloomsWithaView

kathy, wish I could take credit, but that pretty pic is blooms.

Closest I get is Sour Grapes Beardtongue.

Thumbnail by Wandasflowers
Cape Cod, MA(Zone 7a)

Yeah, what tazzy said! I would lolipop it. Pick one strong straight looking trunk (give it a stake and tie it to it in several places for support until it gets thick and strong enough.) and limb it up just leaving branches at the top. From the way it's growing it seems like a pee gee or something similar and it should bloom for you next year even if you prune it. It will take vigilant pruning to keep it that way.
3 colors? Could be "Limelight"...

Mama has always been very inventive in the garden. She put some miniscule twigs growing thru the middle of cement blocks for a few years so my brothers wouldn't mow them off. Turned around & she had a huge grape arbor going.
Daddy made wine. Mama said her Daddy was one of the first farmers to grow soybeans in Iowa.

Fenton, MO(Zone 5b)

oops! Beautiful flower Blooms!

Moab, UT(Zone 6b)

Wanda, Kathy, there is one of these penstemons growing beside the macadam in the middle of the Mohave Preserve. It actually seems taller than my spoiled one in the seep watered garden.

Wandas, really like the color on that 'Sour Grapes' and like your mom's inventive ideas.

She sound like one smart lady .
Wanda did you take after your father ? LOL , I'm just evil some days.

Tazzy--- You are just plain EVIL! :)

AH SHUCKS YOU NOTICE.

I noticed THAT a long time ago, but my Mama taught me to be nice to my elders... :) Oh goody, are we going to resort to name-calling now?
I get to start--
IRIS KILLER!

Plano, TX(Zone 8a)

What a hoot! Tazzy, Iris must have been one MEAN Bertha for you to kill her!!

LOL Tazzy? You killed a person? I thought you meant you only killed flowers....

No just Iris and other flora

Shelburne Falls, MA(Zone 5a)

Hi guys,
Well I looked away for one moment and you are all name calling!

That hydrangea sure looks and acts like a Peegee. I had 6 of them that I pruned every fall to a tree shape. In New England they are always next to farm houses and do get 12'-15'. They are lovely and they dry beautifully. I pruned them to stay small, under the windows, but they are always trying to grow into trees, so they required some maintenance. WAH. I miss them. Let's see if I have a photo somewhere. Here's the trimmings one year.

Thumbnail by boojum

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.