Great Squash

Noblesville, IN(Zone 5a)

I tried a squash that is so good it almost makes you float in the air. It is sweet and the texture is like a sweet potato. I can figure out if I want to call it a veggie or a desert. I kid you not I have never had a squash this good. I will go get the name and put it here later. I forgot to grab it before I sat down.

Modesto, CA(Zone 8b)

Do you have a pic? I tried a new one this year and am in squash heaven, too. As a matter of fact....that's what's for dinner tonite! I will stop by the fruit stand on the way to work and ask the name of mine...it's GREAT!!! LOL

Karen

(edited to add......BYW.....I will have 15 packs of seed available as soon as they dry for anyone interested.....I will send them out to the first 15 requests to my DG "kachinagirl" email...will ask for padded SASE with three 37 cent stamps)

(edited again....Sorry for hijacking your thread, Honibee! I can't wait to compare our squash photos!!!)

This message was edited Nov 16, 2004 9:23 AM

This message was edited Nov 16, 2004 9:24 AM

This message was edited Nov 17, 2004 10:50 AM

Noblesville, IN(Zone 5a)

Okay here is the picture:

Thumbnail by makshi
Modesto, CA(Zone 8b)

OH! Mine looks like that too! I got a late start today and came straight in, will add a pic of mine in the next couple of days......(besides, I need to go by that fruit stand again....they were selling them for only $1...and they'e HUGE...at least 16" across!)

Noblesville, IN(Zone 5a)

Kach,

The color is off in the picture. It has more green in the coloring. If yours is the same isn't it delicious. It is like eating pudding.

Modesto, CA(Zone 8b)

Mine is a tad darker than that too.....I don't think there's a winter squash I've ever met that I didn't like, but this one is just awesome....how funny if we have the same one! We'll see!

Rutland , MA(Zone 5b)

can you tell me the name of this squash so i can buy some??

Modesto, CA(Zone 8b)

My car is in the shop so I haven't been able to get back to the fruit stand! Stay tuned....I will go back as soon as I get my car! :~D

Farmerdill might know....he knows everything veggie!

Augusta, GA(Zone 8a)

Not me. It looks like it might be a kabocha type but there are so many winter squash that it difficult to distinguish among them with out side by side comparisons. The flavor and shape descriptions fit Sweet Mama but that one is dark green. I am still waiting on Honibee to tell us the name.

Modesto, CA(Zone 8b)

Hi Farmerdill!

I asked our U.C. Cooperative Extension agent about ID-ing a Kabocha-type squash I had grown one year. He said they pollinate each other so freely that I may have a new "un-named" type growing in my garden. I will get to the fruit stand and get the name of the one on my kitchen counter....and also post a pic. The lady told me the name when I bought it but I can't remember it now (naturally). Thanks for checkin' in! I think you're right, it tastes like one....I think Kabocha-types may be my favorite!

Karen :~D

Noblesville, IN(Zone 5a)

Hi,

Yes, it is called Kabocha sweet Japanese.

Carmel, NY(Zone 6b)

I can't find it in the PDB - does anyone know if it has another name?

Modesto, CA(Zone 8b)

I'm pretty sure mine has a different name....but then again...many plants are called different things in different areas! I will check with the fruit stand tomorrow and get the name of mine.....we'll probably end up with several different names for very similar squash!

Herbie43, I have seed from mine. If you want some please DG email me.

Karen

Noblesville, IN(Zone 5a)

I also have seeds if anyone want to trade for some other veggie seed.

Renton, WA(Zone 7a)

I grew delicata this year and have extra seeds, it is wonderfull and sweet.

Modesto, CA(Zone 8b)

What does Deilcata look like? Do you have a pic? K

Belfield, ND(Zone 4a)

Looks like a buttercup to me. I'll post some pics in a minute, after I go take some.

This message was edited Nov 20, 2004 12:18 AM

Belfield, ND(Zone 4a)

Here's a picture of my buttercup squash.

Thumbnail by Joan
Belfield, ND(Zone 4a)

And the bottom.

Thumbnail by Joan
Carmel, NY(Zone 6b)

Kachinagirl - there's a picture of the in the PDB. I tasted it for the first time this year and fell in love! (It still amazes me how many people crinkle their noses when you say the word "squash". I don't think they realize how many different varieties there are, and all the wonderful different flavors you can experience! I know I'm sold!!!

HoniBee - you have mail!

Renton, WA(Zone 7a)

A delicata looks like the white one pictured above only it is orange, I ate the last one so can't get a picture. sorry
carol

Augusta, GA(Zone 8a)

All the Delicata I have encountered look like this. I borrowed the photo from Stokes. The bush version is listed as dark green but I have not grown it.

Thumbnail by Farmerdill
Franklin, NC(Zone 6b)

The Delicatas I've seen look like this one. There are a couple of improved varieties called Honey Boat and Sugar Loaf. They're sugary sweet, but they don't have the rich, nutty flavor of a Kabocha.

http://www.ecst.csuchico.edu/~atman/gardening/delicata.jpg

Hey, looks like we were working on this at almost the same time and I didn't see your post, Dill. Great minds...

This message was edited Nov 20, 2004 2:38 PM

Augusta, GA(Zone 8a)

It s a little tough trying to watch Virginia - Georgia Tech with one eye and read these posts with the other.

Carmel, NY(Zone 6b)

Funny, the delicata I had was pale green w/dark green stripes like the one in the PDB.

Carmel, NY(Zone 6b)

FarmerDill and Ag - I think we are all on the same page. Alas, now I'm Jonesing for a delicata...bummer!

Modesto, CA(Zone 8b)

Ha! I went to the fruit stand today (and yes, I bought another squash!). I asked the lady.....mine is called a JARRAHDALE. Here's a link to a pic.....scroll down to the second from the last photo.

http://www.felcopruners.net/catalog.0.html17.0.html

It's 12" across the top and 10" high.....it will make 2 meals for my family. And those are the seeds I have available....and now I know how to label them!

Murfreesboro, TN(Zone 7a)

Kachinagirl,

STOP! Put down the knife! (And pick up a camera first, please?) We have no images of Jarrahdale in the PDB: http://davesgarden.com/pdb/go/61933/index.html and it would be great to have one of the intact squash, and at least that shows the flesh color before you cook it.

Okay, after you do that, then by all means, cut it, cook it and enjoy ;o)
Terry

Modesto, CA(Zone 8b)

Done deal Terry! I have a half and a whole! I will go take a pic now and put them in the Database on Monday (my camera works with my office computer). I'll even put something in the pic for scale, they're big (and yummy!!!). Karen :~D

"Stop! Put down the knife!".....made me sound like crazed killer....LOL!!!!

EDITED....weighed the whole one....15 pounds!

This message was edited Nov 20, 2004 4:09 PM

Rocky Mount, VA(Zone 7a)

Terry, you a good eye, and a keen wit! I would have had a fit if Kachinagirl had cut first need to see the pics - can't wait for mon. to get here!

Noblesville, IN(Zone 5a)

Here are some pictures of different squashes.

http://www.ebfarm.com/FarmStand/PumpkinID.aspx

Carmel, NY(Zone 6b)

HoniBee and Karen - thanks for the GREAT links...of course, now I want them ALL!!! I think I should just quite my job and grow stuff!

Great thread!

Renton, WA(Zone 7a)

Ok now I am in trouble, mine was identical to the white one pictured only orange, it was basket ball size, I ran out and re checked my tags it says delicata and I bought them from parks. All I know is it was delicious and I have seeds I will google kabocha and see if I see it.I will share seeds if anyone wants to try it. it was tasty.

Renton, WA(Zone 7a)

found it in the parks catalogue it is a kabocha sunshine, looks as if they got their seeds mixed up. but it is a wonderfull squash

Carmel, NY(Zone 6b)

What a lucky way to discover a new veggie! Would love to try a few seeds. Maybe we could do a trade? I have lots of yummy veggie seeds. Will send you an e-mail.

Western, WI(Zone 4a)

I have Delicata squash seeds to trade for some of the ones mentioned.

Just contact me.

Maxine

Modesto, CA(Zone 8b)

Here is the Jarrahdale Squash.....(the half is now inside my family...LOL)

I am adding this pic to the Database. K

(Edited...I was told they make nice Jack-O-Lanterns also....)

This message was edited Nov 22, 2004 10:28 AM

Thumbnail by Kachinagirl
Rocky Mount, VA(Zone 7a)

Thanx for the picx, will check the pdb entry

Murfreesboro, TN(Zone 7a)

Thanks, Katchinagirl (sorry for the police tactics - I just had visions of you reading it immediately after chopping it up!)

I have 'Jarrahdale' seeds from a trade, and I plan to try them next year. I planted the Bush Delicata this year (because my mom turned me on to the most delicious squash soup last year...) but the squash bugs and borers eventually won the battle. Oh, well...at least I can buy some storebought squash to make the soup. (Not as fun as growing my own, but still tasty.)

Next year, the Remay will go on early....

C'mon, y'all! Squashes (and many vegetables) are seriously under-represented in the PDB. We need pictures and notes and details.... (And entries! If your favorite isn't in there, you can add it or ask us and we'll help you get started.)

Renton, WA(Zone 7a)

Sorry but I ate all of mine before getting a picture, next year I will think before eating.
sorry carol

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.