Where can I buy Dolomite Lime?

Pembroke Pines, FL(Zone 10a)

I asked this question on General Discussion but no responce. Does anyone know where I can buy some?

Atascadero, CA(Zone 8a)

A quick Google search came up with several sources incl:

http://www.mortonproducts.com/page.cfm/1492 (50 # bag $3.00 plus s&h, ships from TN)

One site said it is readily available at many nurseries. . .no experience buying it, but you can run your own search to find a source closer to home maybe. . . Janet

Pflugerville, TX(Zone 8b)

Where I live you don't have to buy it......you live with it LOL

Seriously though, I think Home Depot carries it. If it is not routinely stocked in plant nurseries in your area, you might check pet or fish stores, or other retailers that cater to those with ponds since dolomite lime is also used to buffer or raise the pH in fish tanks and ponds.

Efland, NC(Zone 7a)

Farm Supply stores have it. (Feed stores, farm/garden stores, like Southern States, Tractor Supply, for example)

Some garden stores have it but you'll have to ask for it (I've seen where they only shelf hydrated lime, but in the back they have dolimite...don't ask me why, I have no idea!~)

Augusta, GA(Zone 8a)

In this area all the feed and seeds, Lowes, Home Depot , Walmart etc caryy dolomitic limestone. Comes in two forms, just plan ground dolomitic limestone and the fancy pelletized stuff. You also find plain ground limestone but it is rare here. Dolomite has magnesium as well as calcium carbonates. Some of the uptown centers will carry hydrated lime (Calcium hydroxide) mainly because it is an instant pH fix fror the impatient.

I would expect a similar situation in Florida. Typically a 50 lb bag of the ground (powdered ) dolomite will run a bout $2.50, the pellitized a liitle over $ 3.00.

Thanks to all for your help. According to your searches, I found Plantitearth and Harvest Garden. They had the best price. Would like to know more about the 50 lb. bag for $3.00? All you people are terrific! Thanks so much...

Tellico Plains, TN(Zone 7b)

I would not recommend palletized. Why pay to slow down the absorption process?

Good ol barn lime at any farm type feed supplier is your best bet . prolly 2 bucks for a 70# bag

Once you find a feed store/mill like this you can get a lot of your garden supplements there with out paying jacked up prices from a nursery supply or greenhouse. Where do you think they get thiers ?

I get grit (for sharp drainage), alfalfa meal, barn lime, corn gluten meal, soy meal and feed grade molasses for my garden at mine. Plus the occasional 1 ton order of Horse feed. lol

Augusta, GA(Zone 8a)

Actually the pelletized is not any slower acting. they just use a water soluble carrier to clump it together to make it easier too handle. Convenience cost so if you don't mind the fine powder you can save some money.
dolomitic limestone is worth it if your soil has a low magnesium count as do most of the eastern sandy soils. If you don't need the magnesium then plain lime is good enough. Limestone is heavy, so it is a good ides to avoid shipping costs and buy locally.

I just don't understand why it is not available in my suburban area? I prefer the pelletized dolomite because it is the windy season here and the powdered lime will blow all over the place. I am working on virgin soil and it does have a low mineral content and a ph of 3.5, so I want to build it to 6.5. I will use some bone meal and kelp to kick start the soil.

Augusta, GA(Zone 8a)

I don't understand either. Florida has acid soil so it would used on lawns as well as gardens. Don't you have Walmart, Lowes, Home Depot as well as local garden centers. They all carry it everywhere I have been.

Murfreesboro, TN(Zone 7a)

If you have these stores, but they don't carry it, seek out the lawn/garden center manager and ask them to order some. Chances are good they can get it since it's available elsewhere in their distribution system. (They also shouldn't charge you any "special order" fees for it.) Who knows? Maybe your request will prompt them to start carrying it all the time.

As I stated previously, My Lowes, Home Depot, Walmart, K-Mart don't carry it and told me all merchandise comes from the home office. Some didn't even know what I was talking about. I am a very persistent individual with a type A personality profile. I don't quit! But when dealing with non-knowledgeable people -- what can one do? This is why I knew ya'll could help me. I will E-mail their home office.

Pflugerville, TX(Zone 8b)

You might also be able to find it at a pet store that sells African Rift lake cichlids or salt water fish, or at a nursery that carries supplies for ponds..

Never thought of that PV -- Thanks

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.