New fig tree

Granbury, TX(Zone 7b)

After moving back to Texas in early October, the first thing I looked for at the local nursery was a fig tree. They had one left - a four foot stick with about five leaves at the top. We planted it, hoping it would perk up by next spring. To our surprise, it has more than doubled the number of leaves and actually has about 6 figs starting to develop, the largest about thumbnail size already. I'm wondering if these babies have any chance of maturing in my zone 7b garden or if I should pick them off so the tree's energy is used for getting established.

So.App.Mtns., United States(Zone 5b)

I'd pick off the fruit this year so the tree has more chance to get established.

Josephine, Arlington, TX(Zone 8a)

Dear Sugarfoot, my name is Josephine and I live in Arlington Texas not very far from you.
You didn't say what type of fig you have, but I suppose it is the Texas brown turkey, which is the most common fig around here. I have one in my back yard that is 35 years old and has many trunks. Sometimes if the temperature drops below 10 degrees the fig tree will dye to the ground but it always comes back in the spring. Mine has died to the ground a few times, but no problem.
The fruits on your little tree will probably drop off by themselves if you haven't picked them.
Just give it plenty of water, they do like that, and mulch around it with compost if you have any, if not, use leaves or grass clippings, and next year it will grow like crazy.
We love ours, and we eat the fruit fresh and also make jam which is delicious, that is of course if the birds and the squirrels leave some for us.
Good Luck with your tree, and please keep in touch.
Sincerely, Josephine

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.