Age Old Problem: Fungus Gnats

Gold Beach, OR(Zone 9a)

I get fungus gnats in the greenhouse. Right now there are a lot of them. I use a flying insect spray. I think its Black Flag and its in all the stores in a blue spray can. What I do is close the vents, put a mask on and spray the entire greenhouse, aiming it at the plants and soil. This one does not hurt the plants at all, you can spray it directly on them. Then I hurry, get it sprayed, get out of the greenhouse and leave it closed for at least 30 minutes. Then I go in and open all the vents and leave the doors open to get it back out. It actually has a pleasant scent, but it will kill all flying bugs.

Now it does not seem to kill the eggs so you will still have them sprouting up. I have run out of spray but if I am finding them I do spray every Friday. If I see no bugs then I skip a week. When I was keeping up with it I only had to spray once a month.

No matter what you use, when it wears off, all you need is one fat female full of eggs and you start all over, this spray is cheap. It works for me. I also use it on the few house plants I have. Only use the blue one, I got another that was for flying insects and it damaged the plants.

Brookeville, MD(Zone 7a)

My plants are all in the house though, I don't have a greenhouse. I wish I did!

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.