Pentas seeds?

Merced, CA(Zone 9a)

I hope I am not duplicating postings. I did a search and came up with nadda. My pentas are looking like they are about to give up the ghost for winter, and I am wondering, the dead seed heads, are these seeds? There are several plants I am wondering about, I hate to spend all the effort to discover these aren't seeds or not worth keeping. Blue Plumbago, Lisianthus, so many others come to mind as fall takes hold. Baa, or some other wise woman, posted how to tell if the Hybrid is an F1, and what would determine seed saving was not advisable, but I can't for the life of now, find it.

Castro Valley, CA(Zone 9a)

Wish I could help, but don't know this one, bump

Pocola, OK(Zone 7a)

Ladyannne, those seed heads where the flowers were, will dry out and turn brown. Each capsule will open up into a honeycomb look. Clip them off with scissors and be careful not to turn them over as the seeds are really tiny and will fall out. It seems like it takes forever for them to turn brown, but the darker they are, the bigger the hole gets for the seeds to fall out.

Merced, CA(Zone 9a)

Cherish, that is exactly what I was looking for, thank you!!!!

Pocola, OK(Zone 7a)

You're welcome.

Pocola, OK(Zone 7a)

By the way, what color of pentas do you have? I have the light pink but I'm looking for some of different colors.

Merced, CA(Zone 9a)

Oh no, now she tells me, after I put the light and dark pink and the purple all in the same bowl to dry. SOB!!!

Pocola, OK(Zone 7a)

LOL That's OK! I still would like some. If there isn't anything on my tradelist you want, may I send SASE?

Merced, CA(Zone 9a)

No problem at all, dear! I saw your email and will keep your address to send some to you. wondering how long before they are dry enough? Just picked the heads about a week ago. Weeks or months?

Pocola, OK(Zone 7a)

Well, I don't know how well they will dry after you pick them. I always leave them on the plant to dry. I've been wondering if it will work to go ahead and pick them and let them dry in the house. I know it takes a couple of months on the stem, so it may or may not take that long off of the plant. This will be a good way to find out. If they do just as well or better off of the plant and still be viable, I would rather do that so that the plant thinks it's job is not done and will flower better. We'll just have to wait and see.
Sherri

Merced, CA(Zone 9a)

I tried cutting off the flower heads after they are really dead and discombobulated, in an attempt to see if the plant would reflower and it did!! I threw those heads away, or lost them. At least I have the last ones! I will keep you posted!

Castro Valley, CA(Zone 9a)

discombobulated, I love that word, use it a lot, fits me to a tee, lol

Pocola, OK(Zone 7a)

ROFLOL That is a pretty cool word, isn't it?

Merced, CA(Zone 9a)

ROFL!! Did I even spell that right? I went to Barnes and Nobles (an EVIL store who takes my money in large quantities) and found a dictionary of old, unused or unusual words. Heaven!! Sad we forget as much as we have learned! I found out my hunnie comes from generations of abiguses, and that he is inflicted with abligurition.

Pocola, OK(Zone 7a)

OK, you are going to have to give us some definitions here.............:-)

Merced, CA(Zone 9a)

LOL...sorry, could not resist. I come from a long line fo stuffy families, he says he comes from a long line of horse thieves, so when I found that word, I had to laugh. It means a cattle rustler, literally. The second word means an extravagence in cooking. The man can't cook plain anything, he comes up with incredible, twenty two step dishes. It's a miracle we both don't weigh hundreds of pounds.

Pocola, OK(Zone 7a)

:-) LOL Cattle rustlers, eh?

Merced, CA(Zone 9a)

Lol...yup. A long, long line of local ranchers....lol....

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.