Garlic question?

Bethelridge, KY(Zone 6a)

Is it too late to set out fall garlic sets in this area? Anyone?

Thanks in advance.

Enkoping, Sweden

Big red, I cant answer your question I can tell you that we plant out garlic late april and we get quite large garlic.we start them indoors 2 weeks earlyer in small pots.Next year we put out 6000 plants.

Roger

Benton, KY(Zone 7a)

Do it now Red....much later and they might not set roots before freeze.

So.App.Mtns., United States(Zone 5b)

Can't hurt to try. I did mine about this time of year, but 6b... and I just used whole cloves.

Zion, IL(Zone 5a)

Just put my own in a week ago. Kind of like spring bulbs, as long as the ground isn't frozen then plant them. I plant then put on about 6-8" shredded leaves (or straw a couple of times). I've read you shouldn't mulch until after the ground freezes but I do it when I plant and water. Let's you plant later and delays the ground freezing solid so they still get a start on setting roots and they have no problem coming through in the spring. The mulch is already in place then and by the time the garlic is ready to harvest the leaves have just about broken down completely and more fertilizer has been added. I then grow bush beans in the empty garlic bed. Adds nitrogen back into the soil. Next thing you know the frost comes and it's time to start the cycle again.

This message was edited Nov 20, 2004 8:31 PM

Sounds like a good plan, 8ft. Welcome to DG!

Zion, IL(Zone 5a)

Thanks Darius. How are you a 6b in north kakalakee? In the mountains somewhere?

Yes, I am in the far SW tip of NC in the mountains, close to 3,000 feet elevation. I was in Asheville, farther east, zone 6b and I'm hoping this higher elevation will be close enough to still "feel" 6b. Our elevations here run up to 4500' in this county so part of it is probably a much colder zone.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.