Echinacea purpurea true from seed???

Springboro, OH(Zone 6a)

Just wondering how much seedlings can be expected to vary from the parent plant. Any help? Thanks! -- Hugs :)

Echinacea purpurea is a species so it shouldn't vary very much at all. If it's a cultivar of E. purpurea like 'Magnus' then seeds from that may produce plants that are a bit different.

Springboro, OH(Zone 6a)

Thanks! I'm wondering if Magnus is what I'm after. I've looked at plants labelled 'Magnus' from several resources and all the photos look different! Ha. lol. Maybe it's lighting, time of year, region, I don't know. I'd like a little deeper color to the petals than the very soft purple/pink, and the Echinacea I'm looking for has a large, orange center. Wondering how I can ensure that the plant will look like what I want. There seems to be more variation than I originally thought. Some flowers in the photos are much smaller than others (pinching or pruning maybe)? I prefer the larger flowers.

Zion, IL(Zone 5a)

So far it appears my originals have self-seeded reliably true. I've started cutting them down rather than leaving the seed heads up for winter interest and the finches. While I love the echinacea, they're starting to colonize and I have a hard time getting rid of perfectly good plants.

SO - I'm hoping two new additions will also come true from seed. I couldn't resist paying premium prices for the new orange coneflower 'Orange Meadowbrite' or 'Art's Pride'. I also got one called Razzamataz that is a show stopper. I've saved seeds from both and let others fall naturally. I'm hoping to get a nice drift of the Orange and the 'White Swan' going.

Springboro, OH(Zone 6a)

Thanks 8ft!

Oak Grove, MN(Zone 4a)

Hugahosta, has your baby come yet? My purple coneflowers have reseeded for years and I have planted some of them in friends and family's yards. All of them look very much like the parent plants do, grow and bloom like crazy.

Zion, IL(Zone 5a)

And how about a warm afternoon downwind of a fair grouping of cones. Perfume that could be bottled.

Springboro, OH(Zone 6a)

Yes, Sylvi, she has arrived :) Joy Elisabeth, born October 26 at 8 lbs. 6 oz. and 21" long :) She's beautiful and such a darling. Thanks so much for asking, and thanks too for the coneflower info :)
Take care -- Jacci

Oak Grove, MN(Zone 4a)

Congratulations on Joy Elisabeth! What a lovely name. Now you have all winter to teach her to garden. Maybe we could see some pictures?

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.