FIRST SNOW Texas/OK Panhandles

Fritch, TX(Zone 6b)

Someone in another forum suggested I post this here, it is unusual to get this much snow this early. If you have been watching nature and animal haircoats, you are probably not surprised at the early arrival of ccc-cold weather...

Believe it or not, the main highway from Fritch to Amarillo was closed this morning after several commuters were pulled out of ditches. We are just getting a few inches, Amarillo is expected to get 6-8 inches before it is all over, and this is WET snow. The plants would love it if it weren't for the freezing temps and wind chill.

Last night, the entire Panhandle(s) (OK & TX) were under 1 of three warnings: Winter Weather, Winter Storm, and Blowing Snow.

Yes, blowing snow advisory, try seeing to drive in it, worse than blowing rain or sleet, because all you see is white. All I did was cross the highway from the grocery store, and an Atmos Energy truck almost hit me becasue he didn't have any lights on (not even a turn signal) and I COULD NOT SEE HIM. I called and reported him. He followed me for two turns, still no lights or turn signals. The postman was driving without lights too, SOME PEOPLE, huff, huff.

It is just beautiful, I took a picture of my cosmos covered in snow. Sorry, don' t have it yet, as it was a disposable camera.

My kids are loving to watch it out the window. They have been praying for snow for Christmas. The last time my six year old prayed for snow, he was two, and we lived in Amarilllo. For Christmas in 2000, we got a record three feet of snow in three days. Maybe it was only two feet, NO I DON'T EXAGGERATE, my memory just ain't what it used to be. (someone could look it up I bet)

please...SOMEONE MAYBE WILL ADD THE LINKS TO THE WEATHER CHANNEL OR SOMETHING. I NEED TO GET OFF THIS COMPUTER AND STOKE UP THE WOODSTOVE....pretty please

It's snowing, it's snowing, the old man is raving!

I came up with that while I was out feeding the dog. Say it to the tune of the raining rhyme. And tell horseshoe, he loves a good poem LOL

Regards, Tamara

Gordonville, TX(Zone 7b)

Temps are dropping here too! What the heck is going on?

Fritch, TX(Zone 6b)

.... el nino.... check the 11 year cycle, I bet that is it...

Gordonville, TX(Zone 7b)

My feet are cold.

Fritch, TX(Zone 6b)

put them by the fire, silly...

Gordonville, TX(Zone 7b)

Oh, never thought of that. Thanks!

Fritch, TX(Zone 6b)

way 2 silly...I am sure it is not THAT cold there

so where is everyone? I would post pics from the local weather channel if I had time. I just saw on the news (but already remembered) that the weather was EXACTLY like this during the last presidential election. 9 inches of snow, high of 39, low of 24. Turnout of voters in amarillo was unusually high then, and is expected to be even higher this time.

my kids want to toast marshmallows, think I will oblige, then plan to sink my teeth into a fresh from colorado gala apple, just delivered about 10 minutes ago. Looks as if most of the wet stuff has melted here.

for pictures try http://www.kvii.com
or
http://www.newschannel10.com

Gordonville, TX(Zone 7b)

No its not (52*) but, this place is drafty and my feet are cold!

Fritch, TX(Zone 6b)

aaawwwwwhhhhh...

Fritch, TX(Zone 6b)

I guess nobody believes me, they aren't even posting.

Here is tonights forecast:
24* F for a low, with a COLD wind
dangerous road conditions as the snow and packed snow FREEZES HARD (please pray for safety)

Tomorrow:
high of 42*

Today it got up to 33* F. Amarillo got 8 -9 inches, Dimmit got 10 inches, and their roads were closed, Fritch/Borger got 2 inches.

I don't think many of my tiny pole beans wil be ripening after this hard freeze. And I might as well go pick that watermelon and throw it in the compost, where it will be much warmer. Glad I got a picture of my cosmos today, and picked the last of my ripened cukes two days ago. One day I will have an underground greenhouse and not have these difficulties.

Sleep warm,
TamaraFaye

(Way2, I talk a little funny myself. After 22 years of living in Texas, I sometimes slip with my Cal-E-for-n-I-A accent. When I moved here it was so obvious everyone else had the accent, I wonder what happened?)

Plano, TX(Zone 8a)

TamaraFaye,
Was watching the other thread and checked over here. Can't believe it is so cold there, and snow?!? Wow.

John, you're a joker. I think your weather is close to mine! :-)

This message was edited Nov 2, 2004 8:12 PM

Moab, UT(Zone 6b)

TamaraFaye, unusual weather may well become the norm. Alaska is dry and warmer than you. 6,8, 10 inches of snow must be unusual this early in the year, but no- you say same four yrs ago. But the tongue of cold reaching down from the arctic sure looks ominous on the maps.

Gordonville, TX(Zone 7b)

I will have to start wearing shoes again, I guess.

Moab, UT(Zone 6b)

Well at least wool socks and sheepskin lined booties

Fritch, TX(Zone 6b)

My three year old loves his sandals so much, it was all I could do to get him to wear socks under them today. He stayed inside because he is just getting over the croup, but we still got to keep his tootsies warm. :) I hear in Austin they are still wearing their Birks. Frankly, I would wear sandals all the time if I wasn't having to set an example for my kiddos. LOL

Thanks for all your sympathy everyone. I have lived here long enough to experience much worse conditions. Everyone here is glad to see it get cold enough soon enough. It helps kill offf unwanted things like pests and molds and such.

Our gala apples were sure good...

Moab, UT(Zone 6b)

I wear socks with my sandals, light ones to start and then wool when it gets colder - and then a colorful pair of fleece ones just for running to the PO

Gordonville, TX(Zone 7b)

I put my sandals away for now. A difficult day. :-(

Fritch, TX(Zone 6b)

well, silly way2, that is why your feet are so cold...!!! go get your sandals (or something) on!!!!!!!

a weather update, the official snowfall for Dimitt, Texas (SW of Amarillo) was 13 (thir-teen) inches for today. It will continue to snow tonight in the SE part of the panhandle. No more for Fritch. Willl be in the 70s again by the weekend. Nothing freaky, just Panhandle Weather.

will be staying up late watching election results, stoking the fire, and waiting for all this caffeine to get out of my system. I just LOVE winter (and fall)

Gordonville, TX(Zone 7b)

I'm going to borrow the cat's heating pad and go to bed. They are still voting in Ohio!

Moab, UT(Zone 6b)

Night John, hope you get over your chill. heating pads are the BEST, but you should get your own... poor chilly fur covered kitty

Gordonville, TX(Zone 7b)

I have some fur but, not as much as the cat. Besides, Starr (the cat) kept my feet warm last night.

Moab, UT(Zone 6b)

It was the CAT I was talking about

Pflugerville, TX(Zone 8b)

I read about the snow in amarillo...ok...ok....so you weren't exacgerating...at least about the weather LOL

Gordonville, TX(Zone 7b)

I'm confused.

Fritch, TX(Zone 6b)

way2, I don't get what you are confused about, are you changing your username?

Wataminit~
I might be confused too, maybe blooms had too much chocolate like I did last night. I got absolutely little sleep last night between the *late news* and keeping the home fires burning.

Oh, well. Hope everyone is warm tonight. We will be 25* F. Here we go again, cOLD, COLD, COLD. ANd I am NOT exaggerating, just exasperating. But no more snow for now. Probably not till turkey day.

This message was edited Nov 3, 2004 9:51 PM

Gordonville, TX(Zone 7b)

I mentioned the election and had my post deleted by Dave. There I said "election" again. Now what!

Belfield, ND(Zone 4a)

Are you all serious or are you joking?

If you are serious, then I really, truly DO belong in the Texas forum. We are having nicer weather than you are right now.

Fritch, TX(Zone 6b)

JoanJ~
The humor only helps to warm my soul, yes, it is COLD here and it did SNOW. You are welcome in Texas or the Texas forum anytime. Contrary to rumors, we did not cecede from the other forums. j/k

way2~use the edit key like I did----quickly!

Gordonville, TX(Zone 7b)

Are we having fun yet?

Belfield, ND(Zone 4a)

Wow. We've had cold and snow already, but NOT 9 inches like you have had. I'm assuming that it will melt off quickly for you though. If we got 9 inches, we'd have it until about March.

This has to be way beyond normal for you.

Gordonville, TX(Zone 7b)

Normal is not normal around here Joan.

Belfield, ND(Zone 4a)

No, we don't have a normal around here anymore either.

imway2dumb, please don't be offended. You agreed to the rules here and if you don't like my enforcement of the rules, then leave. I hate to talk that way to you, but please give me a break! :)

Dave

Moab, UT(Zone 6b)

Tamara - my question exactly - how long will your snowy inches last? Will your bright sun evaporate it into the air, like often happens here?

John, see what I got for my footies today. Not real anything, except cheap... but warrrm. They come in black too. LOL ~Blooms

Thumbnail by BloomsWithaView
Gordonville, TX(Zone 7b)

Lighten up and smile Dave. Sheesh.

Moab, UT(Zone 6b)

C'mon John, it's a simple rule ... how bout them boots?

Gordonville, TX(Zone 7b)

Yeah, but. ;-) Them boots are purple, girl! Like my toes. Now its down to 39* and my ears are cold too.

Moab, UT(Zone 6b)

We're down to 30* already, gonna be chilly by morning. No wind, but no clouds and NO humidity. --- I SAID they come in BLACK

edit to add - LLBean sells a Manly version. GRINNNS

This message was edited Nov 3, 2004 11:37 PM

Gordonville, TX(Zone 7b)

Oh. Guess I wasn't listening.

Rocky Mount, VA(Zone 7a)

54.1 Deg 70% RH temp going down RH going up, will be a cool, damp morning here. Not too worry the heat pump is still working.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.