Clematis question

Bryson, QC(Zone 4a)

Could someone tell me-for clematis do we just sow them out at this time of yr.? or, in Spring or inside??
Thanks, Ingrid - Is there any special way of planting more or less is my question...

Mirpur (A.K), Pakistan(Zone 9b)

Ingrid
I have an encyclopedia of plants , I will tell you later because here time is 1:41AM and my son is sleeping so I cannot swtich on the light. sorry.
kaleem

Bryson, QC(Zone 4a)

gumlla-Thank-You.
Ingrid

Propagate by seed in late summer and cuttings in late spring, no need of any special arrangement.

position
Light, loamy, alkaline soil, which should be cool and moist. full sun.

No serious pest and disease.
kaleem

Bryson, QC(Zone 4a)

gumlla
Thanks so much Kaleem-
Best Wishes Ingrid

You are always welcome.

Zion, IL(Zone 5a)

Ingrid,
not to rain on your parade but if you're going to try starting clematis from seed, do it in pots or flats you can put out of the way. I've read multiple times how clematis from seed could be ... 365+ days to germinate or not at all. I didn't believe it but have never had any sprout inside or out. Come to think of, if it was easy we'd be overrun by clematis considering they don't get cut back till spring, if at all.

May you have the green touch in starting them from seed. But if not - I didn't want you thinking you were doing something wrong.

good luck
blaine

Merced, CA(Zone 9a)

Clematis always blooms on last year's growth, so trim it up when it gets larger only after it blooms, just in case you did not know.

Zion, IL(Zone 5a)

Ahhh, keep in mind the different groups of clematis. One haircut doesn't actually fit.

When I prune, I definitely do it in the spring just before bud break. Other than taking some top growth off in the fall so the winter storms don't rip everything down.

Jack Manii's group gets cut back to about 6" each spring. If I let it go without a little topping during the summer, but late July I have virtual barndoors swinging on either side of the garage. You get the initial heavy flush then they just keep coming till frost.

Some groups are only thinned or just reduced in height some or all the blooms are at the top like a lilac that is not kept in check

I've tried to stay with the groups that that bloom on old and new and the last couple of years have cut everything down to between 6 and 12". Every year they are getting bigger and drawing more attention. When I put grapes out back, I put some clematis (some collection developed by a monk) thinking they could just fill in until the grapes got going. I thought these were ones that should only be topped a little. Well the next spring after planting, I discovered rabbits had sliced 'em all about 1" above ground. They grew and bloomed anyway. Since then, every spring I disentangle the clematis and cut them all down to about 4-6" so I can get to the grapes and prune them. The clematis are having TOO much fun and completely swamp that fence then cover with blooms. I can post a couple of rampant, 1 year growth pictures if you'd like.

This shot was taken 7/10/03 for the summer plant swap I hosted. Look at the corner of the garage. That's not an arborvitae - it's one of the Jack Manii since cut back in spring.

Thumbnail by 8ftbed
Winnetka, IL

I heard scare stories about Clems taking forever to germinate, but out of curiosity, I sowed some C. hexapetala collected from my garden a few weeks ago. Jiffy pellet, heat mat, grow light, dome. They germinated in a week! I also collected some 'Ramona', but nothing yet. I'm also trying to stratify them.

Saltillo, MS

8ftbed----I'm am new to this gardening site, but not to gardening. I do have a question on Jackamani (your's is beautiful- I am envious). I have a Jack at the corner of my house. I have LOTS of trees and this Jack is facing Northeast. I doesn't get LOTS of sun, but some sun during the heat of the day. My question pertains to blooming. I set this out 2 years ago and it sat there, then last year it shot up 10ft, but NO blooms. Yesterday I cut it back 2ft (maybe should've cut more? ??? but it had leaf buds starting) When does yours start blooming? and did you say it bloomed off and on all summer?
OH and I have started Nelly Moser seeds by accident before. I just waited until the seed head went silver then broke them apart and scattered them on my soil and they started popping up.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.