Flat Iron Pumpkin

Noblesville, IN(Zone 5a)

Does anyone have info. on this pumpkin. I need to know if it is edible. It is a beautiful white pumpkin?

Augusta, GA(Zone 8a)

Sorry I only know, Baby Boo, Casper and Lumina among the white pumpkins. However if if it is a pumpkin and not a gourd it should be edible. The quality only you can judge. There are other older white cultivars so hopefully someone in SSE can provide more information.

Noblesville, IN(Zone 5a)

Thanks, The pumpkin is white, about 10" in dia.and is very squat if this helps at all.

Augusta, GA(Zone 8a)

I am curious where did you find seeds for "Flat Iron"?. Cotton Candy is blocky, but I have never seen a squatty white pumpkin. Most of them like the popular Lumina are tall pumpkins.

Noblesville, IN(Zone 5a)

My Sister had them and I am not sure where they came from. I will try to find out.

Noblesville, IN(Zone 5a)

Here is a picture of the pumpkin

Thumbnail by makshi
Noblesville, IN(Zone 5a)

Here is a side view.

Thumbnail by makshi
Augusta, GA(Zone 8a)

That is indeed a flat pumpkin. I still can find no information on it either by name or shape. Everytime I go through a suppliers list I look , maybe it will turn up.

Noblesville, IN(Zone 5a)

Please keep helping me look.

Modesto, CA(Zone 8b)

I'll check around here too, Diane. I live in the CA central valley...big farmland.. maybe one of the farmers around here has heard of it. This is fascinating. Looks like someone sat on it! K

Noblesville, IN(Zone 5a)

Thanks Kach

Augusta, GA(Zone 8a)

Honi Bee;
Have you cut one yet. If so so is the flesh deep orange. Is it a pure white or sort of a very light tan. There is a long Island Cheese that is report to have some white on it and the standard tan cheese can be pretty light, It has the shape of a Cheese pumpkin.

Noblesville, IN(Zone 5a)

It is white and the interior is bright orange.

Louisville, KY

Your Pumpkin picture looks too much like a Long Island Cheese Pumpkin for anything else. "Flat Iron" must be a common name used in your area for this pumpkin.
Gary/Louisville

Atascadero, CA(Zone 8a)

I agree with VGMKY. . .looks very much like a Cheese Pumpkin. . .one group among others of Cucurbita moschata. Not from my own experience, but from what I've read, It is beautiful to look at, resembling a huge wheel of cheese in a natural rind, hence the name, but alas, it is not good to eat.
Evidently it has little flavor, little sugar and turns a funny color when canned. They grow just about everywhere, except the far north, very cold intolerant. There are two varieties that I know of that look very similar to yours, Cutchogue Flat Cheese at about 3 1/2 inches long by 10' wide and weighing up to 6 pounds and Long Island Cheese which is larger, 6 x 11 1/2 inches and weighing up to about 12 pounds. They keep very well and thus are good decorative material.

Guess one has to make their own judgment on whether you like the flavor and texture since taste is subjective.

Louisville, KY

"Not from my own experience, but from what I've read, It is beautiful to look at, resembling a huge wheel of cheese in a natural rind, hence the name, but alas, it is not good to eat."
jcangemi

I disagree! Of any pumpkins I have ever had, The Long Island Cheese Pumpkin was the Best! The flesh cooked out to be beautiful in color and the smoothest and great tasting. I froze mine which we used for breads and pies.
Gary/Louisville

Atascadero, CA(Zone 8a)

VGMKY I think I mentioned your sentiment at the end of my post : " Guess one has to make their own judgment on whether you like the flavor and texture since taste is subjective." Glad you liked it, and I certainly wouldn't make a judgment on what someone else wrote (Not from my own experience), but the fact is, that was one person's opinion, just as you have yours. I plan to try a cheese pumpkin and make my own decision on it. That's why I like DG's as you get a broad range of information to draw upon and in the end you decide on your own preference.

Louisville, KY

jcangemi,
You are correct! I agree with your comment " Guess one has to make their own judgment on whether you like the flavor and texture since taste is subjective."

Augusta, GA(Zone 8a)

Honibee; I found a snowhite flattened pumpkin that meets your Flat Iron description. It is called Valenciano and sold by Johnny's

Thumbnail by Farmerdill
Noblesville, IN(Zone 5a)

Farmer Thank you so much. I really hate to cut it open but I may to get the seeds.

Benton, KY(Zone 7a)

I just found this thread... SSE is curator for a pumpkin, (c. maxima) called Flat White. It is SSE # 2064.

There is no other info available on it, as there are no members growing it. The seeds are being preserved by SSE and offered to it's members.

This should indicate that this particular variety isn't commercially available, but similar ones, like yours are probably related.

Augusta, GA(Zone 8a)

Just found another one. It is a c.maxima listed under squash. Sandhill Preservation lists it as Flat White Boer. Missouri Botanical Gardens simply as Boer. It also has orange flesh.

Thumbnail by Farmerdill
Benton, KY(Zone 7a)

Bet these are genetically very similar. And, as with SSE names, things can get mixed up tremendously. We've discussed all of the varieties that have strikingly similar names and descriptions....probably quite a few out there that are the same.

Triomphe de Farcy bean was found in an isolated area (not gonna say where) and the name had been altered over the years to Farting Triumph....seemed more reasonable to the folks who lived in the area and were most likely semi-illiterate.

Noblesville, IN(Zone 5a)

Thanks guys-Guess I will pick one the closes and say that it is may be it.

Augusta, GA(Zone 8a)

Actually, I like the name Flat Iron, better than Flat White, Or Boer. Even better than Valenciano which souds like it should be zucchini. Just give some seeds to those who grow winter squash continue to call it Flat Iron and it will show in catologs in a couple of years. Even better, tell a good story to go with it.

Noblesville, IN(Zone 5a)

Sounds like fun to me. Thanks

Victorville, CA

You guys are too much! Farting Triumph! I love it! Tee Hee! You made my evening! I'll laugh all night.
-Juli

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.