Rooting Mexican Flame Vine cuttings

Burleson, TX(Zone 8a)

I have had luck rooting cuttings by using rooting powder and putting them in Pearlite. But when I transfer them from the PL to potting soil, they die. Why? I have some right now that are doing the same thing. I pulled them out last night and they have more roots, but the stems are dying. Can you use rooting powder and then put them right in the potting soil? Maybe they don't even need to be rooted, just stuck in dirt? I'm trying to preserve this beauty in case it dies to the ground, plus I want to share.

Thumbnail by konkreteblond
Camilla, GA(Zone 8a)

Mine gets killed back each year, and most years doesn't come back, unless a very mild winter.. I stick several cuttings into a good size pot of a good potting soil, keep moist,place in a bright window, and by spring I have several plants to put out along the fence.. They root super easy..

Larkie

Burleson, TX(Zone 8a)

Do you use any rooting powder? (sometimes we make things too difficult)

Camilla, GA(Zone 8a)

I root things from A to Z..Have never found the need for rooting hormones and such...I heartily agree, we sometimes make things too difficult, lol...

Larkie

Park Hill, OK(Zone 6b)

If you like to root in perlite,try using a small pot as a container to hold the perlite, then and stick your cutting in it. Once well rooted, transplant the whole rootball with perlite attached into a larger container avoiding transplant shock. I root them in peat perlite mix 50/50 without any problems.
I hope this helps

Burleson, TX(Zone 8a)

Oh, great idea! I didn't really think of it as being any type of "shock" since other things have done well. I'll get some cuttings and try a few each way and see which one works best.

Waco, TX(Zone 8b)

I rooting some right now in just a jar of water. They are growing like weeds right now in the jar of water. It took about a week or so before I saw any roots but none of the died.

Burleson, TX(Zone 8a)

Great to know, since I just stuck a bunch in water too. I'm just hoping that they transfer to the dirt this time. I'm trying to root them for friends tho, so I guess as long as I get roots on them, the rest is up to them! LOL They'll never suspect a thing...

Fort Worth, TX(Zone 7b)

Good try.

Burleson, TX(Zone 8a)

LOL!! (TXMel is a friend I'm going to give them to) Fine, I'll try the dirt....

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.