Stevia, Sweet Herb of Paraguay (Stevia rebaudiana)

Chesterland, OH(Zone 5b)

I just found (by accident) in the database Stevia, Sweet Herb of Paraguay (Stevia rebaudiana). I had never heard of it till last week when I was in the grocery store and saw it for sale with the other sweetners. I picked up a box to try (It makes Splenda look cheap) It's very good. I see some folks grow it as an annual and someone actually said they were growing in Z6! I am Z5 and would like to try and grow it (as an annual) to harvest my own leaves. Just how much sun does it need?
S

Millersburg, PA(Zone 6b)

I am in 6B, started seeds this spring - had poor germination. Did get a few plants to try. Planted them in full sun, when the sun came out that is, and when it wasn't raining. It grew great and the leaves are unbelievable sweet.

Chesterland, OH(Zone 5b)

Se_eds,
If I can find some to next year, maybe I will try and grow in a pot. That way I can put it in a sunny place.
S

Merced, CA(Zone 9a)

I ran into this plant this year and now have two. We kept in all summer and fall in an northeast outside corner of the house where is was protected from winds and received only early dappled sun. It could have taken a great deal more sun but only if it received more water as well. I brought it into the winter greenhouse last week as we are expecting to dip to low 40's which will last off and on until March. If it goes to the 30's, I plan to bring them inside the house for the night. I am praying it makes it through the winter for it is not a readily available plant locally.

Stockton, CA(Zone 9a)

Stevia does not germinate well from seed unless you plant it fresh. My mom has grown this for years & that is the only way to go. If the seeds are not planted right away, forget it. Here is a link that has some helpful info.
http://www.stevia.net/growingstevia.htm

and also,
http://www.stevianow.com/growing_stevia.htm

hope that helps,
Donna

Chesterland, OH(Zone 5b)

PudgyMudpies,
Thanks for the great links, lots of terrific information. I have a local nursery that is into herbs in a big way. Next spring I will stop and pick up a plant or two and plant in pots and probably keep on them on the deck which is our sunniest spot.
Thanks, S

Merced, CA(Zone 9a)

Donna, thank you ever so much! Off to take a peek.

Archer/Bronson, FL(Zone 8b)

I am so glad to have found this thread!

I planted some Stevia seeds in my small veggie garden in October. This area was totally cleared before I planted. The only seedlings that got surrounded by weeds was the coriander and the Stevia.

My problem is...I can identify the coriander, but I cannot ID the stevia. The seeds were so tiny and we had a hard rain right after I planted, so I have no idea if they germinated, traveled or did nothing at all.

Can anyone see any stevia in this patch? I hate to try to get the weeds out, if I can't tell the difference.

Thanks for any help.

Molly

Thumbnail by MollyMc
Stockton, CA(Zone 9a)

Molly,
here is a link that has several pics.
http://images.google.com/images?q=stevia%20&hl=en&lr=&sa=N&tab=wi
maybe you can tell a bit better in person, but your pic does not look like it has any stevia seedlings in it.
Good Luck,
Donna

Well Donna,

I went out there today and pulled all those weeds up. I tasted anything that didn't look like my common weeds and no sweetness there. So the bed has strawberry plants in it now. They needed more sun anyway.

I was thinking, the Stevia seeds were given to me in May, they had already been opened and used some then clipped back closed. So they were not fresh. I would like to try it again if I can get some fresh seeds.

I have a good sized sweet tooth so would like this for my iced tea and coffee.

Molly
:^)))

Merced, CA(Zone 9a)

This thread caused me to go check out my Stevia, and bring it inas we expecting low temps tonight. Lo and behold, I believe I have seeds, five to be exact, lol!! I was frankly surprised because the flower is sooo tiny. They are the umbrella type, if that is a good word, rather like Jupiter's Beard, a teensy seed attached to a zillion nano wide hairs which catch the wind. I am truly hoping my plant makes it to spring so I can get more seeds next year. I did find a few dealers who carry the seed if anyone wants me to find the catalogs.

NEW CUYAMA, CA

(((:^)))((()))((()))Molly your reminded me of a snowman. What do you think? cute huh?

Hey! That's a good one Eddygirl....LOL

Molly

I just went looking on Ebay for Stevia Plants. I saw several for seeds, but then how fresh might they be?

One seller has 200 plants on dutch auction. Plantranch is the seller. I think I may have bought from her before. Can't remember. So what the heck I bid on 5. Since she has 200, the price will remain at $2.99 each. (that is unless there are bidders for more than 200 plants)

I really would like to have some of these and I have no faith in my ability to grow from seeds.

Molly

They came in last night and here they are. I hope I can grow them. I'm really looking forward to it.

Molly

Thumbnail by MollyMc
Chesterland, OH(Zone 5b)

MollyMc,
Good luck, please keep us posted with pictures.
S

I know it's been a while since I was here. Of the 5 plants, and t hey were actually seedlings, only one remains alive. But good news is, in the meantime I was able to obtain 6 more mature very healthy plants.

I have them growing in pots and today I took my first harvest. They are out on the wagon on newspapers under glass drying right now. Hopefully we'll have enough sun before the rains to get them properly dried out.

Before I read any information on using stevia as sweetner, I pulled a couple leaves off the plants put them in with the brewing tea. Well, it didn't work. And after reading up on it, I see you have to dry them and grind them up to get the sweet released. Sure, chewing on a leaf is sweet, but your teeth are grinding them too.

While I was at it, I took several of the cuttings and put them in starting soil. I figure, why not try it. And since I had to pull the leaves off the rest of the stem, I also put some flats up for the stems to see if I could start them too. Nothing ventured, nothing gained. Gotta be easier than growing them from seeds.

Next step is to grind them up, I don't have a mortar and pestle, so I thought I'd try my "Pampered Chef" chopper.
It has to be easier than chopping up smoked Wahoo.

Molly

Chesterland, OH(Zone 5b)

I'm eager to hear how it goes, good luck
s

Hanover Twp., PA(Zone 6a)

I grow Stevia rebaudiana and never let it die. I cut it back hard in the fall and take it inside for the winter. It sits on a window that gets lots of morning sun and good light the rest of the day. I've had it for years now and it also roots from cuttings.

west Houston, TX(Zone 9a)

I have some seed packets I got as a bonus from a seed company if ya'll want to Dmail me...I never have tried it. Just went and checked have three in those "foil-vacuum packed" seed packets from Park's.

Chesterland, OH(Zone 5b)

Hi dmj1218,
Do you think it is to late in the season to start seeds?

Word has it, those seeds have to be super fresh to germinate. I'd try now and not let them get too old. Nothing to lose I'd say.

Molly

Capistrano Beach, CA(Zone 10a)

i'd love some seeds or seedlings of hrtis plant if anyone has any/ haha... i've never heard of it either, sounds interesting.

west Houston, TX(Zone 9a)

They are vacuum packed should be ok--Its never too late to starts seeds in my opinion--but I'm obviously gardening addicted!

Columbus, OH(Zone 6a)

Glad I found this thread, though surprised it was in Perennials, rather than Annuals or Herbs.

I use the Stevia powder in lemonade and tea, but cooking with it has had mixed results. Do any of you use the leaves in cooking or baking?

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.