CLOSED: Bug ID?

Burleson, TX(Zone 8a)

I was told that there are wonderful people in this forum that would be more than happy to ID a bug for me. :) These were on my dad's purple hyacinth bean vine. They were in small groups, but when my mom sprayed them with some garlic pepper they ran to one leaf and we pulled them off. Any idea what they are??

Thumbnail by konkreteblond
Sand Springs, OK(Zone 7a)

ugly bug ? well thats what i call them all .Bugs scare me

Burleson, TX(Zone 8a)

LOL...I guess bugs used to give me the creeps until I started gardening. These were actually really pretty. Very decorative little shells. No creepy shaped body parts on them.

Santa Ana, CA(Zone 9b)

Yeah, I was thinking they would make good beads for a necklace !

They are shaped like Coccinellidae (lady beetles) but I couldn't find any with that pretty coloration. Are they really half-an-inch long, or do you just have a good camera/macro?

~'spin!~

Gordonville, TX(Zone 7b)

You are right konkrete! They will soon be id'ed! Hang in there

San Antonio, TX(Zone 8b)

Does this leaf beetle look like your cute beetles?

http://www.lazygecko.net/fod.asp?fodid=13718

Burleson, TX(Zone 8a)

That picture is extremely close up, but I do think it's the same thing. What they appeared to be doing was biting off the hyacinth bean pods because they were laying down on the ground. Thanks for the ID! I'll pass it along to my dad.

Greensburg, IN(Zone 6a)

it looks a lot like the japanese beatle, they have a flourecent (spelling)look to them they eat everything in sight, they have ruined a lot of plants and fruit

Fort Worth, TX(Zone 7b)

Great, now I need to go check my HB's and see if these little creatures are eating on them.... thanks for the heads up!

mel

htop... when do you sleep? I have seen such wonderful pix from you. Do you have a site with YOUR garden pix? Keep up the good work!

San Antonio, TX(Zone 8b)

Mel, I have never required much sleep for some reason. A lot of times my big old dog wakes me up in the middle of the night when he sees and/or hears something in the yard. Then, I am unable to go back to sleep. Other nights, I just plain become obsessed and my brain will not shutdown. Thanks for your comments about my photos. I do not have a webpage dedicated to my garden plants. I do have one soley related to education. I will one day revise it and turn it into a more personal site.I need to start on that soon because I haven't updated it for a long time.

Burleson, TX(Zone 8a)

Since I'm so new, I've not seen any of these great pics you are talking about, but would like to. Might I suggest Webshots?

San Antonio, TX(Zone 8b)

konkreteblond, thanks for the suggestion. All of the photos that I have added to the PDB may be viewed here:

http://davesgarden.com/pdb/imagesbyuser.php?user=htop

This message was edited Oct 31, 2004 11:21 PM

Burleson, TX(Zone 8a)

OMG, you have over 20 pages yourself! Thanks for the link! That gives me something else to do this winter. lol

TUCSON, AZ(Zone 9a)

htop, what wonderful pictures!! are they all in your yard? if so you have a big yard!! Binky :)))0

San Antonio, TX(Zone 8b)

konkreteblond, this winter I will be adding ratings and comments to a lot of the plant entries upon which I have not commented which will keep me busy. Many I have grown at one time or another. I have attempted to include many native Texas plants to the PDB which if I had been more wise when I first started landscaping my yard I would have used more extensively.

binky, thanks. Unfortunatey my yard is rather small by most standards, Although I do grow many types of plants, I wish that I had more space so that I could add a lot of the wonderful plants I have photographed.

Gordonville, TX(Zone 7b)

When are these bugs gonna get id'ed? I promised konkrete that it wouldn't take long.

Celaya, Mexico(Zone 10a)

Sorry, but no idea on which beetle this one is, though this one is way to colorful for a japanese beetle IMHO.
I would highly recommend to go to the local extension office and ask them about this beetle and post the results here.

Milan

Seattle, WA(Zone 8b)

I have exhausted all of my reference sites....no luck :-(

Gordonville, TX(Zone 7b)

Bummer!

Churchill, Victoria, Australia(Zone 10a)

I looked at this thread early on and decided it was too hard to solve. I have now received a request from imway2dumb to provide some help and I finally took up the challenge.
I first made the assumption that this was a beetle rather than a bug, but on closer reflection it is clear that these are not an adult winged form and therefore cannot be a beetle. The true bugs, the Hemiptera have young that pass through a number of stages (usually 5) before reaching adulthood and each stage (instar) is similar to a poorly developed unwinged adult. Your bugs look likely to be a fairly late instar, possibly just before becoming winged adults.
I did a lot of net searching for Hemiptera and decided that they were almost certainly one of the Stink Bugs, in the family Pentatomidae. I couldn't find anything that was a close match until I tried guessing that with green juveniles, the adults would also be green and I searched for a green stink bug. I first found the Green Stink Bug Acrosternum hilare. Here is the adult bug:
http://www.ent.iastate.edu/imagegal/hemiptera/stinkbug/greenstinkbug.html
and here is its juvenile http://www.ent.iastate.edu/imagegal/hemiptera/stinkbug/green_stink_bug_nymph.html
Not the same as yours, but near enough to suggest I am on the right track.
Next I found that there is a Southern Green Stink Bug Nezara viridula, here is an adult http://creatures.ifas.ufl.edu/veg/bean/southern_green_stink_bug_adult.htm
and a juvenile http://insects.tamu.edu/images/insects/common/images/a-txt/aimg74.html
By the way, both Green Stink Bugs are pests especially in Soy Bean crops.
http://creatures.ifas.ufl.edu/veg/bean/southern_green_stink_bug.htm
That seemed even closer, so I tried searching for the genus Nezara to see if there was another similar species and I found the Far Eastern Green Stink Bug Nezara antennata. This species seems to be one from Asia, Korea and Japan. I didn't find a clear adult picture, although the adult is very similar to Nezara viridula, but here is a good p[icture of the juveniles:
http://www.animalpicturesarchive.com/animal/ViewImg.cgi?img=a4/KoreanInsect-Far_Eastern_Green_Stink_Bug_J02-2nd_molted_caterpillars.jpg
and this one does seem to match yours very closely indeed. I don't know whether Nezara antennata is also found in Texas, but if it isn't it yours must be a very close cousin!
Ken

Gordonville, TX(Zone 7b)

:-)

Santa Ana, CA(Zone 9b)

Wow, you are a wonder Kennedy! I woulda sworn that was indeed a beetle sim. to Coccinellidae, with wings just folded that's all. I fail to be able to "closer inspect" and see NO WINGS. How do you see the absence of something???

I am so impressed!

Well, hey, I noticed that the TAMU pic was 5th instar, but the Korean one was "2nd-molted" -- I learned earlier this year about instars in the swallowtail caterpillars, that they can look pretty different by the time 2-3 steps take place. So I found this site:
http://www.uaex.edu/Other_Areas/publications/HTML/FSA-7058.asp

Scroll down to Figure 5 (in poor black-n-mint-green reproduction) and squint at the one in the middle, which I count to be instar FOUR... and I think Figure 6 is mislabelled, that it is 3rd and 5th instar... and that konkrete's are the 4th of just the regular Southern Green Stink Bug, Nezara viridula -- although heaven knows, it could be an early invasion of an Asian pest!

BTW, I figure the Korean stinkbug pic is also 4th instar... if you start counting when they start feeding (instar 2, per your third link), two moults later is 4th.

It was sure your detective work that led me to make this little contribution, though, I take none of your limelight!
~'spin!~

Great work ~'spin!~, I think you have completed the story nicely. I agree that konkreteblond's bugs are the 4th instar of the Southern Green Stink Bug Nezara viridula. That makes much more sense than that the Far Eastern Green Stink Bug was invading the US! I did not find any early instar pictures in my search.

Burleson, TX(Zone 8a)

WOW! I thought this was solved and they were leaf beetles! I didn't expect you to work this hard on it! But Ken, sitting right along with these were green stink bugs. There was no little country flag with them, so I'm not sure exactly which ones they were. I'm thoroughly impressed with y'all!

That is interesting, you quite often find with the bugs that the adults and various younger instars are all present together. Pity you didn't include a picture of the Green Stink Bugs, we might have come to the right answer a bit quicker LOL.

Burleson, TX(Zone 8a)

Yes, but you probably wouldn't have had anything else to do if not for this. ;) I forgot all about them being together. My dad wasn't worried about the stink bugs, just these. I didn't know that stink bugs would hurt a plant. I wonder if they were actually doing some type of damage to the pods? It was like they were biting them off of the stalk because they were laying on the ground. Thanks for all the help!

San Antonio, TX(Zone 8b)

I guess whomever placed the identification on the photo to which I posted a link didn't know what they were either! No wonder I could not find another photo of a "leaf beetle" that looked like that after searching most of the day. I figured it was a leaf beetle at some stage of devlopment ... sorry for the misidentification! :o( I was so excited about finding the photo after searcing all day that I posted it without further verification which I usually don't do. I suppose that I should notify BobyDee that his/her labelling is incorrect.

Green stink bugs feed on the fruit of beans, beets, beans, corn, okra, peas, peaches, pears, squash, tomatoes, and others. They puncture the fruit to obtain sap causing irregular surfaces and internal spots on the fruit by depositing bacteria and fungi. The stink bug causes sunken areas or pits which look like shallow, water-soaked depressions. Stink bugs suck the juices from immature soybean seeds which causes the pods to drop. They may also damage ornamental plants.They usually go after the reproductive parts so maybe they were feeding on the pods. I had some sucking on my hibiscus plant leaves last year which I had never seen them do before.

This message was edited Nov 2, 2004 12:00 AM

Gordonville, TX(Zone 7b)

See what I mean, konkrete? They are especially good when working together.

John

Burleson, TX(Zone 8a)

Again, thoroughly impressed! This is the reason I feel no guilt about asking questions. I had no idea that stink bugs did that. Ummm...should I admit I just thought they stunk? LOL

John, I love your screen name! I've just been here a few days and that was one of the first I saw. Cracked me up!

This message was edited Nov 2, 2004 8:36 AM

Moab, UT(Zone 6b)

I have just read this whole thread and for the first time I know what causes the funny blemishes on my peaches.

I always figured they were up to no good just didn't know what.
Aren't our searchers of info amazing! down to 2nd and 4th instar (whatever that means) - actually I expect it's steps in their growth from babe to adult.

Konkreteblond, your handle is rather innovative too. Does it indicate a state of mind or a backyard art/hobby? lotsa folks here work with concrete. Welcome to the Garden - greatest place on the web. ~Blooms

Burleson, TX(Zone 8a)

Blooms, I noticed your name too, and love it! I am so not creative. Mine is basically a state of mind. When I learned I was a "concrete-sequential" type learner, I was so happy to know that other people were like me! LOL I love details and information. Gardening has involved not only my hands and eyes, but also my mind in a lot of reading, studying, and learning. If I could have only been this interested in school!

Moab, UT(Zone 6b)

Details and information! you just landed in the chocolate girl !! Yur surrounded by people who know how to and have the knowledge to chase all those details. Expect we'll see a bit of you here hunh?

Mostly I lurk, sometimes I guess at an id when it looks soooo familiar just for the fun. Frequently I post a photo with a wrong id attached and these folks are so kind when they give me the right names.
And I promise I try to remember this stuff. And I am truly interested.

Gordonville, TX(Zone 7b)

One of the things I like best about DG is that it is so safe to ask a "dumb" question! Here, the only dumb question is the one not asked.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.