Callicarpa americana propagation?

Burns, TN(Zone 6b)

I was just given cuttings from beautyberry shrub. They appear to be hard to semi-ripe wood, no foliage, and with berries clinging.

How do I propagate these this time of year?

Are the berries viable for seed?

Will they root in water, or should I try an hormone dip into perlite mix with the stems? Or treat them more as hard wood cuttings?

Should I go ahead and remove the berries while trying to root it?

Any help would be much appreciated!! cmd

San Antonio, TX(Zone 8b)

I've never grown beautyberry, but two references I checked (Hortus Third and Sunset National Gardening) said they can be propagated by cuttings, layering or from seed. Since the cuttings seem to be woody, I think I would try cutting a slit in the end of the stem and inserting a grain of rice or wheat to keep it open, then dipping into rooting hormone and planting in perlite, covering with a plastic bag to maintain even moisture. If you have several of the cuttings, you might try one or two in water. If the berries are dry they may already be viable. I think I would remove the berries, as they might fall off at some point anyway. Let us know how these turn out. Yuska

Lexington, VA(Zone 6a)

Callicarpas are very easy to start from seed. Just 'squish' the berry, remove the seed and plant!

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.