Which Lily division did you plant the most of this Fall?

Lenexa, KS(Zone 6a)

I'm curious how everyone spent their Lily dollars this Fall.

In typical fashion I bought more Asiatics than any other division and was pretty equally split on the others. I just checked on my ordering this Fall and here's how it shook out:

Asiatics 22 varieties
Orientals 7
LA hybrid 5
Orienpet 5
species 5
Trumpet 3

For a total of 47 new varieties this year! I did pretty good although I remember telling myself I wanted to add a lot more Orientals and I apparentlyl didn't get, but they took 2nd. I think the issue I have with Orientals is that they are in pink and white shades and predominantly with a few reds; and I like a bit more variety in colors. Asiatics provide such a wide variety of choices!

What did you get this year?

Norwood, MO(Zone 6a)

I hope to do better next year. I am just getting started.

6 stargazer lily
5 lavendar joy
6 dwarf mona lisa

and I am drooling over an orienpet called 'silk road' on ebay:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=4330728931

I hope to get one of them when she relists it.

Starr

Lincoln, NE(Zone 5b)

Why wait?? Go here and get it now! http://www.thelilygarden.com/index.html

For new this year, I have -

Asiatics - 7
Oriental - 1
Trumpet - 2
LA - 2
OT - 2 (one is Silk Road)

Now if we could just get all of the colors of the Asiatics with the scent of Orientals, I would have them ALL!

This message was edited Oct 27, 2004 2:11 AM

Norwood, MO(Zone 6a)

Thanks Moby,

I have taken your advice... One silk road coming to live at Starr's place... :)) (you are not a very good influence on me... lol... but I love it... keep up the good work)...

BTW, the Dwarf Mona Lisa are trying to bloom!! Isn't this the wrong time of year for them to bloom? They have several buds and look like they will open any day now...

Lincoln, NE(Zone 5b)

Good for you! Always happy to give you a fresh dose of pain in your pocketbook, too.

When did you plant your Mona Lisa's?

Lenexa, KS(Zone 6a)

Starr -- Must be our Midwest weather! I planted all my lily bulbs over the last 2 weekends and I have a dwarf coming up through the ground. No buds, but there is about 1-1/2 to 2" of foliage above ground!

If I were you I think I'd break off those buds but leave the foliage in place. When it dies back naturally from the cold we are close to getting then just remove the dead foliage. The foliage feeds the bulb so now that yours (and mine) has expended energy to grow a stalk/foliage I think we need to let it feed the bulb and hope for blooms next year. You don't want the bloom sucking more energy from the bulb so that's why I recommend removing the buds.

Be aware that it is possible those bulbs won't bloom next season as Asiatics are usually the first to bloom in June. They should be fine long term though.

Norwood, MO(Zone 6a)

I planted them about 3 weeks ago. The bulbs arrived with "sprouts" and they just took off. I hate to debud them (translated: aw, shucks), but I guess I should. I didn't realize it might harm the bulbs to let them flower. I guess the same thing applies to the stargazer lilies, too...

Thank you for letting me know!! I have so much to learn...

Lincoln, NE(Zone 5b)

Starr, if I had just planted a lily and got buds this time of year, I don't think I'd know what to do either! We're all still learning.

If you're really bummed about pinching all your buds, I suppose you could leave just the lowest, most mature one...

(Sue) South Central, IA(Zone 5a)

Think I went just a little crazy this year. I just can't say no to a lily! Looks like I ended up with 52 new cultivars this fall.

28 asiatics
3 orientals
10 L.A. hybrids
1 L.O. hybrid
1 O.A. hybrid
1 species
2 trumpet and
6 orienpets (OT)

You will all be pleased to know that I did spread this addiction around when I dug and divided lilies this year. ( Does that make up for overspending?)

Lincoln, NE(Zone 5b)

Of course it does, dear!

Lenexa, KS(Zone 6a)

Susan - I'm just thrilled to know that there are a few of you out there buying MORE than me! LOL. I'm also guessing that Maxine bought at least as many or more just from some Coop's and order-sharing I did with her this year.

Do you think I'm right telling Starr to remove the buds on her preemies?

Lincoln, NE(Zone 5b)

Not sure if I know the correct thing to do, but it shouldn't be blooming this time of year. I think it's best to help it go through it's natural cycle, even if that means shortening it's bloom time. That way not too much energy is spent on blooms and then it can get busy with it's 'end of year' process.

Willits, CA(Zone 8a)

I can see that I am way behind......

I only bought:
3 Orienpets
1 Oriental
1 Trumpet
4 Asiatics.

Well, there's always next year...
When's the next co-op?

Lincoln, NE(Zone 5b)

That's OK Beckster. You're not behind, you're just starting to catch up!

I have to agree with removing the flower buds. You need the plant to direct energy to getting established for the winter and feeding the bulb, not depleting the bulb further by making flowers.

Norwood, MO(Zone 6a)

That was a very hard thing to do. I just got started this year and have been drooling over all of your pics and when these started to bloom I was so excited that I would have a picture to share!! (Other than naked beds to be and an overgrown kennel )... LOL at self... I pinched off all the buds except two on the largest plant. 10 buds gone by by... sigh... I will go pinch the other two off tomorrow... I ran out of strength and couldn't finish the job today... still laughing at self... I have made a lot of progress this year, though, and hopefully next spring will have some decent pictures to share with you...

I got a bit carried away on ebay last night. It is all Moby's fault, too!!! I had such a good time when I splurged and got the silk road that I just kept right on going.... add to my list:

25 daylily seeds (mixed)
10 daylily (they pick)
1 silk road
10 iris (tiger eye)

:)) are we having fun yet? ... I am!

Lincoln, NE(Zone 5b)

guilty, guilty.... snicker

Norwood, MO(Zone 6a)

I know what it is, Moby, you are either so generous that you don't want to have all the fun by yourself, OR you don't want to be the only one having guilt feelings because the money to fix the plumbing was spent on more plants... LOL...

Western, WI(Zone 4a)

Following are the lily bulbs that I purchased this fall with 2 more orders coming in.
Asiatic's-17 fall----spring-7
orientals-15 fall----spring-18
Orienpets-9 fall----spring-5
Trumpets-4 fall----spring -14
LA-----17 fall-------spring-8
Species-6 fall

I am going to have get a full time job to pay for my affliction, instead of being retired!!
I lost over 200 bulbs in our winter of 2002 so am trying to replace them.

Maxine

Lenexa, KS(Zone 6a)

I *knew* Maxine would beat us all!!!

Maxine - that's terrible to lose plants to a hard winter. I couldn't even imagine losing that many. I would be heartbroken - it would be like losing old friends.

Lenexa, KS(Zone 6a)

Starr - you done good! It is hard, but for the best. Tough love we call it.

Just a message of hope for you Starr. I planted a couple of lilies that were growing in the bag and already had small flower buds, I planted the bulbs as deep as I dared leaving the buds exposed, as soon as it showed some growth I removed the buds.

It WAS hard not to see those flowers the first year, but by doing this the next year there were 3 stalks and 10 flowers on each of them! It really was worth it.

I also planted 3 tiger babies from the spring lily co-op one of them broke ground and started putting out buds, I removed them. The other two at least waited til they were about 5 inches tall before they put out buds. We'll see next spring what the effect was on them.

Norwood, MO(Zone 6a)

Thanks Langbr and Lilyfan, I took off the other two buds this morning... I know it sounds silly, but I felt like I should have a wake for my poor dead buds... (still laughing at self) ...

Winnipeg, MB(Zone 2b)

I planted about 200 asiatics. That is really cheating though. Didn't buy them all, moved a couple of lily beds 60 miles or so. Had to dig them up in glue a,d replant in glue and rain. Planted the last 30 or so at Echoes.

We are having NALS convention here 2005 and we the members have to supply 1000 stems. So lots of cutting and not too much seed next year I guess. Our convention chairman really bullies us you know.

Ginny

Lenexa, KS(Zone 6a)

Wow 1000 stems!! How many members are there?

When you say, "had to dig them up in glue a, d replant in glue and rain" What do you mean by that? Do you mean glue as in paste? I'm confused. Please help me understand.

Western, WI(Zone 4a)

Imagine she means red clay, Brenda.

It was that way on our farm, when it rained it stuck to your feet, shovel, what ever!! You sure didn't wish to dig in the dirt then.

Maxine

Lenexa, KS(Zone 6a)

Ahhhhh! That makes sense!! I did a bit of that today myself 'cept mine's not red it's gray!

Mooresville, NC(Zone 7a)

I finally tallied up my list -

Asiatic - 12
Oriental - 9
Orienpets - 5

Doesn't seem like much after all that digging. I did buy between 3-5 of each, and it doesn't count what I bought in Brenda's Spring co-op.

Lenexa, KS(Zone 6a)

I agree Heather. I haven't dared total the number of lily bulbs or all bulbs I've planted. I don't want to know. Those bulb augers are great though!

Mooresville, NC(Zone 7a)

I am embarrassed to tell you that I have drilled my way through my first bulb auger. The part that the drill clamps down on has been worn down to a nub. So I marched back to Lowe's and bought two more.

On the bright side, I believe I am well on my way to becoming established as the "crazy garden lady" of my new neighborhood. When they see me out there drilling at all hours, they just shake their heads and walk by.

Lenexa, KS(Zone 6a)

I'm afraid I'm near the point of needing to go get another, but I'm trying to hold out until Spring. lol I've got just the few (30 or so) from Alice's coop to finish planting.

Lincoln, NE(Zone 5b)

I would like to know what it's like to wear one out. I recently asked my DH if he knew about bulb augers -- he says "Oh yeah, I've seen them..." !!! And he didn't tell me? Or buy one?? Man, that's almost grounds for divorce!

Good job, Ivory. Maybe you too can join the CLC. (Crazy Lady Club)

Norwood, MO(Zone 6a)

What is a bulb auger? Is it a tool attaches to a drill? Or is the whole thing one unit?

Willamette Valley, OR(Zone 8a)

I think it attaches to a drill.

Norwood, MO(Zone 6a)

I could probably find one to look at on the Lowes web site... I will have to go check it out...

Lenexa, KS(Zone 6a)

http://www.dutchbulbs.com/spring/z32874.22827.html

Here ya go Starr. You've got the idea. You can get them MUCH cheaper than this place has them. I got mine at a local Ace Hardware store when Home Depot said they were out.

Norwood, MO(Zone 6a)

WOW...that is nifty! one more thing on my must have list... lol.... Thank you very much, Brenda!!

Mooresville, NC(Zone 7a)

They're really great. It's like a huge drill bit. You just point it down and drill away. It's amazing how fast you can make large numbers of holes. My biggest challenge is getting my extension cord to reach the far parts of my yard. I'm already on my second cord and will need a third to make it to the road.

Mooresville, NC(Zone 7a)

I think I paid $19 each for the ones I bought at Lowe's.

Norwood, MO(Zone 6a)

note to starr: ask santa for a bulb auger...

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.