heirloom tomatoe seeds

Cle Elum, WA(Zone 5b)

i bought heirloom tomatoe plants this year and would like to save seeds for next year. does anyone know how i do it?
the plants are [that's were after last night's first frost] amish paste, stupic and russian krim.

Benton, KY(Zone 7a)

Tomato seeds need to be fermented to take the gel coating off the seeds. It gets rid of a germination inhibitor and some soil borne pathenogens.

It's no big deal and I'd advise doing it.

The simple version (it's been discussed at length here at DG) is to squeeze the contents of several tomatoes onto a container. Let it sit for about 5 days...no stirring. It fill form a nasty looking mat of goop on the top of the contents. At the end of the time, pour off the goop and rinse your seeds in a sieve. Let dry for a few weeks before storing.

There is a search box at the top of this page. Type in 'fermentation' and tons of info will come up. Our own Carolyn Male (author of 100 Heirloom Tomatoes for the American Garden) has written a detailed set of instructions that are very informational.

Cle Elum, WA(Zone 5b)

wow, thanks melody. i had no clue about the fermentation process. this site is sooooooo
cool.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.