Ohio Beefsteak?

Madison, WI(Zone 4a)

The love of growing things, especially tomatoes, was inspired by my Grandparents who were wonderful gardeners. My Grandfather had a favorite, a beefsteak, but I do not know the name. They both have passed on unfortunately so I can't ask them. They lived in Ohio for their entire lives. Anyone out there know of a beefsteak that may be commonly grown in Ohio. It is a stretch, but I know the plant suppliers around here often have the same varities year after year. Any ideas would be greatly appreciated! Thanks!

Benton, KY(Zone 7a)

With literally_thousands _ of tomato varieties out there,we're gonna have to narrow the search down some.
first...what color was the tomato? There are your basic reds,there are yellow/gold ones,dark pinks(these are more of a true red instead of the orangey red most people are used to)there are the purples..they are deep red to a chocolatey maroon.You've got bi-colors that are usually dark gold with red streaks.

The foliage would be a helpful clue if you remember anything about it.Some tomatoes have what is called 'potato leaf' and others are known as'regular leaf'.

Did your grandparents buy the plants already started,or start them from saved seeds?That would help us decide if it were a hybrid or an open pollinated selection.
Do a little checking around and see if another family member or a neighbor might be able to give you some clues
I posted a picture in the identification forum a little while back titled Tomato 101 that shows the diversity in foliage.you may want to check it out.

If you can come up with any clues at all,we can eliminate the ones that it can't be.We may never know exactly what they grew,but we should be able to get you close enough to grow something similar.

Madison, WI(Zone 4a)

Hi Melody,
It was a red beefsteak, and because I was very young, I just remember the taste, and being in awe of all that they grew, not a lot of other details. He would have bought it as a plant, and it was probably a basic one that was widely sold in the 50's to the 70's. Brook thought that it would most likely be Big Boy, given the above factors. Thanks for your imput! It is so much fun to try and figure this out, especially with very little information!! Amy.

Benton, KY(Zone 7a)

Big Boy was my first thought too.Especially since it was a commercial seedling.They are very tasty and great all around tomatoes.You just can't save the seeds as they are a hybrid plant,but Brook probably filled you in about that.They are widely available and pretty much a common tomato in the mid west.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.