Seed Gathering after Frost

Medicine Hat, AB(Zone 3a)

Hey! All!
Newbie question here: Can you still gather viable seed after a few hard frosts and a few skiffs of snow? It hasn't dropped any colder than 7C. so far. (sorry don't know what that is in farenheit). I have lots of stuff out there but only thought of seed gathering after finding this fab site. So far I have some poppy seeds, asiatic lily "Cancun" x unknown red asiatic, & some daybreak gallardia (if there are even seeds in those dryed heads, not sure). Can I cast poppy seeds now and would they come up in spring?
Thanks,
Brenda

Thumbnail by Songbird839
Milton, VT(Zone 4a)

Im not sure I can answer any of your questions, but I am hoping that you might be able to answer one of mine!!

What is that yellow/white flower?

Thanks

I don't know. I was going to show that pix in the identification forum. I planted a seed mix called old-fashioned flower mix and it came up. I really liked it though and it tolerated a lot of frost before it finally had the biscuit. It was also a good cut flower. I think I'll have to go out and just start gathering seeds and figure out what's good after. I was also wandering, which seeds need to be kept in the fridge? Like maybe the poppies and lily seed needs to go in. I know daylily seed does.
Here's a better pix of the yellow/white flower.

Thumbnail by Songbird839
Brandon, MS(Zone 8a)

I'm almost 100% sure you can broadcast the poppy seeds and they will come up in spring - that's what they would do if they were dropped by mother nature. I have no idea on frost and gathering seeds, I'm afraid.
Natasha

Seward, AK(Zone 3b)

Songbird, you do not have your city and state listed, but if you have a short season, the poppies will come up late and bloom late. If you have a good long summer, direct sowing in the fall will probably be OK. Most seeds are fine to harvest after a hard freeze, if you are growing plants that don't mind winter temps. Soft seed that must dry may not do well... such as nasturtium.

Sand Springs, OK(Zone 7a)

A old gardener at Rose garden in Tulsa said the best way to plant Poppy's and flowers with fine seed is to sow on top of first snow. when it melts it pulls then down to just right depth.Most seeds are not hurt by frost if fully ripe that just stratifies them and there ready to plant.

I keep putting my location up in my preferences but the next day it disappears again. After I do it. I check my info page and it's there and I write on the forum and it's there but the next day it's gone. In fact, my last reply on this forum showed it when I left and now it's missing. I am Canadian, so I leave the state blank. What am I doing wrong?
Back to the seeds, I like your suggestion Tazzy, of putting them over the snow. I could have done that already, as we've had a few skiffs come and go already. My Oriental poppies seem to be growing still, and I have the odd Johnny-Jump-Up and pansy still blooming so you can safely say those are pretty cold tolerant! I mean were talking below freezing temperatures here. Mother Nature never ceases to amaze me!
So, the basic stategy for seed gathering then, is to dry them out and then stratify them in the fridge?

I did the location thing again and remembered that the provinces are in the drop down list under the states. I've done it both ways before however with no luck. Hope it sticks this time!

Seward, AK(Zone 3b)

Looks like it worked, Songbird! The soil warms up enough for germination outdoors in late May or early June. The season is over by September. That's why I start mine indoors. Otherwise, they'd be trying to bloom in August. Volunteer somniferums come up in my beds from time to time, but they never get very big. They bloom but even the blooms are small. Still, I might try the seed on the snow thing... that makes sense.

Kayaker, I found out the identity of the yellow/white flowers. They are Tidy Tips. I have lots of seed to trade of it, too, if you are interested.

Seattle, WA(Zone 8b)

Very Cool!

http://aggie-horticulture.tamu.edu/wildseed/40/40.4.html

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.