Seed envelopes or plastic small zip bags??

Bryson, QC(Zone 4a)

Could someone please tell me where I could obtain these small envelopes and or small plastic zip bags for seeds.
Thank-You Ingrid

Bryson, QC(Zone 4a)

sequee, Thank-you- I should of thought of those places.
Thanks, again Ingrid

Melvindale, MI(Zone 5a)

There are some links to companies selling these on the Seed Trading forum under "what is wrong with plastic"

Bryson, QC(Zone 4a)

hemlady, thank-you for the information.
Blessings, Ingrid

Carlisle, PA(Zone 6b)

Fet Pak sells all kinds of seed packets. www.fetpak.com

Frederick, MD(Zone 6b)

I just got some more little plastic zip bags at Staples, 100 for $2.50 and then went across the way and discovered that Michael's (the craft store) had them for $1.50. The ones at Staples had an opaque white area across the front for writing, if that makes a difference to anyone.

Pocola, OK(Zone 7a)

Walmart has 100 for something like $.94, 2x3" size, clear.

Frederick, MD(Zone 6b)

OK, next time I definitely go to Walmart!
That's what can happen when you're a newbie...

Thanks!

Pocola, OK(Zone 7a)

:-) We've all done it. Who would think to go to Walmart? The first thing I thought of was craft stores when I was new. At Walmart, they are in the craft section.

Deltona, FL(Zone 9a)

Stores that sell stamp collecting stuff have the best envelopes (glassine) If you love your seeds that is the way to go. Plastic in a pinch,but not long term. Cost is about 2-3 cents a bag... cinnabor

Winnipeg,, MB(Zone 3a)

you can make your own little seeds envelopes, with wrapping paper, that is what I was doing last week, I just found a tempplate on the web..

Cochrane, ON(Zone 2b)

I like the coin envelopes. Seeds don't get stuck inside them.

MIddletown, OH(Zone 6a)

If you go into the Extras section of Dave's Garden you will find the link at the bottom of the page to find and print out your own seed envelopes. There is a good variety and easy to cut out and glue together.

Bellaire, MI(Zone 5a)

I have been thinking about using the wax paper in the cereal boxes. Has any body tried that?

Pocola, OK(Zone 7a)

I haven't, but I don't see why it wouldn't work. Go for it. :-)

Frederick, MD(Zone 6b)

A note about using waxed paper or other DIY envelopes.... No reason why they wouldn't work just fine, but please cut them out with flaps to fold over and glue/tape down, don't just seal the edges with scotch tape. I mention this because one person who sent me seeds put them in little waxed paper packets that were folded in half and taped around the edges, and the smaller seeds in particular have a real tendency to end up stuck to the tape all along the edges. I'm hoping the sticky on the tape didn't do anything bad to the seeds (seems unlikely), but it was just a pain to try to pick the little seeds off the pieces of tape.....

On a similar note, sometimes the little glassine envelopes aren't sealed in all their corners and need a little extra tape to ensure that tiny seeds don't work their way out of the envelopes to be lost in the obscurity & confusion of the bottom of my seed box.... Other than that, I think the glassine envelopes work fine. Personally, mostly I've been using the little ziploc plastic bags (I haven't kept seeds more than a year or two, so I'm not concerned with the long term storage issues of plastic).

Winnipeg, MB(Zone 2b)

Ingrid,

I get all mine from a bead store - ta ta - at the Market place in where ---- Victoria. We are sure to go there. Gardenworks is just there too - or at least very near.
Inanda

somewhere, PA

Make sure your seeds are really dry &/or that you're
only going to keep them a few months if you use
plastic bags. I've had seeds rot (probably more cause
I didn't get them dry enough first).

mobile, AL(Zone 8a)

Hello:
I just bougt a buch of 10 cent seeds at walmart and my question is, once I open the packet should they go into a plastic container and into the fridge or can I leave them in the same package and just place some tape on the flap to close it tight and place it in the fridge.
And also how long will they last?

Any input would be appreciated.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.