A wonderous transformation!

Brewers, KY(Zone 6b)

I have been keeping a box of caterpillars well feed and pampered for weeks.(Many I rescued in the big flood we had, some I had before the flood.) I have many different kinds of 'pillars in my box. As they turn from 'pillar to cocoons, I move them into a different "nursery". I have about 13cocoons I've been watching. This morning some wonderous happened! One of my Swallowtails emerged! What a grand entrance it was! I watched as it struggled to get her wings working. He/she fluttered her wings ever so carefully! They are now almost unfolded and he/she is ready to be released! I am so excited and so is my little 3 year old!What a great lesson she was able to learn!I am so happy because I will get to go through this for at least 20 more times!!I have a whole box full!!! Yippie! Isn't nature great!

Fayette, MO(Zone 6a)

Did you take any pics to post? What kind of swallowtail? I have had many tiger swallowtails here this year and have left them lots of red clover to flit about. I will certainly be interested in each and everyone as they emerge. Anyone have any zebra swallowtails this year?. I haven't seen any.

Richmond Hill, GA(Zone 8b)

How wonderful, Lisa!

Brewers, KY(Zone 6b)

KJO, I did take some pics. I wish I had a digital cam. but I only have 35 mm. I don't have any special lense yet for the camera, so I don't know how good the picture will come out. The butterfly was a Black Swallowtail. I have a great little book I picked up called "How to Attract Hummingbirds and Butterflies" It is by "Ortho Books".(i bought it at Lowe's) It is a real good guide for butterfly & hummer gardening. In the butterfly section it gives a breakdown on what the larvae eats and what plants the moms like to lay their eggs on. It is a good book for anyone interested in butterfly/hummer gardening. I just can't wait to see all of my 'pillers hatch! Lisa

Troy, VA(Zone 7a)

Sharing in your excitement Lisa :-) There's a moth resting on a window - lots of pink - looks like pink wings. Any ideas what it might be?

Deep South Coastal, TX(Zone 10a)

Louisa
Rosy-Maple Moth?
KathyJo
I've seen only 2 Zebra Swallowtails this year, though we don't get that many of them here.
Calalily

Troy, VA(Zone 7a)

Hmmm!! Rosy maple moth?? Does it feed on maples then?

Brewers, KY(Zone 6b)

http://davesgarden.com/showthread/54095.html this is the photo of my 'babies'..lol

Fayette, MO(Zone 6a)

I did finally see a zebra swallowtail yesterday!

Brewers, KY(Zone 6b)

oh boy! are zebras the same as the tiger? I looked in my book and didn't see any zebras for my area.

Deep South Coastal, TX(Zone 10a)

Zebras are different from tigers. Zebras are black and white, tigers are yellow and black. The rosy maple moth does feed on maples, but usually there aren't enough of them to do any damage. They are beautiful moths, and the caterpillars are cute. Even if they strip a tree, which is rare, it will recover.
Cala

Oh Lisa,you're soooo lucky,love the butterflies too''I do what the books say,have the one you mentioned too' I divided my budleia(butterfly bush) this spring and made 4 from it' It's the Il de France,deep purple flowers.Ordered one called Honey Comb(yellow) and hoping it makes it,they love the heat and dry conditions' Like a lilac does' Once I found a quite large moth that was a bright lime green,just beautiful. Haven't found what it is called,does anyone happen to know??? Sis''

Nichols, IA(Zone 5a)

Hey, Lisa! I have six rue plants in my herb garden just for the swallowtails. They eat them practically to the ground...18-24" shrubs! Covered in larvae from early spring to fall. You should try some, much more attractive than parsley ;-) Happy to send you seeds!

Brewers, KY(Zone 6b)

Sis, i wish i could help you! I dont recognize the moth.:( Alison, let me check...i think rue does not grow well here...I will let you know. Thank you so much for your kind offer! Lisa

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.