What's going on with these pear trees

Judsonia, AR(Zone 7b)

There's 6 of them, and it started with this one, worked it's way to the second one, and now it's on the third one, just a few of the limbs on the third one. See the first tree before this one, it's small, and just covered with dead leaves. so's the second one

kathy

Thumbnail by kathy_ann
Augusta, GA(Zone 8a)

Looks like Fire blight.

http://www.ipm.ucdavis.edu/PMG/PESTNOTES/pn7414.html

Judsonia, AR(Zone 7b)

So basically I have to cut off the dead right? that's what it says to do, and most of these two trees are completely dead on all branches. I think we're going to cut them down completely. and just work on saving the other 4 pear trees.

I know they have fire blight spray, I've seen it. will that help too if I cut it back where the dead leaves and limbs are, the first two were severely bad, but the 3rd one only had one or two limbs bad on it.

I read it's possible that they can get fireblight from major pruning, Hum, we pruned the heck out of those trees this spring.

kathy

thanks for the hel p farmer dill

Augusta, GA(Zone 8a)

I haven't had any luck controlling fireblight once it gets a good hold. The sprays will help in the early spring when when it first shows up. I lost a pair of asian pears a couple of years ago. There are resistant cultivars. Kieffers, for example, are rarely bothered.

Bay City, MI(Zone 6a)

wow that is bad!!! I agree the trees are done for!

Santa Clara, CA(Zone 9a)

We lost our asian pear also this year. We were cutting it back every year and this year the main branches all got it. It seems hard to keep on top of, you need to cut as soon as you see any damage and we're not very good at this.

Judsonia, AR(Zone 7b)

these trees were all here when we moved here 7 years ago, those two little trees were always that size, never did do any good, and never had a problem like this before, this past year, seems it all happened at once.

kathy

Modesto, CA(Zone 8b)

Fireblight travels into the limbs through the flowers, and is spread by raindrops or moisture. It kills the limbs from the tips down to the trunk, and not unlike mistletoe, is farther down inside the limb (toward the trunk) than you think. Here, we are told to cut the limbs 24-30" closer to the tree trunk from where the damage appears. Shears must be cleaned between cuts with a bleach soluton to keep from spreading it to healthy parts of the tree. In order for this to work it must be caught fairly early, sorry but it looks too late for your trees. Call your local U. C. Cooperative Extension Agent, he (she) will have info that can be emailed or faxed to you.

K

Brookeville, MD(Zone 7a)

Does this also affect flowering pear? I'm not sure flowering pear is really pear come to think of it... but the trees seem to have done the same thing Kathy_Ann's have.

Modesto, CA(Zone 8b)

Yup, sure does....check with your local AG agent, they know what to do for your area.

Brookeville, MD(Zone 7a)

Thanks!

El Cajon, CA(Zone 10a)

We have been having blight in our pear trees for the past 25 years, but they never get any worse and have had good crops of pears, we were told not to fertilize [ we don't] and give adaquate water..possibly our dry heat here helps not sure..our Asian pear never has hd this problem and is very close to the pear..I do know cutting out the blight and being very careful with pruning shears is most important..also possibility that different varieties could be more susceptable to the blight...

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.