minor coleus miracle

Monroe, NC(Zone 7b)

I think this proves that coleus are the easiest plants on the planet to root.

I found a giant-leaved coleus seedling growing in our garden. Apparently, the leggy growth in the shade made for a long cutting. Maybe it would have made it in soil, but I put it in water, and it slowly wilted, starting 2 weeks ago. Since my wife uses live leaves in her pottery work, I put the bottom leaves that I stripped off before putting the cutting in water, in a separate cup, to keep them fresh. One of the leaves stayed fairly firm, though a little puny. The other wilted and half dried crisp! (Obviously, she didn't get around to using them.) Yesterday, I pulled the original cutting out, with virtually no leaves left, and it is well rooted. I looked at the leaves, and they too were well rooted, even better than the cutting itself!

Now I wonder, with no growing tip for either the leaves or the cutting, how will the plants eventually sprout. I assume that they will put up new growth from the potting soil. I plan to put them into pots tomorrow, not far below the surface of the planting medium.

Has anyone had similar results? Looks like if one wanted to multiply a single plant, probably with extra time for sprouting a whole new stem, he could root most of the single leaves, at least the larger ones. :Possibly in soil, not water, to avoid transplant shock.

Peter

San Antonio, TX(Zone 8b)

Hi, Peter. Any signs of new growth yet on the rooted leaf and cutting? Yuska

Monroe, NC(Zone 7b)

Tkhanks for asking, Yuska. No signs yet. But the roots were nice, so I have hope! Even with healthier cuttings rooted in water, the transition to dirt sets them back, so who know how long this will take!

Peter

NEW CUYAMA, CA

I am glad to know there is hope for the coleus; as the ones I received in a plant trade turned to mush in water.........

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.