Brash seed statements

Merced, CA(Zone 9a)

In an attempt to understand all this and maybe share this with others who aren't sure, might I make some really bold and brash statements regarding seeds and pray someone with more knowledge will come along and correct them.

Every plant is capable of producing seeds. Somehow, somewhere and might requires ideal conditions to flower, but they all have the capability.

Hybrids also are capable of making seeds. Those seeds might not duplicate the parent, but they can produce seeds.

The formation of the seeds depends on if the plant has been pollinated.

Hitting "send" and holding my breath....

Sand Springs, OK(Zone 7a)

YOU ARE RIGHT

Melvindale, MI(Zone 5a)

Didn't realize that. Thanks ladyannne. I never ever saw seeds on my Clematis vines, but then again I guess I never looked for any.

Merced, CA(Zone 9a)

I'm right? Cool Thank you, Tazzy! Welcome, Hemlady! I found clematis seeds last year, totally by accident, and that got me wondering what else I was missing. Three hundred species later, I think I am finally getting it, or at least where and when to look.

Seattle, WA(Zone 8b)

Well not intirely true regarding 'all' hybrids. Some do not produce seed because it impossible to pollinate the flower....as with my seedless grapes. But for the most part your statement is correct.

Woodland Park, CO(Zone 4b)

Not exactly. Sorry ladyanne, it's a great starting point for some good discussion but....

1) not every plant is capable of making seed. Take some hybrids that have non-functional reproductive parts. Also the common "ditch lily" is sterile. Pollinate away but you won't get seed.

2). Some can and some cannot produce seed (see #1).. Some hybrids will produce seed that is not viable. Hybrids will produce seed that is anywhere from very stable to highly variable.

3) No. Agamospermy (sometimes called Apomixis) is asexual seed formation. Kentucky and Sandberg bluegrass, hawthorns, blackberries, mango, hawkweed, hibiscus, citrus, and dandilions are examples where this can happen.

Merced, CA(Zone 9a)

Ah, that is what I was looking for. I truly did not believe I was correct. I agree, a worthwhile discussion. Thank you!!!

Ripley, MS

what about ferns??? I have read and read about the "spores" but it just goes right over the top of my head.
Sandra

Merced, CA(Zone 9a)

Fern spores are single cells which produce a small heart shaped plant, quite small, called a prothallus which produces the female and male organs. Once those two get together, the plant produces a tiny frond, then roots and becomes a plant.

Once a fern starts producing a powdery spore, they recommend removing the entire frond and placing it in a paper bag with as little handling or touching as possible, remaining there several weeks during the ripening stage. If I understand it correctly, the spore casing (the brown spot, sporangia) actually sling shots out the spores when they are ripe.

Sowing should be done in a highly humus atmosphere with excellent drainage, leafmold, sand and decayed sod loam, and transplanted if needed when the plant has several leaves.

Hope this helps.

Dallas, TX(Zone 8a)

Hmmm... someone told me that bouganvilla did not produce seeds. I thought that was odd since I thought EVERYTHING produced seeds. Clearly not though, based on this thread. :) So, are those black spikes inside my fading bracts seeds or not? :) Jamie

Seattle, WA(Zone 8b)

Bougainvillea from Seed
http://www.houstongardening.info/bouginfo.htm#seed

Burlington, MA(Zone 6a)

Ferns are a good example of "Hidden Seed". They are actually under the leaf and kinda like attached so they are not noticable. They are not really seed but "Spores". Had a nice picture but can't find it. I probably planted the whole Leaf.

Ripley, MS

Ladyanne, so you will see a frond before the roots form on a fern???
I rescued some ferns from a yard where the tenants had moved (with permission from the owner) They were looking almost dead. I put the roots in a large pot, actually the top of an old grill, kettle type, and watered them. I have seen one little dab of a green frond on one plant. Is this from a thrown spore? Or did it come back from the roots already there? I know this may be dumb questions to someone who understands ferns, but I have very little knowledge about ferns. I had about 4 different ferns, do you think they will recover??
Thanks for your help.
Sandra

Merced, CA(Zone 9a)

Slcdms, there is a great thread about seed collectors, Cleptobotonics, lol! We probably would have saved those ferns with or without permission, lol!! All my ferns that have reproduced show a frond first, then they root in. I would not give up on them.

We have a theory here. A plant that appears to be dead deserves to be watered for almost an entire additional season. Many, many times, unless it is an annual, they actually will come back. So many are herbaceous and I didn't realize it. Hang in there and don't give up yet!

Ripley, MS

I do that too, I give it every chance, but I did not know what to expect with the ferns, since I have never had any. I have been know to lift a seed or 2, but I don't usually respond to threads like that. There is always one that has been hurt by people stealing things from them and it puts a damper on the fun stuff. I do enjoy reading the fun stuff though.
Sandra

Merced, CA(Zone 9a)

Truly, gardeners are people that don't hurt anyone, even when collecting seeds that are otherwise left to the winds. I have never found such delightful, honest loving and caring people like gardeners. We are the kind that water the neighbor's yards if they moved out and left them to die. Wishing you luck on the ferns!

Seward, AK(Zone 3b)

Good thread, ladyanne!

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.