Tilling a raised bed

Burlington, MA(Zone 6a)

I read that tilling a raised bed is destructive to worms and raised bed gardens as it contributes to packing down the soil. How then do I go about adding my dead leaves into the soil with out damage to the structure of the soil. My first year with raised bed was wonderful. I'd like to keep that experience going.

Willits, CA(Zone 8a)

Have you thought of double digging?

It's hard work... or great exercise (if you want to be optomistic). I've double dug several flower beds this year and the plants love it!

I went on a garden tour where they double dug ALL of their beds. They had it down to a science. They gave a workshop on the technique and actually made it seem possible. Anyway, I went out and got a spade and fork and have been double digging my yard...one bed at a time.

Burlington, MA(Zone 6a)

Appreciate the suggestion, but the beds are already esablished. I tilled the original ground 12 inches before setting the frames and then added 10 more inches on top so I have a cultivated 22 inches per bed. I just wanted to know how not to detroy good beds yet add my compost and leaves next spring without destroying established beds. I'll look at double dug, but if my mind serves me, that is for making raised beds from start and not ones already made.

Willits, CA(Zone 8a)

You can double dig to add ammendments to your already established beds too. The garden I mentioned above double digs all their beds...adding compost....every season. The good news is, it gets easier to dig each time!

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.