Amorphophallus Konjac tubers

Newburgh, IN(Zone 6a)

I dug up these tubers and plan to store them for the winter. Could anyone help me by providing directions on care and storage of them? Should I put each one of them in a separate pot with soil or peatmoss, or just put them all in peatmoss and wait to plant them in the spring? I have never dealt with this plant before. Thanks in advance for any advice.

Thumbnail by MsMaati
Chariton, IA(Zone 5b)

I'll wait with you for some help on this one. I had about a quart of little tubers, plus my big one.

Newburgh, IN(Zone 6a)

I dug up the mamma plant today. Here she is sitting on an 81/2 x 11 sheet of paper. Sure hope she makes it through the winter.

Thumbnail by MsMaati
MD &, VA(Zone 7b)

A very good friend of mine stores his smaller ones just in an open tray, bare, in his basement. His basement stays around 50*. He leaves the largest ones (flowering size) in their pots, but they do not get any water at all until they start growing on their own in the spring. He's done this for years with no problems. He actually gave me mine and got me started with amorphs a couple years ago.

I store mine in peat moss in a cool place for the winter and plant them in the spring. Both big and small. I have noticed that if you keep them too warm while storing them, they lose some of their mass and shrink in size a bit.

Newburgh, IN(Zone 6a)

Thanks Jody,

I have a cool spot in the basement, I will put them in there. I think I will put the big one in a pot of peat moss without water.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.