Toad Lily seed pods - when to harvest.

Newburgh, IN(Zone 6a)

I have a toad lily with numerous green seed pods on them. Do I take the pods now or wait until after they turn brown? I am afraid that we are going to get a killing frost any day now. Will the seed pods be nipped by the frost?

Thumbnail by MsMaati
Fort Wayne, IN(Zone 5a)

Toad lily blooms so late it is a race to see if they will develop before the snow comes. If they appear to be very green you can try a couple of things. If the pods seem to be fully developed but haven't turned brown, pull up the entire plant and hang it upside down in a dry, 45-60oF area. You want the air to circulate very well. If daytime temps are good and only nights are really cold, use floating row cover over the plants. It is sometimes called Reemay and it is also marketed as a cover for newly seeded lawns. It will work down to 17oF. Jessamine

Newburgh, IN(Zone 6a)

Thank you. Does the plant die and just reseed, or will the plant I have come back in the spring?

Brandon, MS(Zone 8a)

I believe it's a perennial - it will come back. I also read somewhere that germinating toad lily seeds "requires some expertise" as they require somewhat complex stratification (into the cold, out of the cold, into the cold, out of the cold...). Although, another site I found suggested sowing the seeds in pots and leaving them outside for mother nature to deal with the stratification (winter sowing).
Natasha

Newburgh, IN(Zone 6a)

Thanks Natasha, I will try doing that.

Crossville, TN(Zone 6b)

My toad lilies increase in number from the root system. I have has mine for 2 years and I have never seen any develop from seed. I do not remove all of the pods, only collect a few for trades.

Crossville, TN(Zone 6b)

My toad lilies increase in number from the root system. I have had mine for 2 years and I have never seen any develop from seed. I do not remove all of the pods, only collect a few for trades.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.