Penstemon seeds

Merced, CA(Zone 9a)

I have been watching my pentsemon and trying to save the seed. Might anyone have a picture or knowledge about these? As tiny as I suspect?

Woodland Park, CO(Zone 4b)

Yes, tiny to very, very tiny. Range from very dark almost black to lighter brown when ripe.
The capsule will turn from green to shades of tan-sometimes with a reddish to purple tinged edge. And the ends of the capsule will start to curl at the top and split apart when ripe.
I cut mine and at this time and place stems upside down in an open plastic baggie or paper sack (depends on stem and seed size). Let finish drying like this from a few days to a week or so and most of the seeds will fall out.
Because the seeds are small, I always loose some in the process from cutting to placing upside down in the sack/baggie/jar/vase but there is plenty of seed produced so I don't really worry about it.
I scatter the stems back in the yard when done just in case I've missed some seed.
Let them sit out a few extra days top a week after falling out of the capsules to really make sure they are dry before storing for the winter.
Hope this helps.

You made it sound easy and simple enough to make me want to be sure to bag my coral nymph tomorrow.

Thank you!

Merced, CA(Zone 9a)

Oh, Caron, thank you. My standard procedure is basically the same but I use trays of every size, sort I can find, from microwave dinners, sour cream containers to Costco salmon trays. I try and keep an eye on all the plants and snag them before the seeds drop. After a week or more of drying in a shaded cooler area, they get sorted and bagged. The pentsemon seeds must be just too small for me to see. I will start saving them!! Sorting, maybe not.

Golden, CO(Zone 5b)

This may not be the best comparison, but think the size of a flea. Before it's had dinner on the dog. I collect seed from mine many times because they get tall and mature in stages. I hold an open newspaper underneath and simply shake the stems every week of so.

Merced, CA(Zone 9a)

Terre, not a bad idea! Wondering about those brown paper bags, school lunch size. Label them and shake the pods into them every so often instead of cutting off the pods! Thanks!

Golden, CO(Zone 5b)

Anne, you will lose a lot of the seed in the folded flaps of the bottom of the sack.

Merced, CA(Zone 9a)

I thought about that and placed paper on the bottom, turning all the corners and gluing the edges up tight. Hope it works. : )

I use large margarine containers to do this, too.

Woodland Park, CO(Zone 4b)

If I'm concerned about getting all the seed (for smaller amounts of rarer seeds) I cut the paper bag open over a sheet of newspaper so I'm sure to get everything.

Castro Valley, CA(Zone 9a)

I've been wondering the same, I keep looking to see if ready to harvest, thanks for the great question!!!

Merced, CA(Zone 9a)

Hope we find out, lol!! I keep shaking but I don't see anything large enough but debris. Keeping it all anyway!

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.