The big freeze!!.....

Weymouth, Dorset, United Kingdom(Zone 9a)

When I turned on the comp this morning, the first thing I saw on AOL was headlines about the UK ,expecting a hard winter this year, and reading the bit about it , it's supposed to start next week!!..

i have all sorts of things growing and flowering still outside, cannas, brugmansias, etc..do I go out and drag these all in under cover?

I also have some huge Echium pininananas ,which I thought were going to flower this summer, but they haven't, so they must be poised to go next spring.

it would just be sods law that because I've kept saying that we don't get any hard weather here, we will...I'd be gutted if I lost these Echiums, as it's taken 2 years for them to get this far.

Has anyone else heard about this alleged cold weather ?

here's a photo of the echiums and cannas taken through my pation door at 9.20 this morning.

it was so dark, and lashing down with rain, you'd have thought it was about 6 a.m.

Thumbnail by sueone
El Cajon, CA(Zone 10a)

Sue if you guys are going to have a bad winter dear knows how my sister will make out in Cumbria...[cold frozen north] sounds like she got her new conservatory just in time...hope the predictions are wrong and your plants make it thru o'k....m

Thanks Marion, it might just be a big media hype, I don't see how they can judge that far ahaead.

I always mean to take my plants in, but never get around to it, and have always got away with it, but there will be one year when i get caught out!... :-)

I sometimes wonder if we live on a different planet here on the south coast. Have just listened to the weather this morning, and they were saying about how warm and sunny it was yesterday, not here as you could see from the photo taken yesterday at 9.30,it poured with rain all day, thunder, lightening.
Then this morning, he was saying about heavy rain, thunder, and what have we got...beautiful blue sunny skies.

This message was edited Oct 14, 2004 4:02 AM

Castelnau RB Pyrenée, France(Zone 8a)

LOLOL
The good old British weather ;)

I remember your lovely Echiums from your posts before. A plant I've longed to grow since I saw them on Madeira. You've inspired me to have a hunt for some.
I do hope these that you have cherished for two years will get through the winter OK

Oooh gotta go as the electrics need to go off, will be back.......

El Cajon, CA(Zone 10a)

that was some photo Sue, very dramatic, could almost feel the mood there, doesn't it drive you crazy these illiterate weather forcasts..not the sunny pleasant day that was forcast...Here we are having the opposite..we get these conditions called Santa ana [ very dry hot winds usually from the desert]..I had a late shipment of plants coming from Florida last week [delayed], temp around 80 F here and overnight it changed [this was not forcast] and we had a scorching 98* [with all of the modern paraphernalia they have you would think they could do better] so I have been frantically trying to keep them misted [ semi tropicals]..they arrived fine, 2 day delivery and should have been o'k, but now there's hardly any leaves left on the papaya..stalks all gone [ papaya is an herb but looks like a tree]...so the ''branches'' have all fallen off, and I have been fit to be tied..the seedlings [cinnamon] are faring no better..so have no idea how they will make out..I will have to invest in a timed misting concoction to help out..have plastic sheets everywhere...now we are back to our normal temps again for here...I have a new delivery next week also so hoping this does not happen again...this is typical weather for this time of year, but would help if we were told what to expect..[makes you wonder whose time they are wasting]... its a toss up !!

hope your plants recover.It's gut-wrenching when you're struggling to keep tghings going, must be even worse if you've just paid out good money for them too.

what season are you in now? If you're recieving plants I assume your growing season must be starting.

Here it's winding down, leaves going red, coming off some trees plants a bit earlier this year than others. Don't know why as it's not been drier or colder.

El Cajon, CA(Zone 10a)

this is our winter season Sue, but here in interior San Diego, we do not have any proper ''winter'' [frosty nights] until January..this is when we get our limited rainfall, usually Christmas is 80 degrees too..when I was younger I craved a white Christmas..now I don't care [smile]...My usual thoughts at this point is if the new plants will take any frost [ amazing how some of them tolerate well]...The reason the deliveries are so late [ they were ordered weeks ago] is because of the hurricanes in Florida, I did not want to cancel as those folks have suffered so much and the nurseries have been scrambling to fill orders.....There are also a lot of different varieties that we can obtain in Florida that we cannot get here [ but a shock to the plants coming from a hot humid climate..to hot and bone dry..] If I told you what I pay for postage [2nd day delivery] you would probably choke, but this is the only way I can do it, to have them arrive in good shape... needless to say..guess who in this family is completely oblivious of what it is costing [ smile] this is why I am even more upset about this weather...my son tells me we are in for more of the same within the next few days....[this makes your sinus 'squeak'..not nice..headache weather] Oh for some rain !!!!!

Isn't it strange how you always think that other peoples weather systems sound much more pleasanter than your own!...but I know logic tells you that each comes with their own set of problems too. Some more severe than others.

Do you not have much in the way of nurseries there, or is it that they just don't stock those things that you want? Here I suppose were're lucky in that I think you can get most types of plants that you want, there's nearly always a nursery that deals in whatever. There's one down in Devon I think it is that does (Resistios?) I want to check those out, as they looked interesting.(Next compulsion? :-) )

El Cajon, CA(Zone 10a)

There are a lot of tropical nurseries fairly near to us just up the coast..but they will not ship [ I still cannot shop]...so their loss Sue [except that it is costing me three times as much to ship] however, as this is the only ''out'' I have right now..and the gardening is almost my life..when I stop reacting to everything then maybe I can get out again [oh my, something to REALLY look forward to] cannot take perfumes deodorants etc., and gasoline is the pits etc.,
There is another nursery in Puerto Rico which I order from..they have a wonderful selection and costs less for freight, but they have to be cleared thru New York customs back east..so I have to keep that in mind weather wise, as it is so cold there..[could give you their address would ship to you..] They have the most wonderful selection of Heliconia..my new selections this summer will eventually reach 10-12 ft..no idea where I am going to put them...will cross that bridge when I get to it [ got some ideas and it will cost us smile]...Today is lovely again 82*, just the way we like it..but more heat coming....only problem talking about ordering plants etc., I hear someone else talking about something and I get the bug...
should keep a curb on myself but too old to change....lots of smiles here....m

I think maybe you and I are in the same sort of boat.
When a lot of your 'old' life has been taken from you, you latch on to something else...
I always enjoyed gardening, but revelled in the physical side of it, I enjoyed nothing more than going out to dig over a veg bed, taking out trees, etc...I'd always been extremely fit, and prided myself on my self-sufficiency.

When my third daughter was born prematurely, there were problems, and i had to go in for a caesarean.When I came out after that with a prem baby, an 11 month old and a 2 year old at home...and no hubby, he'd scarpered!!Mind you , that was better for me as he was a violent alcaholic.the gist of this was that I learnt to look after myself and my family. I became very independant.

then to loose all that, and to have to rely on others was very hard, 18 years on and I still find it hard, especially the inability to go out to do normal things that I want to.
Thats when I started growing things from seeds, then connecting with others on the net with similar interests, so I suppose it goes from one compulsion to another!!..:-)

I literally have hundreds of plants in pots down my drive, and still the collection grows, and here I am sowing seeds for next year already, with loads more waiting in the wings for spring.....stiil, there are worse things to be addicted to. At least I can give these away to schools, Guides etc.

Now, what did you say the name of that nursery was? Heleconias, I was admiring those the other day too, along with a few of the plants with the big leaves,(elephants ears? )
Have I got room for a few of these too...hhmm...sure I can squeeze them in somewhere

El Cajon, CA(Zone 10a)

Having to start this all over again Sue, just lost it [ grrhhhh]...however no good getting upset about it [spilled milk my mom would call it] ..just start again....
I was agreeing with you, same boat, 2 peas in the same pod..and yes, it is so difficult when you have been so busy and so independant to have to rely even on your own family to do so much for you...Like you I loved the manual work in the garden, carried huge bags of compost and manure around [ got huge muscles on my arms to prove it smile] my hubby has had to take over a lot though...and not too happy about it....
You had jogged my memory from an earlier thread when you were telling me about your health, and yes, that would have been the hardest place to be, but I greatly admire what you did and with those little ones...on your own, oh my, thats a lot to handle...which does make it worse now I can imagaine..For me going into retirement from a very busy life, and into retirement with health problems has been overwhelming..I used to be busy with a million things all at once it seemed...now I am almost lady of leisure and not by choice..I hate it !!!!
Like you, I have been planting so many seeds Ido not know what to do with them all..had about 100 plumeria, 80 sprouted but now they need repotting..and will have to be protected from frost, so I have really got my thinking cap on these days..numerous other stuff..cannot leave in pots like you otherwise hot sun dries them out too much..only the most hardy go into my pots outside [ succulents etc.,] so if they don't get watered for several days they will survive..
Should tell you that you will drool over these Heliconias..they send the best plants/trees/rhizomes..Bryan is the owner/manager and he is so helpful...also prices quite reasonable and air shipment is less than back east...[ had a shipment..trees last week Grumichamas..call them I think Brazillian cherry..?] anyhoo they are cherries..
Montoso Gardens Nursery..Peurte Rico
www.montosogardens.com
[ you will hate me for this]...smile...but I can only tell you again, that I have not found a better nursery...everything arrives [2 days air]in wonderful condition..did not effect those cherry trees in the least last week, in that horrible dry heat...they were fine...full of deep green shiny leaves and still are...
Rain has actually been forcast for tonight..will believe that when I see it..have not had rain since March this year...
I will be wondering now if you are going to order, well, will find out after you visit the web...if you can refrain you are a stronger person than me..I daren't go there....m

Sorry to butt in on the convo but even the Met Office say they can't really tell you a great deal of detail beyond a month. Like you Sueone, I sometimes think I live in another country weatherwise, must be our proximity to the south coast.

El Cajon, CA(Zone 10a)

Well, the rains came, but this was not forcast because this was one mighty storm..we do not get this type of storm coming thru in October [ normally Feb during the winter if we have them]..Weather-forecasters of course missed it by a mile, must have been a very large blot on their radar screens..!!!!
It was around 3-00am, I was sitting watching some tripe on TV when all of a sudden I heard this awful noise..thought someone was trying to break in but dogs weren't barking, then realised it was mighty heavy rain hitting our roof and a wind picking up outside, had apparantly blown something over...I listened for a while, was getting louder, then pondered whether or not the noise was any louder on our roof...Just recently one of my girlfriends was asking me if our newish metal tiled roof was noisy when it rained [a metal tile from an Australian company] she was one of the very unfortuate ones to have lost her home in the fiery infernos in San Diego County a year ago..[they are rebuilding and want a good roof]...WHile I am still pondering realised that I couldn't remember what our other roof had sounded like when it rained, and had forgotten to check our new roof out when it did eventually rain [ well this was 5 yrs ago]...still pondering as I do not want to lead her down the garden path with a noisy roof...when my hubby comes through with a flashlight in hand...He has been working on our new patio roof which he just completed last week, and was going around with the flashlight looking for any leaks [ it is an enclosed patio]..everything good, no leaks...I am still pondering the noise from our roof when my hubby returns some time later...he had been outside rescuing all my plants and seedlings from outside from another patio on the far side of our house...the roof there is an open trellis type and all my plants etc., were directly underneath [ I had not even gone there ]...My hubby moved them all..by now it is 5-00am and I am still watching TV [oblivious]...so now I am thinking is this the reason all those older folks resist retirement because they want to keep all of their faculties working properly and do not want their brains turned to MUSH !!!!
:›( :‹(( :›((((

I hope your roof was o.k. and no leaks.
that was good of your hubby to rescue your plants, mine would have just come in and told me what was happening!!...:-)

Not had any rain since March? wow, i thought we had it dry here when we get no rain for 7-8 weeks (not this year though)

Baa, they were talking about this report on the radio yesterday, I guess it's all in the lap of the Gods. One of the experts did say that if you go by past records, the last one that had a summer like this yeras was the coldest winter in memory!! We won't be using that one then!

i've quickly perused the web-site you so kindly sent me,(funny how one addict likes to drag another into trouble :-) ) and have bookmarked it for further perusal at my leisure later today, and even worse, they do seeds. I need to get my books out ,as I don't recognise half of them, not that that has stopped me growing things before.

El Cajon, CA(Zone 10a)

Oh boy Sue, DO THEY EVER SELL SEEDS...I will never have the room or the time for all the seeds I'v ordered..just be careful some have to be planted right away...[ I did not notice] I have more tropical seeds growing than what I could ever possibly use...maybe I will set up my own ''plants for sale'' table outside and see if I can sell any [ really kidding]...
so sorry to be leading you astray..[from one addict to another], but think of the fun we can have taking notes and comparing..[smile] also, if you don't find what you need in your books..order another book..ebay has used ones and very reasonable..just ordered another 2 over the weekend...I think I am dangerous to know...[ compulsive behavior] ha... you have been warned !!!!!

Oh no, not another e-bay fanatic too....groan...when my daughter comes home in the winter, we both go on e-bay, buying and selling,(mostly buying!! )
I've just bought a couple of books from Amazon, i hadn't realised that they did second hand books either.
that's the one problem with being fairly housebound, i find it all too easy to do most of my shopping over the net, and not always those essential items either ;-) still, I don't drink, smoke, go out to eat, so I've got to have some vice, and at least it's a healthy one.
I'll tell my hubby it's your fault then if this big parcel arrives for me? Maybe someone should start up a plantpersons addiction group?

El Cajon, CA(Zone 10a)

Yes, yes, tell your hubby that you have met a very nutty Brit out in Calif. who is leading you astray....I don't mind it is my fault...
Did not want you to think I was a complete fanatic, but yes again, I order from
Amazon too..lots of books and videos..to show you how bad this is I also order from Amazon UK..have a collection of their videos [ have a video converter...PAL to VHS] got tons of Videos which I will have to resell [PAL]..my sister says she will take some for Christmas so then I can pop them in her parcel....
I just have too much time on my hands and cannot stand being idle [ha]...and what better way to while away the time, and as you pointed out..I too neither drink or smoke or eat out in restaurants..or go to movies...so why should anyone complain..I'm not !!!![ wouldn't make any difference] !!!
[tell me what the damage is when you get there] m

i went through the site again yesterday, and got all excited because it all seemed so cheap for these beauties, putting loads in my basket, then found out that if you live outside the US. you have to add $50 for phytosanitary certificate on top of order ,+ postage.

Talk about gutted, i already had ,in my mind, these plants up and running in beautiful pots on my patio.Still...maybe I'll check out some british sites, now that I'm looking at these things,I've got to have one or two of them...maybe a few more..look so good on my patio walls,i knew there was something missing this year :-)

Do you grow yours in the ground or pots?I don't suppose you have to worry about taking them in in the winter.

El Cajon, CA(Zone 10a)

Am so sorry about this, almost feel as gutted as you do, but not to worry..there are companies in the UK selling exotic seeds etc..so you can still get those...will go on a search and know I can come up with some....[ I know you will have some good ideas of your own].. That is a great pity tho, especially when the mind has already conjured up how exotic it is all going to look....big sigh !!! but never say never....
Actually Sue, most of mine are fine during the ''winter'' here, however, we occasionally get a good freeze [ not often] but it happens..My plumeria look better inside than out and I have left them outside for years [in pots] and they do go dormant only takes longer to come out of dormancy...My semi tropicals are amazing what they can tolerate weather wise..but it is always wise to check before you put something outside...Right now my White Sapote [ fruit] is not quite ripe...I thought I'd had it this year as last year they ripened off by the end of August..however, re-reading requirements and fruiting times again [ different book] I find that a lot of the semi-tropical fruit actually do ripen late winter...which means that mine are o'k [white sapote re-bloom several times a year, so if you loose one then another one right behind] and it is re-blooming again...Same for the Cherimoya..I thought it would be a gonna, but they ripen late too..and I had to hand pollinate this year as its little buggies aren't around here to pollinate..Another amazing plant is the tropical pineapple..which are outside too, and they have survived a good frost in recent years..Heliconias will not take any frost at all, however I did discover a hardy one [ and have planted the seeds] which will take some frost...Heliconia Aff. Scheideana it takes snow and ice.....Don't mean to take up so much room but I have my winter storage space all figured out...going thru my sale catalogues [ you know Christmas shopping] another vice I have..catalogues.. when I discovered some very good quality mini greenhouses [ we have a gazebo which I was going to use and had already talked my hubby into putting fiberglass panels in there for winter protection] so I could house my plants in there..was very pleasantly surprised to find the mini greenhouse I had ordered was very good quality, steel tubular frames and well constructed..so have ordered more and found an octagonal screened gazebo [easy to assemble]....it will also cost less because they are all on 50% sale...its about 11½' x 11½' so ample room..so I think ?? I may have solved my problem of where to put what...I hope so as it was becoming a headache almost..[ now just to get it assembled]..New problem next year is what do I do with all of the plants in there as this is our patio area so the furniture will have to be moved back again...well, will cross that bridge when I come to it..thats next years headache !!!!!

Hey, snap again, we have a gazebo, and i got my hubby to put perspex in the windows so it could be used a lot more, never even thought of putting plants in there!!....not like me to miss a trick.

Maybe the furniture could stay outside this year (thats where it goes in the winter)I also have a little mini green house, but at the moment it's full of seed trays awaiting the little gems to show their faces, some of which are coming through. i really chuffed about Hellebore 'gold bullion'.I planted those last year, and didn't think that they'd germinate, glad I left the tray.

I bet our other halfs must moan and grumble about all this hassle that we cause with our plants. Mines biggest gripe is that in Spring/summer he can't get anything out of the garage beacuse i have pots /seedtrays galore, lined up from the garge door(nice warm and sheltered spot) right down the drive.

As for the seeds, well, off I pops to E-bay , just for a look-see, and what do you know, I found some heleconia seeds, hedychiums and one called ethgera? venuste (a heavily scented ginger? ) oh, and some banana seeds....er, and some gunnera...so i merrily bid away yesterday, and was over the moon this morning, I've won them all....all I have to do now, is make sure I germinate them in spring correctly..i can once again have my visions of my patio being surrounded by beautiful tropical plants and scents...sigh.....

think I'll maybe just pop back there again today, just for a look of course!

El Cajon, CA(Zone 10a)

Well, congratulations are really in order..GREAT! GREAT!! GOOD FOR YOU.. however, me thinks you do not need to be set a bad example you are already there....smile..:)))
What fun !!!! Another new lease on life !! that is what it is all about don't you think !
I could send you [ if you want..my treat] Heliconia seeds Scheideana [hardy ones],
Plumeria, Ginger,and I have some rare banana seeds [from a rare seed nursery here where I also shop]...let me know...also if there is something special you cannot locate, I could try!!
Snap!!! having your gazebo which you can now use [ your hubby will be pleased] mine was saying this morning that one of these days he will be coming home and finding plants hanging from the rafters....[??] possibly !!
Now what you need is a spa [ in your gazebo]...I use ours to float seeds [ in styrofoam lids] it works real well, and I have had lots of success with it, Plumerias really sprout well in it [ it ..the water is full of crystalised sea salt..am supposed to be using it to detox]...You just have to check seeds everyday to make sure they are sprouting and not left in too long..otherwise they will go mouldy [ speaking from experience] some seeds do great...others are so so...Ebay is a great place to shop, I got a lot of my plumeria cuttings from them...also my water lillies etc]...bless them...whatever would I do otherwise..[ I know I would find a way] smile...
Actually if truth be told I do a lot of shopping through ebay..for a lot of different stuff....you are doing good girl..just remember those seeds cannot take frost so you must protect...[ unless you can wait for warmer weather]
however, you can use heat mats..just an idea !! [ there I go again...just ignore me] I think I am becoming a fanatic..
let me know if I can be of any help....

El Cajon, CA(Zone 10a)

Have been checking this out..real nice seeds..but oh what prices..however they are offering 10-15 seeds, and a lot of ours are only 4 or 5..but if you have a lot sprouting then you do not need 12....I saw a few things I liked but will check around...NOW I am sounding smug [ sorry] but we have guavas growing like weeds and we just ignore them [pineapple, strawberry etc.,] we really don't like them but lovely flowers....so the ground gets well composted with the fruit...
www.jungleseeds.com.uk
The Pink porcelain lily [ginger] is flowering right now..a pretty ginger but nothing to write home about..the opened flowers have an attractive mustard with orange dots inside..apparantly it is perfumed ? I never checked [ most of my gingers have exquisite perfumes]...rain is spoiling tho', but would rather have rain..lovely !!!!!

Don't think I haven't been trying for a Spa, I bring it up frequently..but to no avail. We go to centre parcs every year with a couple of other families, and i often just sit and shrivel up in the spa/jaccuzi areas while the others go off swimming etc.
again never thought of using it for propogating reasons (not that I'd mention that one to hubby)
do you reckon I should germinate them when I recieve them? I do have a heated propogator, or should I wait for Spring?
I have bought things from Junglesseds before, checked out their lists the other day too. they're starting to do canna roots next year, might get a few of those....they grow so quick that it won't take too long to get a collection.

El Cajon, CA(Zone 10a)

As long as you can keep the seeds [seedlings] warm in a controlled temp they should be fine..I still like to put mine in warm water first..to help them along..was noticing written on his site [jungleseeds] that he grows plumerias but they have never bloomed for him so whats the use ? it is the flowers you grow them for and that lovely perfume..
We have to keep the spa up to around 90* my hubby just goes along with it all, he knows it is no use grumbling, I never take any notice anyhow!!when you reach a ''certain'' age..you feel you've earned it [smile]..
I will look that other site up and send that off to you, and yes, I am careful how I word that would not offer to just anyone...not sure if they would take it right...I am really sleepy it is almost 1-40am so past beddy bye time again, will look that web up later...and post again..

wish my hubby would be like that!!....He moans about everything, he's nick-named Vistor Meldrew (not sure if you would know the character?)

I've not noticed Plumerias before either, is this something else I should be checking out maybe?....hhmmmm perhaps I'll just go and do a bit of trawling ..

1.40a.m. are you mad? I can't remember the last time i stayed up that late!!!.....It's a big joke in my family, I have to be in bed by 6.30-7.30 in the evening, or I just don't function the next day.this is someone who went clubbing till all hours with her mates, used to crawl in with the milkman (not literally)Mind you, I think perhaps I did more than my fair share of late nights, so I can't complain. They always say it's a sign of getting older when staying in in front of a fire seems more attractive than going out :-)

El Cajon, CA(Zone 10a)

I stay up half the night Sue, it is now almost 2:10am and not ready yet, keep missing my beauty sleep [ what beauty sleep ?]..I am chuckling at Vistor Meldrew, no not heard of that one yet, we will probably get the tail end of it 5 yrs from now...[ anything to do with Mrs Glum ?] my sister has a habbit of calling people by that name..not sure where she got it from...I really wish I could sleep but I do 'collapse' from time to time...the rain has kept me awake [ we are not used to hearing it]..the plumerias are so gorgeous, but I could not imagine not having the flowers..they make the leis out of them in Hawaii and Tahiti, they always [ the flowers] take me back to our trips back there...dreamy and romantic, [ not that I am feeling romantic mind you]...amazing what we got away with in our youth..often tell my youngest about mother doing a half mile sprint to the nearest bus stop in spiky heels..its beyond me how I managed !!! I loved to run..but....[my grandaughter is in track..takes after her granny] but without the high heels..I must have been crazy !! Have around 5 web sites so still checking my saved and favourite files have them on one of them..its been a while...I will just keep looking...its in there !!!! In my situation it was not getting dressed up [ present circumstance excluded] that started going first, and then wearing sneakers [ would not be caught dead in sneakers when I was younger] then found out how comfortable they are...then the 'comfort' zone set it..so after that it was comfort first and the rest came last...so much for aging gracefully !!!!

Another thing we have in common then, I used to run for my school in the South Dorset Sports, I must admit though, i've never run in high heels, preferred spikes myself!!...

Victor Meldrew was a character from a comedy series(can't remember title at the mo) he was a real miserable old git!! with a long suffering wife. He would moan about absolutely everything, and put every bodys backs up.his catch phrase was 'I don't believe it! ' as something else would go wrong for him..it was really funny programe.

El Cajon, CA(Zone 10a)

I hope we get to see a lot of Victor Meldrew he is right up my street, there aren't enough real funny sitcoms anymore...just real silly ones...they are doing re-runs of Benny Hill again...been years since we've seen the series..was thinking of this guy who came over to my home years ago [Benny Hill was so very popular here back then] he was asking me questions and I remember one of the questions he asked was ''why are those guys on the beach wearing those napkins [ table napkins] on their heads with a knot tied in the corners... ?? [ha] I had to explain..made complete sense to us..just sounded funny to explain it...another one of those practical British habits...

............well my electrics didn't actually go off for the whole of that time ;)
Been enjoying your chat, but have had visitors so not much spare time to join in.
Yes, Victor Meldrew was one of those monumental creations that worked for so many people - we've all known one or two.... or maybe more LOL

Must have been a hoot explaining the handkerchief hats :oD

El Cajon, CA(Zone 10a)

It was Philomel it still brings a smile.. hope your family are having a real nice time visiting...

Thanks. It's been friends for a fortnight or more (including the one without whom I would never have had the idea to move) and today I pick up my son and family from the airport. They're staying for half term week, so the 4 grandchildren will have a whale of a time together. We haven't seen them since April when we left England.

I bet you're looking forewards to that Philomel, bet the grandchildren think it's a hoot. hope your weather is better than ours at the moment, usual weather WARNING !! rain, gales........
What kind of winter do you have in your region?
I always think that every understands the English sense of humour, but not so is it, we laugh at the stupidest of things.

We have blue sky and sunshine today :)
That wind passed through a couple of evenings ago on its way to you, but was not much here...

Must go to the airport now, but will be back to talk weather - I'm British after all lol

El Cajon, CA(Zone 10a)

Lovely weather here guys, around 78* a little warmer than yesterday and lovely sunshine [skies still brilliant blue and we can see for miles] which is not always the case, especially when we get some smog making its way down here from L.Angeles.. Today is a day in paradise..wish it would stay like this...nothing like a good soaking of rain to wash all the cobwebs away, and not joking we get pretty large spiders [harmless I think ?]that make their webs outside between the trees at night...and you really have to watch it in the mornings that you do not walk into them...[otherwise you will get a spider on your head] and I hate spiders !!!! they give me the creeps..
You know my humour gets me into trouble at times...mainly because folks do not understand and secondly they do not know me well enough so they think I am a flake...but thats o'k..my friends and family know me well enough to know that I am a flake !!!!! :)
harmless of course....
Years ago one of my girlfriends read this poem to me...she was quite emotional about it and I have not thought of it until I saw something just recently advertised with the poem on it....my girlfriend said she wants to be just like this old lady..wear a red hat and [spit] ???? I think not.....maybe wear the purple with a red hat !
"Warning" by Jenny Joseph..
When I am an old woman I shall wear purple with a red hat which doesn't go and doesn't suit me .
I shall wear a red hat..I shall spit..I shall pick flowers..I shall be free..I shall shop..I shall wear slippers..and with all of that an attitude too..[ sounds like me but I don't spit and no intentions] :)
:) :) Have fun Philomel enjoy those grandchildren....

El Cajon, CA(Zone 10a)

Ps in case anyone is interested the above poem is printed on a large cotton ''throw'' and is printed with a multitude of hats..mainly red ones, plus the poem.. [offered by the Smithsonian museum catalogue..."Christmas traditions"]

How weird , I was just reading a post somewhere yesterday about that poem, and I was thinking it would be ideal for my sister, she'd love that.
you freaked me out about those spiders, I have an ABSOLUTE FEAR of them. I can't even watch them on t.v. or see pictures of them!!....

When you get the fat brown ones here that make their webs in the Autumn, I'm walking around with a stick out in front of me, passing it round in circles, just in case there should be a spider and its web anywhere near me.....

As for these big black things that come in in september,I check everything before I get into bed, or sit down. Under bed, under pillows, throw back the covers.

El Cajon, CA(Zone 10a)

Can go one better Sue, you would freak out if you 'met' one of our subterranean termites..they are the ugliest suckers!! look like a huge plump scorpion [I think they may have pinchers too] and they move so slowly [they amble] and are so disgusting [ like something from a horror movie]..one of the reasons I would never let my grandaughter sleep on the floor in her sleeping bag [her favourite thing to do when she was younger..also camping out in the garden in a tent with grandad..never grannie, am not that soft]!!!
Like you I hate creepy crawlies, and when my hubby used to be gone on business whenever I saw something on the floor [ spiders, those horrible termites etc.,] I would cover them up with bowls, so when hubby came home I would have upturned bowls all over the floors with beasties inside...one of the worst was in my bedroom [ another horrible big fat termite, am talking 3-4 inches]..only problem was I had used a stainless steeel bowl and for 3 days and nights, that darned thing scratched at the inside of that bowl trying to get out until I could not stand it so had to sleep in another bedroom...[ it was still alive when my hubby rescued me and it]...ugh!!!!!! [could never understand how they got inside the house..must have squeezed thru the skirting boards]
ps was outside this morning wearing my nightie and red hat !!!! and I love that red hat... [ amazing about you reading that poem..what a treat for your sister]

Oh I can just picture you in your nightie and hat!!...
Bowls upturned all over the floor, no wonder they think of us as becoming eccentric when we get older.

You can keep your termites thank you very much,

My daughter, when she's on the phone keeps telling me about the various things crawling up her walls, and she has been known to go out on the verandah whilst talking to me because there's something unsavoury in her room.I think she must yell for a friend to get rid of it before she goes back in!!..

El Cajon, CA(Zone 10a)

Well not beasties this morning only lots more rain...[ heavenly rain] have just been on a jaunt around our garden complete with wellies, and umbrella [ and in my dressing gown]..the only way to do it...trunching thru all the puddles and giving it lots of wellie..at least as much as I can muster...Our ''soil'' [ walking areas] is still the original decomposed granite [snap Philomel] we have not taken a pick axe to it as we just wanted to put stepping stones [or crazy paving] along the pathways..however, it was a lot of work when we first came to live here..[farms out here years ago but a lot of the top soil was removed when they built] This is so wonderful having a 3rd storm, last year was those horrendous fires and so hot, but this is like an English day in the rain...love it !!!!![savour the moment]
Funny about your daughter Sue, I think we must all be alike, our grandaughter is almost like a little tom-boy [ like grannie was] however, like grannie, she almost goes hysterical whenever a beastie is around...We also have these horrible things that fly around outside called 'June bugs' [ don't know why 'June' they are around all summer maybe..? they appear in June]..however, they are like very large bumble bees only with black shiny shells [ but hard to distinquish from the bumble bees in the bright sunshine] and I kid you not, those things zero in on me like a rocket...I am terrified of them and they make the most awful loud droning noise [ much worse than a bee] Several years ago when we were visiting the Grand Canyon I got into such a panic that I almost fell off a rock ledge in my effort to run away..[lost my camera instead]...they really do fly into my face, so during those months when I know they are around..it is operation tennis racquet or anything I can get my hands on so I can take a swipe at those little buggers [ and that is not a swear word here smile !!] can get away with it..little buggers !!!! make my life miserable [like bees etc., they like the flowers, but also love fruit trees..so they are a pest] really have to be very careful what you are picking !!!! and I have had some very unpleasant ''surprises' :( :(

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.