SouthWest Florida Hoophouse!

Naples, FL(Zone 10a)

Ok we have begun a new project. A raised bed hoophouse! We are almost done, just need to frame in the door, and cover with plastic. It is 20X32 and we expect to pay under $500 for the whole deal. Check out our website for more details and photos! - Scroll down a bit its after the pics of my Nephew and me in the pool. Thanks!

http://inthekeyoflife.typepad.com

Thumbnail by Moonblink
Archer/Bronson, FL(Zone 8b)

Moonblink,

Very nice job there. Great pictures.

I had a question about the PT wood. Since this posting is in the vegetable gardening forum, I will assume you will be planting edibles.

Is it really prudent to be using PT wood in this area? Aren't you concerned about the arsenic leeching into the soil and the foodstuff? Or have they changed the procedure for treating wood?

I was concerned about these questions when I built a raised bed at my old house. I had it near my herb garden. So I just bought regular wood and painted the heck out of it. I figured it would last about 5 years that way.

What are your thoughts on this?

Molly
:^)))

Naples, FL(Zone 10a)

Yes the procedures for PT wood have changed, they no longer use arsenic to cure the wood. So its safer to use. :) And yes I will be planting edibles! Cant wait! Thanks!

Archer/Bronson, FL(Zone 8b)

MB,
That is good news. Can't wait to hear about your progress!!

Molly
:^)))

So.App.Mtns., United States(Zone 5b)

Hyperlink would not open for me.

Comment: Anything that will keep pests from eating the wood is not something I want near my foodstuffs. How can it kill them and not affect me?

East Barre, VT(Zone 4a)

MB, your hoop house looks great and gives me lots of ideas for next year. I'm planning to quit my 20 year banking career in 18 months to garden full time and live off my land. I'm looking for easy ways to extend my season here in Northern Vermont. I'll try it this spring. It looks easy to build and easy to maintain. Thanks for the pics.

Naples, FL(Zone 10a)

Darius, The wood in our garden is only for protection and structure, we are growing everything in pots and grow bags, so the dirt will not come into contact with the PT wood. If we were planning a raised bed we would have used regular untreated lumber. I agree that Chemicals have no place in a veggie garden. I will take some photos of our grow bag garden when everything is planted. We had a plastic issue and now we need to get the seeds started and mix the medium. I appreciate all the comments, we are just starting out, and having fun! Thanks! :)

Moonblink

Fritch, TX(Zone 6b)

Looks great Moonblink! I am envious, your sprouts look yummy...

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.