Propagating Cut Flowers

Decatur, GA(Zone 7a)

Yesterday a friend brought me a beautiful bunch of cut flowers. I would like to root 2 of the mums. One is a pincushion type that is solid green. The other is a smallish (1 1/2 inch) open mum with a yellow center, true purple petals, and a halo effect of green petals surrounding that. The purple mum has no leaves while the green one has a very few right up around the flowers.

Has anyone rooted cut flowers like this before? If so, is it done the normal way with a rooting hormone and soil? If I can't root them, is there a comprehensive web site that has pictures of all the mums available so I can try to find these?

Carmen

Merced, CA(Zone 9a)

I have tried many different things with many bouquets and only came up with viable seeds once. BUT, I keep trying new ideas!

Sand Springs, OK(Zone 7a)

I get the big mum and asters out of trash at florist and i have a lot of them i rooted .i take the biggest stem and put in hormone power and right in to potting soil been doing it a month and they are rooting .

I did. Check out http://davesgarden.com/forums/t/465471/

Hanover Twp., PA(Zone 6a)

Hi!, I try to buy one of the large ornamental Chrysanthemum x morifolium each year. I take the plant home cut off the flower and cut the stems up into 6" or 8" pieces. I remove the bottom foliage and insert the cuttings in moist soil, cover the cuttings with a plastic bag and within three to six weeks roots have formed. I pot the cuttings up and usually lose a few over the winter but many survive for the next year. They are simple to root. The larger the stem the larger the flower.

Thumbnail by mgarr
Northwest, MO(Zone 5a)

Oh my gosh Mgrr....that is a beautiful photo. Will these survive outdoors in harsh winters?

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.