Growing roses from seeds

Cedar Springs, MI(Zone 5b)

An online gardening friend sent me some rose seeds.
Anybody here have any experience starting roses from seeds?
Any advise appreciated. :)

Porterfield, WI(Zone 4b)

I start these by winter sowing method. I've had great success, and blooms the first year on Bonica Rose. Here is a picture to show you! The other pot is a Japanese Maple also winter sown. Legit

Thumbnail by Legit

Details PLEASE!!

Porterfield, WI(Zone 4b)

Here is a link to the WinterSown Organization http://www.wintersown.org/wseo1/Site_Map.html

Their site is under construction right now, so you need to use the tiny words at the bottom of the page. I am a presenter for Master Gardeners, and this is my main topic along with propagation, and seed saving. You will find all that you need on the Winter Sown page if you have a little patience.

Also if you want to do some reading you can click on the search button at the top of the page, and type in Winter sowing, and you will get many discussion threads. There is also another site that has a Winter Sowing Forum.

Also, you may message me if you like, I will be glad to share all that I know, and answer any questions after you do a little reading! Legit

Brandon, MS(Zone 8a)

I'm glad you posted this link, it has GREAT info, particularly for a beginner like me.
Natasha

Porterfield, WI(Zone 4b)

Thanks, natasha, glad to help! The most important thoughts to keep in mind is to stick to perennials that would possibly self-sow and are hardy in your area, and take good care of your containers to see they never get too dry or too wet, and you can't hardly fail!!! From there you can start to experiment, my favorite container is the good old milk jug!! Have fun! Legit

Legit thanks much for the info! :)

Seward, AK(Zone 3b)

I have seeds from two of our local old time roses here in Seward. One is a single deep pink rugosa... very fragrant with crab apple sized hips.

Thumbnail by Weezingreens
Seward, AK(Zone 3b)

And the other is a white Scotch rose. Both are old time varieties, so I think they would be likely to come back true from seed. If anyone would like to try them for winter sowing, send me an email.

Thumbnail by Weezingreens

I'm having trouble accessing the information on that website legit even when using the buttons on the bottom of the home page.

Seward, AK(Zone 3b)

CR, try clicking on the New Stuff Link.

Porterfield, WI(Zone 4b)

Make sure you aren't using the buttons on the left, scroll way to the bottom of the page, and click on the teeny tiny words, if this doesn't work for you, email me and I will send you another link to use. Thanks, Legit

San Jose, CA(Zone 9b)

Wow, Legit, nice job on the rose and the Japanese maple. Was the maple grown from seed? If so, any special pointers? I really love those trees.

Porterfield, WI(Zone 4b)

Yes, they were from seed received in a trade, and started using the winter sowing method also. No special treatment, just winter required. I would think they'd need a stratification period in warmer zones, but I can't be sure, I don't have any experience there. If I were you, and I had the seeds, I'd do a few with a stratification period, in other words, moist refrigeration, for a period of at least 90 days, and a few without to see what would happen!

Let me post some questions to people who may be in your zone. How cold does a winter get for you??? Legit

legit
I *did* use the small buttons on the bottom of the page.
I also did an online google search on growing roses from seeds and surprisingly could not find any help.
If you could give me the basics on direct winter sowing of rose seeds I would appreciate it.

This message was edited Oct 10, 2004 7:33 AM

I just tried your link again Legit and it takes me to a page other than the home page with no links to other pages???

Porterfield, WI(Zone 4b)

Cottage rose, I sent you a message. I did not do anything special with the rose seeds, just followed the winter sowing procedures. Legit

San Jose, CA(Zone 9b)

Legit, it usually doesn't drop below forty, rarely to mid thirties and then we think it's freeezing, but of course that's just because we are wimpy and used to milder weather. I find myself looking forward to the cooler weather, getting a little tired of the heat.

Bellaire, MI(Zone 5a)

Cottage rose, you have mail.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.