Little project grewwwwwwwwww!

Newburgh, IN(Zone 6a)

We began a small project about 3 weeks ago.

Thumbnail by MsMaati
Newburgh, IN(Zone 6a)

Wanted to solve an area that would not grow any grass. Started out with a small patio. Then a couple of walks

Thumbnail by MsMaati
Newburgh, IN(Zone 6a)

Now it is enveloping the whole shady area.

Thumbnail by MsMaati
Newburgh, IN(Zone 6a)

The neighbor got involved and is creating a complimentary area too.

Thumbnail by MsMaati
Willacoochee, GA(Zone 8b)

you are my hero.

just don't let my wife see these pictures....

What you have done looks incredibly inviting. I love the look of those paths you created.

Newburgh, IN(Zone 6a)

Thank you both for your kind comments. We continue to add more walks each weekend. I will continue to add more photos. I could use some suggestions for colorful shade plants. My husband is getting pretty tired, but he keeps on helping.

Thumbnail by MsMaati

Are you making your path stones or buying them somewhere?

Plano, TX(Zone 8a)

MsMaati,
Wow, I'm so glad I found this thread. I responded to you on the other thread but you only had that one picture. This is amazing! As I mentioned, hostas are gorgeous, easy shade plants and the other suggestion was a small boulder with toad lily growing over it. Astilbe is a shade plant that doesn't take up much room and it comes in beautiful colors. Try this company for some great woodland shade plants. The owner, Gene, is wonderful to work with and I have been extremely pleased with the plants I have ordered from them. http://davesgarden.com/gwd/c/46/
Terrie

This message was edited Oct 8, 2004 9:33 AM

Newburgh, IN(Zone 6a)

I am making my stones. I purchased a mold from Lowes. It takes one 60lb back or concrete mix per 2'x2' set of stones. Since the stones are seperate, you can make curves and angels. It has been much fun. So far we have layed down 45 bags of concrete with 30 more to go before we call it done for the winter. I want to make more paths along the creek next spring. Grass does not grown out there. However, the ground is covered in the spring with little pink wildflowers. Here is a before shot of the area we are working on. This was taken in late August, just before we started laying the stones.

Thumbnail by MsMaati
Plano, TX(Zone 8a)

What a beautiful area!

A mold huh? Sounds incredibly creative to me. I don't have a Lowes around me but they said they were going to be building one. I love your paths.

Say, thanks for the link to Munchkin Gardens. I'll go check them out.

Osage City, KS(Zone 5b)

BEAUTIFUL MsMaati..... and how wonderful of your hubby to help..... I've seen those molds and always wondered how well they worked and how well it held up ...... All projects start as just a little project ..... My money this year went into River Rock to create my garden areas but maybe next year I can lay some paths like these....... Thanks for sharing

Newburgh, IN(Zone 6a)

Thanks for all the kudos, I posted step by step for making the paths under this link.

http://davesgarden.com/forums/t/461468

Newburgh, IN(Zone 6a)

Calling it quits for the fall, to be continued in the spring. Time to rake leaves, build up that compost pile, Ha Ha.

Thumbnail by MsMaati
Plano, TX(Zone 8a)

Oh, that turned out beautiful!

Oh THANK YOU!

It doesn't look nearly as scary and overwhelming with the photos!

North Vancouver, BC(Zone 8b)

Oh My! This is my first look at this forum and I'm in awe! What a wonderful area you have created.
It sounds totally backbreaking but totally sensational.

Newburgh, IN(Zone 6a)

Thank you Liz. It was a lot of work but we enjoyed it and I am looking forward to expanding it in the spring.

Springboro, OH(Zone 6a)

Beautiful, MsMaati :) Well done. Did you make DH a pie or rub his back after all that?! lol :) Wanted to suggest leatherleaf viburnum as a lovely shade plant. Pretty spring blooms and lovely fall color. Will take full shade. Don't know if it's in the PDB or not. Keep us updated!

--Hugs

Springboro, OH(Zone 6a)

Leatherleaf viburnum is in the PDB. I typed "Leatherleaf Viburnum" just like that with quotes and all. Copperbaron has some nice pics. PDB says sun to partial shade, but I checked a shade gardening book here and it says the shrub will take full shade as well, but partial shade is preferred. Shrubs make good focal points (although your patio seating is a strong one) and they also take up some room with minimal care if chosen correctly. Happy gardening :)

-- Hugs (Jacci)

Newburgh, IN(Zone 6a)

Thank you, I will look at that plant. (my daughter's name is Jaci) lol

NW Qtr, AR(Zone 6a)

Wellll, now MsMaati .. I'm most curious .. as to why you haven't sent us any updated pics .. of, yet .. another most beautiful garden area .. that I/(we) can go 'virtually' strollin' thru every now and again ? ..

THAT .. has apparently been quite a wee lil undertaking for the two of you (hee).. But, my oh my .. hasn't it turned out beautiful .. and seemingly well worth the effort and labor!?!?! .. wow! ..

Bet that area is some mitey purtily dressed in its latest winter attire, by now .. Sure'd be nice to 'lay eyes' on it, just drenched in snow .. (hint, hint?) .. hee

Jes a simply beautful 'shade' garden !

- Magpye

Newburgh, IN(Zone 6a)

Well, I waited until some of the snow melted so you could at least see the walk. Here is the shot from my window today. Still pretty dismal outside.

Thumbnail by MsMaati
Plano, TX(Zone 8a)

Wow, what a difference a season makes! Is that a creek in the foreground?
Terrie

Newburgh, IN(Zone 6a)

Yes it sure does. Yes that is a creek. It is dry most of the year. Only flowing on big rains and in season of snow melts. Most of the summer it is bone dry.

Plano, TX(Zone 8a)

I was thinking I never noticed it in the previous pictures so I went back and looked. Guess the angle pictures were taken from never included the creek. It is lovely.

Newburgh, IN(Zone 6a)

Thanks, yes the angle is different plus the creek was full of leaves. The last fall picture shows 4 steps and the leaves now only three steps because of the water.

Castro Valley, CA(Zone 9a)

I just came here from your other thread, great job, looks really nice, waiting for spring to see your new pics, Annie

Newburgh, IN(Zone 6a)

Thanks Annie

Newburgh, IN(Zone 6a)

Well the new season begins. We plan to add another flower bed in our shady garden. It has grown each year. Here is a spring picture of the first bed that we built. I need to get out there and grab the grass out of my walk but the spring bloomers are looking ok. I am still using the same mold for our walks. I will post more later if you are interesting in seeing more.

Thumbnail by MsMaati
Danielsville, GA(Zone 7b)

Inspireing,keep up the progress,your ideas rub off.Mike

Plano, TX(Zone 8a)

The hostas are lovely!

Fort Pierce, FL(Zone 10a)

Yes, please post more pictures! You have created such a lovely spot.
Pati

Stanford, CA(Zone 9b)

Oh, I would so love to walk that path. You've done a beautiful job!

North East England, United Kingdom(Zone 8a)

You are so lucky to have this much space!

Newburgh, IN(Zone 6a)

Thank you all for all of your kind remarks.

I have finally gotten a hold on the weeds and done some of my spring planting. Here are a few of the pictures that I took this morning.

If you are interested in a list of the plants in each bed let me know.

I would say that 75% of this area would be considered shade and some of it even full shade.

Our neighbors took out two of their deteriorating trees this spring so I may get a small amount of partial shade this year. I am trying a couple of plants that need a little sun. We will see.

Thumbnail by MsMaati
Newburgh, IN(Zone 6a)

This bed gets just a little morning sun. I generally plant Impatiens in here after the paperwhites are done blooming.

Thumbnail by MsMaati
Newburgh, IN(Zone 6a)

Newest addition after planting. I added some new plants to my new bed. I really like the look of the Jack Frost I sure hope it does well here.

Thumbnail by MsMaati
Newburgh, IN(Zone 6a)

Here is a closeup view of this bed.

Thumbnail by MsMaati

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.