Mandevilla

Moose Jaw, SK(Zone 3a)

Does anyone have any tips for rooting Mandevilla? Thanks

Atascadero, CA(Zone 8a)

Hi IC. . . Amer. Hort. Soc. Plant Propagation recommends rooting softwood and greenwood Mandevilla cuttings in early summer with bottom heat of 68-77 degrees. If you need more info on greenwood or softwood cuttings:

http://davesgarden.com/forums/t/419752/ See rebel888's post on softwood cuttings

I have some good instructions on greenwood and softwood cuttings from the aforementioned text if you'd like them. Other DG's might know of a good thread on this subject. . .anyone? . . .or maybe some firsthand experience?

Moose Jaw, SK(Zone 3a)

Yes, JC thanks for the link, the more info I can get the more ways I have to kill things! Take Care, Joelle

Park Hill, OK(Zone 6b)

I have found they take longer to root than most plants about 8-12 weeks. I stick a 2 leaf cutting with a stem below the leaves about 1 inch long. Wound one side of the stem with a scrap and dip in a powered hormone 3000 IBA is fine. Stick in a well drained mix 100 % perlite is best. Stick cuttings up to the leaf node but no deeper. Avoid the leaves touching the soil as this will make them rot and fall off, then all chances of rooting will be lost. Bottom heat at this late in the season is probably a must. I have had pecentages from 20% to 80%. The problems seem to be in the summer, the cuttings want to bleed, and in the fall they take to long to root and the daylight hours are to short. You might also try lighting them, even after rooting them, and would not hurt anything. Most small starter plants come from Florida, they root these without even trying. If you can keep the plant alive until spring you might try then.
Good Luck &
Good growing

Moose Jaw, SK(Zone 3a)

Thanks ICtrees, I am having some success but only about 10%! I will try your way.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.