I am getting more.

Citrus Heights, CA(Zone 9b)

I don't know if the hummer population is heading my direction, but the humfights are taking place hourly. This new little terror likes my new Salvias I just got.

Thumbnail by RichSwanner

These are in sequence and it was getting dark.

This message was edited Oct 6, 2004 9:35 PM

Thumbnail by RichSwanner

8ft away

Thumbnail by RichSwanner

6ft away loves the new Salvia Waverly.

Thumbnail by RichSwanner

Going through the feeder, Nah, just looks like doesn't it?

Thumbnail by RichSwanner

This is a boy I think because of the mask. These pics are all of the same bird. Lighting and hummers, what changes they can get.

Thumbnail by RichSwanner
Modi'in, Israel

Wow Monterey, those are great pics...as usual! I really envy your huge hummer population! It must be so fun for you! :-)

-Julie

Castlegar, BC(Zone 6b)

Fabulous photos! Thanks for sharing. Your little visitor is beautiful.

Frederick, MD

Wow--how on earth do they allow you to get so close? If even move a muscle while hummers are around, they zoom away like meteors.

Austell, GA(Zone 7a)

Great shots!!! Thanks for sharing...
Brenda

Northern, IN

You're at the high water mark on hummingbird photography!

(Zone 8b)

I'm jealous my photos come out all blurred cos the little men won't keep still! Great pics.

San Diego, CA(Zone 10a)

I wonder if they are settling in for winter. I have added feeders this week for the "increased" population. Or perhaps others do not know that these littlle beauties will stay around and are taking their feeders in for the winter.

Your hummer shots are so beautiful.

Dacula, GA(Zone 7b)

Great pics Monterey. I wish we had them here all year, but they are almost all gone. Still a couple around, but I expect they'll be gone soon. We call them hummer wars here when one takes exception to sharing.

Moab, UT(Zone 6b)

Monterey if you get another Waverly for the hummers it would work best if they're not planted near each other. Your hummer will be just as selfish with 'his' bush as with a feeder.

Spin's waverly was next the walkway and the hummer would fly right up to the face of anyone trying to use the walk. And let no other hummer think of drinking there. LOL ~ Blooms

Like this! LOLOLOLOL!

Thumbnail by RichSwanner
Santa Ana, CA(Zone 9b)

Yup, my Anna's once challenged a workman (window installer I think) so fiercely, he exclaimed "What is going on?!!" I replied, "Ahem, you are standing by HIS bush."

However, it (the Waverly, not the bird) wouldn't stop pushing up under the eaves (!) and trying to be as wide -- and it was only in a 2' bed along the sidewalk! So I replaced it with a Purple Rain (Reign?), a S.argentea, and a S.patens. The patens died -- not enough sun I presume; and the verticillata (P.Rain) lost all its leaves in the September heatwave. The Silver Sage came back for its third year (despite being a bienniel?) -- I'm waiting on the Purple Rain (it was same age, so maybe has roots to come back from)... and am considering interplanting with some of the bulbs my trading partners have bestowed on me! As the argentea and verticillate do not bloom for v.extended period like the Waverly and other Salvias, and it *is* my front walkway.

You must have a zoom and a VERY fast shutter on camera -- I couldn't *think* of taking those shots!
~'spin!~

1/60 of a sec. The real trick is to be able to follow him and get the auto-focus to seek and hold. I just started shooting them. I will get better! I had to use flash and catch him on his up swing, thats why the Salvia is moving but his head is not.

See this is not as good but his color shows nicely.

Thumbnail by RichSwanner

Check out this guy! This is a real "you takin a picture of me?" look.

Thumbnail by RichSwanner
Long Beach, CA(Zone 10b)

Your hummers are great but BUT (and Spin can jump in on this!!) I do love my Waverly! The foliage is so beautiful and the flowers are sweet.

Maybe they shouldnt be placed so close but gosh I love my 4 (going to be more when my rootings are ready) together with my silver plectranthus. Very sympatico plants.

Modesto, CA(Zone 8b)

Those pics are incredible! We have a joke in our family that one day we will find our Dad dead in his back yard with a hummingbird stuck in his forehead. Gosta duck fast or stay the heck away from their territory! LOL

Rohnert Park, CA(Zone 9a)

We have Anna's year round. Here is our territorial male come down from his spy tree and is working over Salvia Mexicana Limelight.

Thumbnail by Chilidawg

Cool shot! I just got Limelight yesterday, thanks for a glimse of my future!

Moab, UT(Zone 6b)

Chillidog that's a great head on view of the hummer - does the limelight have paler leaves of a limey color?

Yes it does. A great contrast between the blue-violet and light yellow. there are more shots in the database under salvia mexicana limelight.

Here is that same guy sitting up in a Wahington Hawthorne ready to chase anyone who eyes "his" domain.

Thumbnail by Chilidawg

and again

Thumbnail by Chilidawg

This is the same guy as my pic 9 panels up. Funny how they change their look so much in different light.

Thumbnail by RichSwanner

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.